It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

If a regular poster on here said what Tolmie said they would be getting pelters from almost everyone
It’s an extreme / exaggerated view aimed at stirring up some engagement on his Twitter account but I’d love us to go back to playing two proper wingers as I think 17/18 was the best football we’ve ever played.

We do need a reboot / refresh as I think we’ve squeezed all we can out of our current group of players and a number of the squad need to be moved on as time isn’t on their side. Personally I think we did exceptionally well to win the league this season and I wouldn’t expect us to win it again with the same group next season.

During the last half hour yesterday our tactics basically descended into just giving it to Doku and hoping he does something - as it did many times through the year - while Alvarez was taking all the set pieces even though the quality of his delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

We need to freshen up our play and I don’t think we’d necessarily have to change that many players in order to do it. Rodri and Foden could definitely play in a midfield three with another top quality addition, perhaps we can cash in on Stones, buy a left back and move Gvardiol to centre half. Savio is reportedly coming in and we’d probably need another winger with Grealish and Bernado possibly going. De Bruyne is presumably going to stay for his final year and he’d be a fantastic option from the bench.

Yesterday was obviously a major disappointment, and generally speaking I don’t think we’ve been anywhere near as good this season as we were at the backend of last. But there’s some fairly wild calls doing the rounds - seems we should be selling Ederson, Walker, Stones, De Bruyne, Bernardo, Grealish, Nunes (plus Gomes, Cancelo and Phillips, of course). And Kovacic, Alvarez and Dias are all fair game as well.
No doubt we need a refresh, but surely nothing as drastic as this? A top quality creative midfielder is a must, beyond that it really depends on how Pep sees us setting up - if he’s going to persist with playing the fullbacks so high, we need at least 1 who poses a proper attacking threat (Frimpong?). Otherwise, I’d be looking for someone who can step into midfield and, ideally, replace Rodri when needed (Kimmich?). Maybe another wide attacker, depending on who we sign as the creative midfielder (and whether Bernardo stays). So 2-3 signings who can come straight in and be starters. No squad fillers.

It’s an extreme / exaggerated view aimed at stirring up some engagement on his Twitter account but I’d love us to go back to playing two proper wingers as I think 17/18 was the best football we’ve ever played.

We do need a reboot / refresh as I think we’ve squeezed all we can out of our current group of players and a number of the squad need to be moved on as time isn’t on their side. Personally I think we did exceptionally well to win the league this season and I wouldn’t expect us to win it again with the same group next season.

During the last half hour yesterday our tactics basically descended into just giving it to Doku and hoping he does something - as it did many times through the year - while Alvarez was taking all the set pieces even though the quality of his delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

We need to freshen up our play and I don’t think we’d necessarily have to change that many players in order to do it. Rodri and Foden could definitely play in a midfield three with another top quality addition, perhaps we can cash in on Stones, buy a left back and move Gvardiol to centre half. Savio is reportedly coming in and we’d probably need another winger with Grealish and Bernado possibly going. De Bruyne is presumably going to stay for his final year and he’d be a fantastic option from the bench.

We play with two out and out wingers we lose the control we have in for it is pep?

I think it interesting and possibly revealing summer ahead. If we make minimal changes say the likes of Phillips, Gomez and Cancelo move on and we add Savio and a midfielder then it’s much more likely Pep is gone next summer.

If it’s a big rebuild and Bernardo, Ederson and a few others leave then I think Pep will stay a bit longer to build a new squad. I think there are a few question marks about key players this summer like those mentioned plus Stones, KDB and Grealish for different reasons.

I can be made to agree with all @tolmie's hairdoo is saying except Dias (and KDB).

That makes me go:
View attachment 120331

Either way Tolmie is right.. a major rebuild is needed and hopefully it is accomplished.

However you look at it a major rebuild is required whether that be this year or next. I suppose a lot will depend on Pep's appetite to take it on, if he is going next summer would expect tinkering this time round with the incoming manager tasked with a full rebuild PSR allowing.

I have said that I don't think we need too much.
Listing the players that have a clear talent to be a part of the 1st team squad for the long-term:

Haaland
Foden
Doku
Grealish
Rodri
Gvardiol
Dias
Akanji
Ake
Ederson

Adding in youth:
Bobb
Lewis
Savio
Echeverri

We are very well set up indeed, especially when you add in the experienced players.
In my view, 3-4 in will do. We need to plan for Walker, Bernardo, Stones, KDB coming to the end/moving on.

It is not so much about the quality, its the motivation and hunger to go again next season. That's why I think Pep will sell a few big names and freshen it all up.

He knows this current team and it's style is pretty much at the end of it's cycle and a new one needs to be implemented, and in doing so that might mean a few shock names out of the door and few new replacements to kick start the next revolution.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.