It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

What if Grealish takes his game to another level & increases his output in terms of goal involvements
What if KDB stays fit all season
What if Haaland tops his feats from last season
What if Foden produces what we all know he can for the entire season
What if Rodri repeats his consistency
What if Bernie extends
What if Kyle stays another season
What if the best defence in Europe finishes the season best defence in the world
What if Pep revolutionises the way we play again
What if we unearth another gem from the academy
What if Eddie wins the golden glove again

None of that is improbable. And what if us fans get behind the team better than we did last season, and build enough momentum to carry us to more glory, new songs, more displays, better atmospheres, don’t underestimate the part we all played last season, but we can’t labour our way into the season like some sound like they’re gonna do on ere, I can only imagine the outrage next week if we lose to Arsenal, remember last season ?

I ask myself a few questions.

(1) Who has the best starting eleven?
(2) Who has the best squad?
(3) Who has the best manager?

And I always come to the same answers

(1) Manchester City
(2) Manchester City
(3) Manchester City

Case closed
Having done a first go at my FFL squad for next season earlier this evening, I know exactly what you mean.

That said, when it comes to picking 3 of our players, it’s all about who’s likely to play most often.

Yes, but doesn't every team have key players who could miss matches? It seems as though the newish posters I've seen on here are the most pessimistic, miserable bunch of fuckers I've ever seen. Christ knows what they'd be like if we went back to the days when we really were shite.
Just imagine each club had the same luck as regards injuries etc (no chance us getting the same rub of the green as teams in red) and who wins the league?

Good to see most of the forum are coming to my side and finally seeing the obvious flaws in our squad and how our board has fucked things up till now. and this is not the first time they have done it. they failed to replace a obvious gap left by Kompany and they did not give pep necessary striker for 2 seasons. in the final against chelsea if we had a striker they will not have been able to shut down our offense like they did. similarly vini fucked a aging ferna in the CL semis because we did not have a extra CB cover. so the board has already cost us a PL and a CL and if not for Pep more probably.

Do you think if a business like Amazon will keep their CEO if they drop from 1st to 3rd in a year. No they will be fired and so our board of executives should also be in the firing line if our season goes tits up after a treble because of their failure in the transfer market. our board are good but not great. to stay at the top we need the very best.

the reason my approach is superior to all the plebs here who suggest to just be happy for the past and let mediocrity stand is because with my approach there are many more trebles possible and create a long lasting legacy in football while with their approach we have already reached the top and from here the only way is down.
You need to stay away from the mean green.

Good to see most of the forum are coming to my side and finally seeing the obvious flaws in our squad and how our board has fucked things up till now. and this is not the first time they have done it. they failed to replace a obvious gap left by Kompany and they did not give pep necessary striker for 2 seasons. in the final against chelsea if we had a striker they will not have been able to shut down our offense like they did. similarly vini fucked a aging ferna in the CL semis because we did not have a extra CB cover. so the board has already cost us a PL and a CL and if not for Pep more probably.

Do you think if a business like Amazon will keep their CEO if they drop from 1st to 3rd in a year. No they will be fired and so our board of executives should also be in the firing line if our season goes tits up after a treble because of their failure in the transfer market. our board are good but not great. to stay at the top we need the very best.

the reason my approach is superior to all the plebs here who suggest to just be happy for the past and let mediocrity stand is because with my approach there are many more trebles possible and create a long lasting legacy in football while with their approach we have already reached the top and from here the only way is down.

Knob

Stop the glue sniffing you clown

I’ll give you £300M who you signing ?

Some people, and it seems you are among them, have already rationalized that whatever happens next season is fine because we won the treble last season. I don’t include myself in that. I have and will always celebrate all our achievements, but I don’t want to become enamored with the past when we have all the resources to remain champions.

Needless to say, I am not saying our rivals have what it takes to win the treble, nor am I asking that we do it. But, in all competitions, we do have serious rivals. The league will be harder and the CL have strengthened teams.

This season cannot be compared to the last in terms of outgoings and incomings, yet, because we added the biggest superstar in European football that changed our profile, and we strengthened (almost by accident) defensively on deadline day. As of now, we have effectively weakened ourselves.

I don’t agree AT ALL with your assessment of Arsenal. Rice, Havertz, Timber all excellent signings for them. They add not only quality but also the character and hunger needed to try again. It isn’t yet a perfect squad, I agree, but it doesn’t seem to me that they’re done in the market yet either.

You say we have enough to prevent falling off. I don’t agree with that, and it’s okay to have disagreements. The squad is thinner, the bench is weak, the options aren’t varied, the one replacement is decadent, and even the filler kids aren’t the best we’ve had. There are many causes for concern but maybe especially a matter of character. Ruben and Phil can talk in interviews all they want that the hunger will be the same, but it’s highly unlikely and that is something that I believe can be fixed in the market. The squad needs to feel fresh. The Euros happen at the end of the season and we need players to not be thinking about that because they’re already successful.

Now I understand that some, including you, look at people like me and see: pessimistic, spoiled etc. It’s just a difference of perspective. If one wants to settle with having won the treble I am not one to interfere. I just believe that the amount of money the club spends to keep a season going isn’t to waste it. And, although he hasn’t explicitly said so, with enough hints of this being the best manager in history’s penultimate season ay the club, I don’t want to throw that away either by inaction and have another 19/20.
I mean difference of opinion aside I have never insinuated you’re spoiled though. I think we all are. But yeah fair points, I just need to see evidence on the pitch for rival team improvements, because hypotheticals don’t matter to me, on paper signings for Arsenal look good, bar Havertz, but yeah. My stance on them remains the same.

There’s also nothing wrong with wanting standards maintained, it’s just a case of differing in how you want them to approach that, I tend to believe the market isn’t the sole answer when there’s a squad like ours. Gone are the days of being proactive, for me it’s just about being reactive now, see what really needs to change and don’t try to overdo it. It worked for most teams across europe, Madrid being a solid example, and far as CL talk goes, next years teams are even weaker than this years, I’d even double down and say we can do a back to back in CL adding just Gvardiol.

Lastly, the bench for me has been weak for 2 years now given how we play, so I’m not expecting a vast difference in quality this time around. For record, most teams that go onto win big ears and big silverware tend to do it with their core squad and others chipping in. I’ll trust Pep with that, I’ve no reason not to, for him to find a new solution. Yet again, there is no pre-conceived notion of believing anyone is spoiled or in over their head, it’s simply realising you can be as best prepared as possible and things can still fall apart. The preparation is debatable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.