It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Phillips hasn’t played for 2 years though, got a big contract etc.

If we clear his amortisation, I’m sure we’d be happy.
If you want the glass half-full version, he's made 41 appearances, and played about 1400 minutes of football (for City and England) in the 18 months since he left Leeds, and he was injured for 4 of those months.

He's also been training with Pep for 18 months - a bit like going to Football University ;)

I guess it all depends on how he plays for West Ham and England, and then whether there's money around in the Summer. If you're suggesting £30m, then it wouldn't take much competition to push that up to £40m+

If you want the glass half-full version, he's made 41 appearances, and played about 1400 minutes of football (for City and England) in the 18 months since he left Leeds, and he was injured for 4 of those months.

He's also been training with Pep for 18 months - a bit like going to Football University ;)

I guess it all depends on how he plays for West Ham and England, and then whether there's money around in the Summer. If you're suggesting £30m, then it wouldn't take much competition to push that up to £40m+
Clubs don’t have any money though.

Being trained by Pep won’t be an advantage when playing for Moyes!

Hes not had regular competitive football for 2 seasons.

It’s a gamble for any buyer.

Tend to agree. Were we contemplating paying 40 million for someone who had played so little, there would be consternation among the faithful.

We don't know what the situation will be in the Summer.

Southgate has been full of praise for the improvement in players under Pep, so you never know ;)

18 months.

Who doesn't like a bit of risk.

I think if he does well at West Ham, and gets some England games, then it's not beyond the bounds of possibility to hit £40m. It really depends on what other transfers are going on.

Tend to agree. Were we contemplating paying 40 million for someone who had played so little, there would be consternation among the faithful.
He may have played a lot more by the time we're selling, and I think he's in rather a unique position where a lot of people simply think Pep hasn't given him a chance. If he does well at West Ham, then I think quite a lot of fans of other clubs would like that deal, especially if there are other players going for much more.

I'm not pinning my hopes on us getting a big fee - just think that it's an unusual situation, so you never know.

Don’t forget the English player/HG tax. And an international regular at that
Perhaps and we can but hope. For the reasons I outlined above, however, I just struggle to see us getting much back on him. Afraid I'm already adding him now to my Mendy, Cancelo, Phillips list of buys that went either spectacularly or peculiarly wrong.

He may have played a lot more by the time we're selling, and I think he's in rather a unique position where a lot of people simply think Pep hasn't given him a chance. If he does well at West Ham, then I think quite a lot of fans of other clubs would like that deal, especially if there are other players going for much more.

I'm not pinning my hopes on us getting a big fee - just think that it's an unusual situation, so you never know.
As I posted above, he basically has 16 games to resurrect his domestic career, and that number may be smaller depending on his match sharpness and West Ham's circumstances. I'm actually surprised this deal wasn't finalised before the window opened, as we evidently wanted him out and West Ham have already had four games this month (zero wins) in which they could have used him.

Don’t forget the English player/HG tax. And an international regular at that
Anything north of £30m for him in the summer will see us make a profit from an accounting perspective.

Even if he’s bang average for West Ham, I would still expect him to get into the England squad for the Euros and we should be able to get £30m for him on the back of that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.