It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sergio has inexplicably missed some key chances as has de Bruyne. In fact I think de Bruyne's miss against Chelsea was season defining for both ourselves and Chelsea.

I agree and have heard others in the Etihad say the same. We had that game under control until that miss, easily the most horrendous miss by any club (Dippers included) this season. From there they got the tailwind and we got nervy infront of goal. They went top, we slid down.

We create chance after chance, despite our supposed defensive shortcomings.

Our forwards have let us down at crucial periods.

Yep, that's about the size of it. The media continues to focus on defensive mishaps, but I can't pinpoint a game in months that we wouldn't have run away with if we'd even have taken half our clear cut chances.

Pep continues to harp on about our performance in both boxes, but is, at heart, a manager who runs the show from the front first. Guardiola teams will outscore you, this is a key principle. We haven't done that this season, but not for lack of trying.

Kun isn't solely to blame for this, but he's still markedly under-par. 11% conversion rate in the league is his lowest on record and, given our lack of consistent goals elsewhere on the park, stands out like a sore thumb for a player who can only really play as a striker.

I think Aguero is much more aligned with what Madrid's MO is, in terms of his present profile, established record and look.

It would not surprise me if City and Madrid have an "understanding" on Sergio and Mbappe.

Yep, that sounds more in line with what Madrid would do.

Break from their MO/transfer policy and sign a youngster like Mbappe or go all in for one of the best, established strikers on the planet in Aguero? The latter makes sense for them and, meanwhile, they'll wait for Mbappe to hit 25-26 as a potential Ballon d'Or and hope to snatch him from City with their star power and a shitton of money.

Last edited:
Its great that we showing interest in some of the top forwards in the world but......with a squad that already has Kev, Aguero, Sane, Silva, Sterling, Jesus......all this starting 11 is really missing is a new set of fullbacks that can support the attackers without leaving us open at the back and a complete CM player that can defend and take control of the middle of the field.....looking at spending over 100mil to upgrade our striker options seems a bit of an overkill, when all our weakness sits at the back?

If we get the right balance in the back 4 and in midfield, we'd automatically get more goals from our forwards imho!;)

The drop off if in talent if either Sterling or Sane is injured to Nolito and Navaz is huge. We don't have anyone coming off the bench fresh that makes the opposition defenders think 'fuck me Ive got to face this guy now'. I've got a feeling Sanchez will come in and Aguero will go they are both too good to sit on the bench at this stage of their careers but Sanchez can play right across the front where Aguero can't so we can rotate our 4 top forward players barring injury.

Going to be a very interesting summer and hopefully we bring in players at the back that will improve us like Sane and Jesus have done upfront.

The fees being branded around for an 18 year old in his first season just seem absurd to me. Granted he's having an incredible season and looks a genuine talent but that's the kind of fee paid for world-class players who've done it consistently at the highest level. I tend to be in the camp that wants to wait another season to see if he can match or even better the current one he's having, his price may increase but then the record fee being branded around now will look justified.

I keep hearing this once in a generation talent and I just don'e see it yet. Martial had an incredible season last year for a United team that looked absolutely toothless upfront and was basically carrying their attack by himself and look how this season is turning out now that defenders and managers have studied his game and have an understanding of what he tends to favour doing most in his play to counter it. Likewise Mario Gotze had an even better season than this kid is having in his last one for Dortmund which he fired them into the champions league final that they lost in part because of his suspension. This was a then 20 year old who had three incredible seasons where he played a key part in his team winning back-to-back league titles and a cup as well as reaching a champions league final yet no absurd world record fees were being branded around when he moved to Bayern for just £31.5m (though a german player record at the time). His time at bayern was blighted by injuries and a change of system that didn't seem to fit him but that's the risk with young players and he looked more like a once in a generation player than Mbappe.

I don't want to seem like I'm underselling this kid as like I said earlier he does look a genuine talent who potentially could go on to be the Henry replacement that's been branded around for countless other youngsters but he still has a long way to go before those kind of comparisons can even be made and as it pertains to City, I particularly don't see the point of paying a world record fee for an 18 year old when you have a player like Gabriel around the same age who I actually find to be the more talented and well-rounded player and one that also fits exactly what pep wants and expects in his system. It's just a massive risk not worth taking in my eyes and the only way I could see the transfer making sense is if Aguero was to be sold and the fee from that was used to buy him as his replacement.

There is a billion quid coming to the market this summer from just four Premier League clubs.

It's not short of £80m, let's put it that way, in what we are prepared to pay (add-ons and all that)

I'm confident we are have a very good chance.

I think we all expect City, rags and Chelsea to spend really big. The fourth club is Arsenal?

The fees being branded around for an 18 year old in his first season just seem absurd to me. Granted he's having an incredible season and looks a genuine talent but that's the kind of fee paid for world-class players who've done it consistently at the highest level. I tend to be in the camp that wants to wait another season to see if he can match or even better the current one he's having, his price may increase but then the record fee being branded around now will look justified.

I keep hearing this once in a generation talent and I just don'e see it yet. Martial had an incredible season last year for a United team that looked absolutely toothless upfront and was basically carrying their attack by himself and look how this season is turning out now that defenders and managers have studied his game and have an understanding of what he tends to favour doing most in his play to counter it. Likewise Mario Gotze had an even better season than this kid is having in his last one for Dortmund which he fired them into the champions league final that they lost in part because of his suspension. This was a then 20 year old who had three incredible seasons where he played a key part in his team winning back-to-back league titles and a cup as well as reaching a champions league final yet no absurd world record fees were being branded around when he moved to Bayern for just £31.5m (though a german player record at the time). His time at bayern was blighted by injuries and a change of system that didn't seem to fit him but that's the risk with young players and he looked more like a once in a generation player than Mbappe.

I don't want to seem like I'm underselling this kid as like I said earlier he does look a genuine talent who potentially could go on to be the Henry replacement that's been branded around for countless other youngsters but he still has a long way to go before those kind of comparisons can even be made and as it pertains to City, I particularly don't see the point of paying a world record fee for an 18 year old when you have a player like Gabriel around the same age who I actually find to be the more talented and well-rounded player and one that also fits exactly what pep wants and expects in his system. It's just a massive risk not worth taking in my eyes and the only way I could see the transfer making sense is if Aguero was to be sold and the fee from that was used to buy him as his replacement.

Not sure if your issue is the fees or even just making a marquee signing out of Mbappe in the first place.

If the former, well, City have money, I'm not sure that's such a concern and would be unlikely to handcuff our other expenditures.

If the latter, wouldn't that extend to Gabriel Jesus or Leroy Sane too? Both came, both less tested and proven than Mbappe, both have exceeded most of our wildest expectations in their inaugural season. Could be the Pep factor, or not, but if the club are willing to sink a world record fee into this kid then it's not just because he has promise and nothing more.

I think we all expect City, rags and Chelsea to spend really big. The fourth club is Arsenal?

When have Arsenal ever spent big? They can, but they just don't.

Dippers maybe?

We create chance after chance, despite our supposed defensive shortcomings.

Our forwards have let us down at crucial periods.

They have, but we've good reasons to believe that will improve next season without too much change in personnel. Lets say we get a full season out of Jesus, Sane continues to improve at the rate that he has in the last few months, Sterling also continues to improve, Gundogan returns fully fit and makes those late runs into the box. That could easily be worth another 25 PL goals next season without, making a single attacking signing. If we were to add Sanchez then I think that we've every reason to be optimistic to about the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.