It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

well those two will go out on loan again....possibly sold....so then we are two down....rumours that rico or bobb out on loan..that would be 3 or4 down.....

Possible sales as well - KDB (he clearly has an offer from Saudi that might be too much to turn down), Bernardo (looks doubtful but I wouldnt be surprised if someone came in last minute with a low ball bid to tempt him to push for a move)
(Im not countiing Ederson as we would obviously have to get a replacement there whether its first or second choice)

Nunes reportedly has an offer from the Saudi league as well - I think he looks pretty good but I think we also do need better...

there is plenty of scope for movement...the squad needs a refresh as its on its last legs in some key departments....Look what is happening to Rodri - huge concerns over his ability to carry on without rest.....
Yes we could sell 20 and buy 20 , we won’t. Most likely 2 or 3 leave , 2 or 3 come in.If the 3 out are Phillips, Cancelo, Gomes probably just 2 in because if the2 play then the minutes of those 3 are easily covered and then some.

I think a useful way to frame this is looking at Pep's time here, and seeing how big his squad has been, but also, how many in the squad did he actually use.

How many played > 500 minutes (most likely useful players), or how many played between 200 and 500 (passengers but played some minutes, likely not just preseason minutes).

16/17 Season
More than 500 mins (core players): 23 players
200 - 500 mins: 2

17/18 Season (Centurians)
More than 500 mins (core players): 21 players
200 - 500 mins: 4

18/19 Season
More than 500 mins (core players): 21 players
200 - 500 mins: 3

19/20 Season
More than 500 mins (core players): 22 players
200 - 500 mins: 1

20/21 Season
200 - 500 mins: 1

21/22 Season
More than 500 mins (core players): 20 players
200 - 500 mins: 2

22/23 Season (Treble)
200 - 500 mins: 0

23/24 Season
More than 500 mins (core players): 20 players
200 - 500 mins: 2 (Gomez and Phillips).

This shows clearly that Pep has relied on less and less players overall as the years progressed (25, 25, 24, 23, 23, 22, 22, 22) but his core players (relies on), has usually been about 21 or 22.

Our 2 bit part players this season (Gomez and Phillips) are likely gone, while Bobb, Lewis and Nunes will get more minutes next season and stay as core players (likely taking some minutes from Kevin, Bernie as they get older). But this would leave us still with 20 + 0 = 20 players.

I don't think any loanees are coming in, so with Savio making it 21, I think we are guaranteed 1 more player on top of Savio, to have 22 core players. There could be some young project player or academy players join, but they are unlikely to get more than 500 mins.

And that's likely it. If anybody leaves, then obviously there will be a 1 in and 1 out happening. It's in line with the last couple of years on the squad size Pep uses. The only time he actually relied on 23 core players was his 1st season, and that's because of squad bloat and before Pep could make the squad his own.

He clearly relies on around 21 - 22 core players, with a couple of bit part players to pad it out. Maybe this means McAtee stays to get like 300 minutes or something, or some random academy players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.