It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't necessarily a realistic 11, but if we could create this team I would be a very happy man. It's also too attacking, but who really cares...

Ederson
Fabinho Stones Otamendi Rose
De Bruyne Veratti
Dele Alli
Sterling Jesus Sane

Subs: Gunn, Michael Keane, Zaba, Fernandinho, Silva, Aguero, Iheanacho
I'd have Isco over Alli any day of the week.
Verratti might command a world record fee.

I like Keane, him and Stones would be a very strong, long term partnership for both us and England NT.
Also, unfortunately it looks like that Zaba is playing his last season with us, so I'd replace him with Benjamin Henrichs from Leverkusen.
I'd also send Nacho out on loan to get game time and bring Coman in, though it might be an overkill.

I'm not normally a stats guy as I like to use my eyes to decide on players. The stats though do help in painting a picture. The picture below isn't of someone who only has their nationality going for them. Strikes me that Rose, statistically, is EXACTLY a Pep full back, even with the lower pass completion % than some of his competitors.

Is anyone here suggesting we try and sign Marcelo, Alaba or Alba?

Further, without getting into the specifics of the statistics you've decided to focus on, would you not agree that passing accuracy is possibly the most important of the lot for a Pep side? In a game designed around possession, misplaced passes are the death knell and would completely throw the team's rhythm. For example, no player in the City starting XI sports a pass accuracy that low, not even Sergio Aguero, despite the fact defenders can sit back and pass between each other and the keeper all day. Further, our current left back Gael Clichy has a much higher pass accuracy of 84%.

Take a player who we could acquire, potentially at much less cost, such as Juan Bernat. Scratch the surface and you see he has consistently managed 90% pass accuracy every year of his career, in all competitions. Danny Rose has yet to break 80%. It's not that that isn't good enough, it's that we can do better.

Said this on another thread some time ago, but Keane could be an option. Won't cost too much, he's got plenty of years left. English. He's had a good year at burnley

I'd have Isco over Alli any day of the week.
Verratti might command a world record fee.

I like Keane, him and Stones would be a very strong, long term partnership for both us and England NT.
Also, unfortunately it looks like that Zaba is playing his last season with us, so I'd replace him with Benjamin Henrichs from Leverkusen.
I'd also send Nacho out on loan to get game time and bring Coman in, though it might be an overkill.

In the Premier League you need battlers who can fight every week, home and away. Alli is proven and only 20 years old, while he's also scored 24 goals in 60 games - which would suggest he'll go on to become a PL great.

Verratti would be worth it. He's an unbelievable play.

The rest I can see and are being heavily linked, with age profiles that seem to match what Pep wants.

No denying rose is a quality player but £50m??? I know we have to have a homegrown quota but we'd be as well keeping Delph etc from homegrown purposes as we own them already. Bernat is still my favourite choice for LB but wouldn't be upset if we got mendy or grimaldo. I personally think the remit for this season is to try and buy the next generation of superstars that are playing too end football now that pep can make into the best team in Europe over the next few seasons

Is anyone here suggesting we try and sign Marcelo, Alaba or Alba?

What's your point? I've compared Rose with three of the world's best full backs to show the stupidity in trying to argue that he isn't a Pep full back.

Further, without getting into the specifics of the statistics you've decided to focus on, would you not agree that passing accuracy is possibly the most important of the lot for a Pep side? In a game designed around possession, misplaced passes are the death knell and would completely throw the team's rhythm. For example, no player in the City starting XI sports a pass accuracy that low, not even Sergio Aguero, despite the fact defenders can sit back and pass between each other and the keeper all day. Further, our current left back Gael Clichy has a much higher pass accuracy of 84%.

For a full back I'll bet you whatever you want that Pep and his team puts as much importance on their ability to win duels, to successfully complete take ons, and their ability to play key passes, rather than just focussing on their overall pass accuracy.

Take a player who we could acquire, potentially at much less cost, such as Juan Bernat. Scratch the surface and you see he has consistently managed 90% pass accuracy every year of his career, in all competitions. Danny Rose has yet to break 80%. It's not that that isn't good enough, it's that we can do better.

Bernat isn't fit to lace Rose's boots. He'd get swallowed up in the PL faster than you can say Alberto Moreno. So thanks but no thanks.

Said this on another thread some time ago, but Keane could be an option. Won't cost too much, he's got plenty of years left. English. He's had a good year at burnley
Antonio Rudiger from AS Roma would be my choice, but if we went for an English centre-back, Keane would be a good choice although he is a bit similar to Stones. Ideally would like a bit of power alongside the quality of Stones. There's always players like Lukaku, Carroll etc in the Premier league.

It's amazing that you began by saying that Rose is nothing more than a competent L/B but that there's loads more value in Europe - but in effect the best you've come up with is paying in excess of 30 million pounds for an injury prone guy from the Portugese league with one decent season under his belt, or a guy who's been in one of the worst defensive set ups in all of La Liga.

Rose shits all over Gaya and Grimaldo, not because he is "competent" but because he's arguably the best L/B in Europe.
Grimaldo would have the advantage of knowing Pep's systems having grown up at the Barca academy, he's also young enough to improve

Anyway, like I said my preference would be Fabinho and Heirichs , which you tagged as fantasy foorball for some reason but prising Rose from Levy would be perfectly sensible...

Antonio Rudiger from AS Roma would be my choice, but if we went for an English centre-back, Keane would be a good choice although he is a bit similar to Stones. Ideally would like a bit of power alongside the quality of Stones. There's always players like Lukaku, Carroll etc in the Premier league.

Have to admit rudiger looked good against England, great and the ball, seemed quick and looked powerful as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.