It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Indeed, and surely it's more difficult to expect your 4th choice to fit that bill?
No idea whatsoever what our order of preference is/was - nobody has. Even you!
But we do our business in a meaningful & measured way. Guess what, it’s worked. Look at the trophy cabinet & our business model

This is something I just do not understand: any new signing coming from another league is unproven. Anyone joining this team is unproven because we play in such a different way to any other team in world football. When you say rely, do you mean consistently using them as starters? One, or en-masse?

Even Phillips? He is a £40m signing, PL proven and an England international. It is definitely this kind of emotive post that makes me feel that there is a rising entitlement here. The man has hardly played - certainly not enough to be so utterly dismissed - but neither has Tommy Doyle, so the assumption that him gaining some minutes would lead to our collapse and complete inability to win ANYTHING is ridiculous, IMO.

Doyle, and McAtee, etc are unproven at any high level. Whilst I agree with your assessment of Phillips, the fact that he did stand out for Leeds and perform quite well for England at least shows he has the ability somewhere to mix it with the likes of Rice, Caceido and Casemiro in our opponents’ midfields, albeit I’d prefer our other first team regulars unless he begins to show us the form that persuaded us to buy him. None of the youngsters give me any confidence whatsoever, including Palmer, not for the level we should be aiming for every season.

I see nothing wrong with entitlement, I believe given the previous investment, set-up and experience in this team, plus Pep’s genius, means we should all be expecting at least one trophy every season. I’m certain our board would think that too. Which makes it all the more galling to see our closest rivals last season, and consistent pains in the arse Chelsea and Liverpool spending big sums on players, any of whom would have been great signings for us.

Yet we’re now very light in numbers and scratching around for transfer plan D or young kids with almost no PL or CL experience like a lower standard Luton/Southampton level club instead of the Treble winners with a bigger income than Chelsea and Arsenal and the world’s greatest manager.

Doyle, and McAtee, etc are unproven at any high level. Whilst I agree with your assessment of Phillips, the fact that he did stand out for Leeds and perform quite well for England at least shows he has the ability somewhere to mix it with the likes of Rice, Caceido and Casemiro in our opponents’ midfields, albeit I’d prefer our other first team regulars unless he begins to show us the form that persuaded us to buy him. None of the youngsters give me any confidence whatsoever, including Palmer, not for the level we should be aiming for every season.

I see nothing wrong with entitlement, I believe given the previous investment, set-up and experience in this team, plus Pep’s genius, means we should all be expecting at least one trophy every season. I’m certain our board would think that too. Which makes it all the more galling to see our closest rivals last season, and consistent pains in the arse Chelsea and Liverpool spending big sums on players, any of whom would have been great signings for us.

Yet we’re now very light in numbers and scratching around for transfer plan D or young kids with almost no PL or CL experience like a lower standard Luton/Southampton level club instead of the Treble winners with a bigger income than Chelsea and Arsenal and the world’s greatest manager.

good post, we are an elite club now and as it stands either the next gen star or elite players only push us forward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.