It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

Well we better just adapt when Kovacic plays then, we aren't going to sign a specific 6 just to take up a squad space.

I saw pre season yeah, nearly every defender was having a break after their efforts in the Euros, whats that got to do with anything?
Stones, Dias, Akanji, Lewis, Ake, Gvardiol and Walker. 7 defenders. 2 that play at LB, 4 that play at CB and 4 that can play at RB.

How is having a ton of defenders working out for them?
Oh, won fuck all in the past several years I see. We should follow that I guess?
Why arent we? We literally spent £42 million and signed phillips for that very role you are claiming we wont fill, he just didnt work out.

Lewis describes himself as a midfielder, he's a midfielder playing in defence because we don't have defenders. Even pep said he wanted to play Rico in midfield on tour but we had no defenders so couldn't.

Of those 6 defenders in our squad, it's 50/50 whether stones gets out of bed injured on a daily basis, ake has his fair share of injuries too and walker's 34, we are far from stacked in defence. The versatility of the defenders is fantastic but it doesn't make up for the sheer lack of numbers, they can't play 2 positions at once. Even with a fully fit and available squad, we are 2 players away from looking at a makeshift defence. Fact is we got away with it big time last season, wasnt any real length of time where we had more than 2 defenders out at once, gambling on that once more seems insane to me.

2 years ago we brought in Akanji last minute because pep didn't think we had enough defensive cover in the team, (we don't win the treble without him) at that time we had 8 defenders, we now have 6.

I still don´t get why we don´t sign a left back...
Wouldn't say no to one but I think right back has arguably overtaken left back as the priority in defence now, ake and gvardiol are as good as any left back whereas walker is aging and his days are numbered.

Why arent we? We literally spent £42 million and signed phillips for that very role you are claiming we wont fill, he just didnt work out.

Lewis describes himself as a midfielder, he's a midfielder playing in defence because we don't have defenders. Even pep said he wanted to play Rico in midfield on tour but we had no defenders so couldn't.

Of those 6 defenders in our squad, it's 50/50 whether stones gets out of bed injured on a daily basis, ake has his fair share of injuries too and walker's 34, we are far from stacked in defence. The versatility of the defenders is fantastic but it doesn't make up for the sheer lack of numbers, they can't play 2 positions at once. Even with a fully fit and available squad, we are 2 players away from looking at a makeshift defence. Fact is we got away with it big time last season, wasnt any real length of time where we had more than 2 defenders out at once, gambling on that once more seems insane to me.

2 years ago we brought in Akanji last minute because pep didn't think we had enough defensive cover in the team, (we don't win the treble without him) at that time we had 8 defenders, we now have 6.
It didn't work out and now we are fucked because Kalvin isn't useful for anything else other then emergency CB and hes still here! We aren't putting him in the stands so we can get someone else in.

Lewis can say what he likes, he isn't getting gametime in midfield any time soon is he, way too much competition in there.

Again, we can't just stockpile world class defenders just in case something happens. Clubs do it and they end up fucked with millions burnt on players that add nothing to their team.

If Walker and Stones leave next summer then we replace them, as it stands, no space.

It didn't work out and now we are fucked because Kalvin isn't useful for anything else other then emergency CB and hes still here! We aren't putting him in the stands so we can get someone else in.

Lewis can say what he likes, he isn't getting gametime in midfield any time soon is he, way too much competition in there.

Again, we can't just stockpile world class defenders just in case something happens. Clubs do it and they end up fucked with millions burnt on players that add nothing to their team.

If Walker and Stones leave next summer then we replace them, as it stands, no space.
Him not being upto standard has no bearing on the need for it, we bought him because we needed that role covered. We ultimately bought poorly and Pep has publicly rules him out as even an option now but that doesnt change the need for the role to be covered.

It's not stockpiling when you only have 6 options to fill 4 positions, we are well below whats widely considered a normal number of defensive options to have within the squad and below what pep himself considered not enough 2 years ago. I really don't see how anybody can possibly argue 6 defenders is enough, that is not a controversial thing to say.

i never said they need to be world class did I? I'm not saying we go spend £90 million on a defender, Again. Akanji was bought for £17 million after nobody wanted him all summer and wasn't considered even close to world class when we signed him.

There is space.

Him not being upto standard has no bearing on the need for it, we bought him because we needed that role covered. We ultimately bought poorly and Pep has publicly rules him out as even an option now but that doesnt change the need for the role to be covered.

It's not stockpiling when you only have 6 options to fill 4 positions, we are well below whats widely considered a normal number of defensive options to have within the squad and below what pep himself considered not enough 2 years ago. I really don't see how anybody can possibly argue 6 defenders is enough, that is not a controversial thing to say.

i never said they need to be world class did I? I'm not saying we go spend £90 million on a defender, Again. Akanji was bought for £17 million after nobody wanted him all summer and wasn't considered even close to world class when we signed him.

There is space.
Well the club are scarred now because of it. We have an ageing player on big wages that no one wants. There is no backup for Rodri. Pep needs to make something else work should the worst happen but if Rodri is fit he will play so it's pretty irrelevant.

It's not 6 is it. It's 7 defenders. 7 quality defenders, of higher quality than anyone else in the world.
It's relevant what Lewis has said, He literally played RB today and is listed as a defender on the website. Stop saying it's 6. We have At least two options for every spot in the backline. All quality in their own right. No need to add anyone else.

There isn't space. The bench is full and we will have players sat at home next weekend because there's no room.

The question everyone needs to be asking is:

What are we getting from Bobb, savio, mcatee, Rico?

Anyone you are bringing in is going to cut into the minutes these guys play.

I'm not normally an advocate for holding steady but in my eyes a few of these guys have earned regular minutes, increases from their contribution last year.

We shouldn't splash cash just to do it.

My shortlist of desired moves for this summer is very short to almost non existent

The question everyone needs to be asking is:

What are we getting from Bobb, savio, mcatee, Rico?

Anyone you are bringing in is going to cut into the minutes these guys play.

I'm not normally an advocate for holding steady but in my eyes a few of these guys have earned regular minutes, increases from their contribution last year.

We shouldn't splash cash just to do it.

My shortlist of desired moves for this summer is very short to almost non existent

The last sentence nails it for this summer.

I don't mind if bobb mcatee lewis get sidelined and have to wait for their minutes, if we can get better players in that can make an impact and win things. That's what we are there for.

But I can't think of any that can, that are available or affordable. So till then, the boys it is.

I honestly think the club feel as long as Pep is here this squad will compete for the titles also the lack of quality in the rival teams isn’t worrying us. I think we’re gonna see a big rebuild next summer. Walker,KDB,Bernardo,Stones? I could see quite a few players leaving next year

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.