It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Esteemed Kompany as pissed off as I’ve ever seen him Re Palmer.

play from around 9.00 mins

I agree with him.

I understand him, more than I (only partly) agree with him. And I totally feel for him, I know how much he really believed in Palmer and the expectation he had.

Last summer he went for my throat a bit when I argued Palmer wasn't good enough yet to be expected to make a meaningful contribution to the season, and why I was counting him as a youth player which he was, rather than part of the first team squad. In that 'fair game, honest blue to blue exchange of opinion' way btw which I didn't mind in the slightest. But it was the only time I can remember seeing him get somewhat mildly aggressive over a player or a take, which shows how invested he is in it.

Most of that will be genuinely following and liking the player, but I'd guess a small part will involve wanting to be proven right in some capacity. @twosips only mentioning you out of politeness/respect.

But bigger picture here, ultimately the player wanted out. I kind of changed my stance a fair bit since last summer. I don't doubt his talent, he definitely has potential, and I think with a run of games we would see enough for him to really challenge for a place. I feel the injuries are an easy and exaggerated excuse for why he hasn't featured so much until now, but I certainly felt going forward he had enough for a decent chance now that Mahrez had gone. And I said all summer, against the grain of others desperate for a new winger signing, that I would admire the club if they genuinely gave him a go instead of bringing someone in. But once he made it clear he wanted to leave, and not take a chance here, that was that.

I honestly think the club took so long before properly pursuing Doku, because they were giving Palmer time to come round and want to claim that place. Even giving him starts in two effective finals for silverware. But imo he shat the bed immediately after one of them, by coming out with the whole wanting to leave thing. Minutes after Pep said he would like him to stay but wouldn't stand in his way, Kyle the captain said while standing next to him, that he should just be patient and keep at it, and listen to senior players, and Grealish said he had been through it himself, and he just needed to back himself and be patient. He showed he wasn't patient.

The way I see it, it was only after that the club went after Doku, and for me it was Because Palmer wanted out, rather than the other way round.

I'm a bit disappointed he is leaving, would have been great to see him break through, and I think he could have, even with Doku here. More than that, I'm disappointed he went to Chelsea, for his own sake. But am I disappointed with the fee, and the decision of the club as a reaction to it all? Not in the slightest.

It’s the timing too. Just as he looked something special and would have got decent minutes he wants to go and of course, we let him.

Why wouldn't we let him? We both privately and publicly say that if a player wanting to leave brings the right offer they leave with a blessing. He brought the right offer. Be hypocritical not to sell him. As much as we could have hoped to see the club simply refuse him the luxury, they treated him like any senior player, which is ironically what he wanted all along.

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Nunes is great.

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Paqueta might have been slightly better.

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Rice would have been slightly better on the pitch but a whole lot better for the City media crew

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Bellingham would have been better on the pitch and media but I just wonder if he might have been a bit too big for his boots (I could be wrong)

I'm happy (but most of all with Kovacic who is just a joy to watch).

Just had a gander on Rag Cafe. Some absolutely pearlers on there. I like this one -

Seems like we got mugged off on Mason Mount when we should have gotten this fecker. Not happy.

Quite a few of them turning on Mount from what I've read.
hahahaha1693473356625.png

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Nunes is great.

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Paqueta might have been slightly better.

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Rice would have been slightly better on the pitch but a whole lot better for the City media crew

Kovacic + Gvardiol + Doku + Bellingham would have been better on the pitch and media but I just wonder if he might have been a bit too big for his boots (I could be wrong)

I'm happy (but most of all with Kovacic who is just a joy to watch).

Honestly, if Kovacic improves in the final third then he will be one of our most important players.

Just had a gander on Rag Cafe. Some absolutely pearlers on there. I like this one -

Seems like we got mugged off on Mason Mount when we should have gotten this fecker. Not happy.

Quite a few of them turning on Mount from what I've read.

I spoke to a couple of them last week and they were doing the whole "I like him but I'm not sure he's the right fit for us" thing.

Which is pretty much synonymous with "I don't want to admit to a City fan that our new signing is shit."

That's not an insult.

It's a light-hearted joke about the fact that you posted a reductive comment, to which I replied stating that the reality was more nuanced, to which you replied with a reductive comment.

At worst, you could argue that it was condescending but I'd counter by saying I simply met you at your level.
Fair enough :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.