It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Think time will tell. The club did try sign him before he went to wolves, remember. So it wasn't that much of a panic buy, more getting a player in they had linger term interest in. Some called Ruben a panic buy, if you remember. He may yet have a part to play, let's see.

Not sure either were necessarily panic buys but also don't think they fit a 'wait for the right player' narrative. Both were 3rd or 4th choices for their positions - Maguire/Koulibaly/Kounde and Bellingham/Rice/Paqueta - and bought late in transfer windows after other pursuits fell through.

Sometimes we stick to 1 target and don't immediately fill the gap if unsuccessful (Kane/Aguero/False 9); and sometimes we work down a list of scouted targets (Dias & Nunes). Remains to be seen what we plan to do with Guimaraes if we can't get him at our valuation - will we move on to others or make do.

A midfield of Rodri, Bruno G., Foden, Kovacic, Bernardo, Nunez, possibly Grealish and Bobb plus maybe an Olmo would have more than enough quality...JMO
We can do better than Bruno G and after the Release Clause deadline he is another player who is going to be a lot more expensive than he is actually worth.

Last edited:
You could say that for most players. Debruyne, panic buy after isco bale hazard. Ruben, panic buy after koulibaly kounde. Rodri, panic buy after fred jorginho. Haaland, panic buy after darwin nunez and harry kane. Mahrez, panic buy after sanchez. Ultimately, the club bought a player they scouted before, that has value due to his age and potential. Let's see what comes of that.
So its not a panic buy at all is it. He was the fourth option on the list.

The club have been monitoring him for several seasons so he wasn't some unknown player that we took a gamble on.
Well the scouting was piss poor because while he is a good player, he isn’t a Pep playe
We closed an easy deal with a Mendes client

Think Olmo or similar is the sort of profile I see as a KDB replacement, more than names like Wirtz,Musiala. As you say Grealish is an intriguing one if we did try him inside.
I don't think we are interested in Olmo otherwise we would have activated his release clause.

Not sure either were necessarily panic buys but also don't think they fit a 'wait for the right player' narrative. Both were 3rd or 4th choices for their positions - Maguire/Koulibaly/Kounde and Bellingham/Rice/Paqueta - and bought late in transfer windows after other pursuits fell through.

Sometimes we stick to 1 target and don't immediately fill the gap if unsuccessful (Kane/Aguero/False 9); and sometimes we work down a list of scouted targets (Dias & Nunes). Remains to be seen what we plan to do with Guimaraes if we can't get him at our valuation - will we move on to others or make do.

I disagree. The club scouted dias before. He was a target. They waited a year before signing a CB after kompany left. Sure they signed him after looking at koulibaly/kounde, but then also he was unavailable earlier, till Benfica's failure to get through the qualifiers of the CL made it a sudden possibility. So not a panic buy by any stretch, more astute opportunism.

It's fine if we don't end up with Bruno G, it's not fine however if we don't end up with an adequate backup for Rodri which most people seem Bruno G as. They're conflating the 2, if we don't get Bruno G they seem to think we won't get a back up at all.

I think if we don't sign anyone, which I think is unlikely, we wil see other combinations of the midfield we have. But I recon we will sign someone. Probably not Guimares

Well the scouting was piss poor because while he is a good player, he isn’t a Pep playe
We closed an easy deal with a Mendes client
Pep signed off on him, so he is a "Pep" player.

Yeah its a good job we had Mendes because if not we would have had to go to 5th choice, and rumours were that it was Jordan Henderson.

Pep signed off on him, so he is a "Pep" player.

Yeah its a good job we had Mendes because if not we would have had to go to 5th choice, and rumours were that it was Jordan Henderson.
I’ve always said Nunes would be good in a Klopp/Liverpool side
His skillset of transitioning and ball carrying isn’t useful for us when we face low blocks every week

The people that still questioning our scouting network need to stop drinking immediately right fucking now. Seriously just because few transfer duds in last few years some people suddenly proclaiming our scouting network being trash and claiming that bluemoon user have better identifying the players than professionals who responsible for bringing us many titles in the past six years.

This place sometimes FFS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.