It's Quiet - a new dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said we should buy Danny Rose years ago and that didn't go down well. And now he's flavour of the month. I'd be surprised if Spurs sell an of their top players regardless of the fee. It will be interesting to see who we bring in. This time last season I wasn't aware of Jesus or Sane so it's probably quite likely that any signings will be left field and ones that we and the media have no idea about at present

No denying rose is a quality player but £50m??? I know we have to have a homegrown quota but we'd be as well keeping Delph etc from homegrown purposes as we own them already. Bernat is still my favourite choice for LB but wouldn't be upset if we got mendy or grimaldo. I personally think the remit for this season is to try and buy the next generation of superstars that are playing too end football now that pep can make into the best team in Europe over the next few seasons

I'd rather have Rose than Delph as one of our association trained players, provided it doesn't mean waiting until 31st Aug to sign him.

Its difficult to express a definitive opinion on one possible signing without knowing who the other signings are going to be and which of our current foreign players will leave. In particular who will fill that 17th foreign player slot? If we're going to struggle to make all of our planned signings fit within the 17 man limit then buying Rose rather than a foreign left back might just be the pragmatic thing to do.

Grimaldo would have the advantage of knowing Pep's systems having grown up at the Barca academy, he's also young enough to improve

Anyway, like I said my preference would be Fabinho and Heirichs , which you tagged as fantasy foorball for some reason but prising Rose from Levy would be perfectly sensible...

Fantasy football because neither is a left back, and one of them has established himself this season as a centre midfield player. I appreciate that Pep likes to have multifunctional players but he has also shown a rare tendency to use wrong footed players in the back four. Rules out either of them playing at left back which is the position we're actually talking about!

What's your point? I've compared Rose with three of the world's best full backs to show the stupidity in trying to argue that he isn't a Pep full back.

And you've compared him favorably using statistics like interceptions, tackles etc, which shows you don't really know what a Pep full back actually is.

For a full back I'll bet you whatever you want that Pep and his team puts as much importance on their ability to win duels, to successfully complete take ons, and their ability to play key passes, rather than just focussing on their overall pass accuracy.

This seems anecdotal.

In fact, Pep has never played a left back with as low pass completion percentage as Rose in his managerial career. I'm digging through the stats, but, currently I see no evidence he's ever played a defender of any sort with as low pass competition percentage as Rose. Certainly in his time with Bayern, only Thomas Muller averaged (just) lower and maintained a place in the first team.

Why? Defenders are important to Pep, perhaps more so than any other position, and he likes them to be glorified midfielders.

Bernat isn't fit to lace Rose's boots. He'd get swallowed up in the PL faster than you can say Alberto Moreno. So thanks but no thanks.

Where's your evidence for this statement? It's certainly not from his performances against EPL clubs in the Champions League?

Or are you reverting to the old "couldn't win on a cold/wet night at Stoke" non-argument that has been debunked multiple times since Pep arrived?

Last edited:
And you've compared him favorably using statistics like interceptions, tackles etc, which shows you don't really know what a Pep full back actually is.

What stats OTHER THAN pass completion % would you use to compare full backs for a Pep team?

Fantasy football because neither is a left back, and one of them has established himself this season as a centre midfield player. I appreciate that Pep likes to have multifunctional players but he has also shown a rare tendency to use wrong footed players in the back four. Rules out either of them playing at left back which is the position we're actually talking about!
I'll be listening to your fantasy football podcast with baited breath when it comes out (this week?) hopefully someone suggests signing Fabinho and Heinrichs....

I'll be listening to your fantasy football podcast with baited breath when it comes out (this week?) hopefully someone suggests signing Fabinho and Heinrichs....

I suspect everyone on our panel is across the idea that the starting point for a Pep left back will be being left footed. ;)

Part Two of the transfer pods will be out mid April btw.

What stats OTHER THAN pass completion % would you use to compare full backs for a Pep team?

Not all statistics are equal. I agree that we need a solid defender who is reliable at left back, but we seem to be at odds about what Pep values most. You seem to believe he would sacrifice pass accuracy in favor of more traditional defensive metrics, while I happen to feel that if the latter are of a certain standard then pass accuracy will be the main draw.

I don't disagree with you about Rose, but about City. Our system is built on passing, movement and most of all possession. To this end, Rose is not the perfect fit in the position and, given he would carry an exorbitant price tag, doesn't seem to be a smart target unless we really need more English players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.