It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

With our desire to get gvardiol does that mean that pep has no need for a traditional LB anymore? We seem to play with a 4 CB backline with 1 inverting inside and our wingers providing the width. Or is it simply out of necessity since we don't have the necessary players to play our fullbacks high and wide?
This is the question- he mentioned in a recent press conference the need for more diversity in the squad. I think the only way it’s answered is by what type of player we buy in summer.. another left footed centrehalf who can play fullback and no traditional lb and it’d suggest that system is here to stay

It’s very hard to judge players when you see them going at ful tilt towards goal and the opposition spread…playing for us, they have to be able to concentrate on beating a 14 man defence (15 if you include VAR)…on another note, although the u21’s were beaten by Croatia this evening, Cole Palmer had a great game…on another note, we’ve got some fantastic youngsters who play the same system as the first team…and Phil will be KdB’s replacement…

This is the question- he mentioned in a recent press conference the need for more diversity in the squad. I think the only way it’s answered is by what type of player we buy in summer.. another left footed centrehalf who can play fullback and no traditional lb and it’d suggest that system is here to stay
If we don't get Gvardiol, who else fits the profile? Bastoni from Inter? We are not linked with anyone else, so it's hard to say.

This is basically what he said earlier in the week himself- a shame but we will have to look at other targets, at least we have plenty of time to change tac
Money talks and bullsh1t walks.

The RB owner died earlier in the year, the company is now run by accountants and has a very different vision.

If we put in a serious offer it will be seriously considered and probably accepted.

Last edited:
I know he'll not be playing against Haaland/KDB every week but what I've seen of this guy does not suggest he's anything special and certainly not £100m+ value.
Agreed and for me it seems strange when we have 5 CB’s one of which we’re looking to sell in Laporte if rumours are to believed. Why on earth are we spending a chunk of the budget on a CB? LB and CM are the two prime positions and then a wide forward/winger.

Its interesting to see how little details have changed just in a few weeks, everything ive read makes sense. City will always scout or be interested in multiple players because how well run we are.

With Gvardiol potentially not signing I could see us not signing a Cb and keeping Gomez here one more year. Ake, Stones, Akanji and Dias at Cb, Rodri if needed as well. Sign another Left back Chilwell? Rotate Ake with say Chilwell if needed and Gomez as a squad player that can play multiple positions.

We have seen us in the past adapt plans short term for long term targets. Thats is if Gvardiol is the one which makes sense.

Bellingham is the one big singing so all others work around that. But we desperately need to get someone to take the pressure off Rodri. Whether that means keep Gundo and/or Perrone, Bellingham if he signs plays deeper sometimes or Phillips actually sorts his shit out.

A more realistic squad is something like

Ederson/Ortega/Trafford
(Carson retires and moves to coaching, that's just a assumption based on the comments coming out of Bolton.)

Chilwell/Gomez
Walker/Lewis
Ake/Dias/Stones/Akanji
(Laporte to be sold, we are all expecting this. Cancelo to be sold somehow.)

Rodri/Phillips
Perrone and/or Gundo / Bellingham
KDB/Veiga
Maybe one more? Kovacic?

Mahres/Foden/Grealsih

Haaland/Alvarez.

Can see Alvarez playing more because we need to get him playing, this probably means we don't sign a winger. That will happen when Mahrez leaves. Palmer I'm really unsure what happens with.

If true about Haaland signing a new deal already that's like another signing in itself and will take a lot of time.

Obviously expecting Bernado to leave unfortunately.

Last edited:
Agreed and for me it seems strange when we have 5 CB’s one of which we’re looking to sell in Laporte if rumours are to believed. Why on earth are we spending a chunk of the budget on a CB? LB and CM are the two prime positions and then a wide forward/winger.
If Pep thinks Ake is now more a LB option and Akanji is slightly iffy long term?

Presuming laporte leaves and we are going to play some form of 4 at the back next season, I'm happy if we don't sign another centre half.
Would much prefer a top quality left back and decent right back who can compete with walker next season and compete with rico from the year after.

If Pep thinks Ake is now more a LB option and Akanji is slightly iffy long term?
Ake said in a recent interview he still prefers to be seen as a CB. TBH as good as he is this season I am reluctant to offer him a new long term contract given his age and injury history. Rather just keep the current one and let's see how it goes in next year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.