It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love t fact that we will walk away from deals if it doesn’t suit us. RS & RH are prime examples. If t player truly wants to play for us there is a price we’ Pay and no higher, great privilege great position to be in. If it don’t come off al la Jorghio so be it

It’s been quiet this summer - are we confident in our squad and have deliberately throttled back in the transfer market? We don’t seem to have landed a number of youth targets this summer - so there’s generally been less recruitment all round compared to previous years. This may be a deliberate policy given we have an awful lot of players on our books - we seem to have an army out there on loan. We did seem to have a very limited targets going into this summer - probably only 2 and we got one of them. It’s very unlike us to have only 2 targets? Is that because there are limited options to improve us - partially true? Is it because the markets gone crazy - well that might be true but we sure as hell will need to compete in this market in the future so we’ll need to get used to it because transfer fees won’t be falling any time soon. I do wonder if things have changed at the top of the club. We are successful, have a great squad and in theory we are self sufficient. It maybe coincidence but we have started to be more prudent in the market at the same time we start borrowing to cover cash flow - maybe our owners have decided enough is enough and the club is now 100 per cent on its own. It could be that our next phase of inftrastucture investment - a new roof has got to be funded from club resources? I may be wide of the mark but I do think there’s some subtle shifts that suggest things may be different in the coming years and our Exec team have got to sharpen up their act and stand on their own 2 feet - longer term this is a good thing and will give us a much more sustainable future. Of course equally I could be wide of the mark and other factors could be in play that we don’t know about within the upper echelons of the club. I guess we’ll know more next summer if we repeat this more prudent approach or if we are more ambitious when we have to look to replace a number of core elements of the squad.
Excellent points and, as @TRUE BLUE NO1 said, it is likely a little bit of all and then more beyond.

I do think a major part of our more subdued transfer window is the fact that Foden, Diaz, Luiz, Gomes, and—dare I say it—Eric Garcia look like they could legitimately cover positions in less contentious matches when needed (and, in the case of Phil, maybe even contentious ones). This makes it much less critical to bring in reinforcements now and also helps to lessen that need in the future, as we are blooding in the youth now so they are old heads (like Sterling, Sane, and Stones) whilst still quite young later.

In a friendly match.

The two games in the champions league were not friendlies and we wiped the floor with a Napoli team that were a lot more drilled to playing how Sarri wants to play the game than Chelsea are. I remember a lot of people on here saying Napoli would give us problems but they were all hot air.

The two games in the champions league were not friendlies and we wiped the floor with a Napoli team that were a lot more drilled to playing how Sarri wants to play the game than Chelsea are. I remember a lot of people on here saying Napoli would give us problems but they were all hot air.

Let’s not get deluded, the second game at their place was a very close game and I would say they were the best team we faced last season (including Liverpool, as there were no dodgy refereeing decisions to swing the game). Also after the first 30mins in the first game they showed they were a great team.

We've finished business in this window - save perhaps for sale of a fringe player or loan of an upcoming prospect.

Under Pep, we've been ruthless in or negotiations - we lock onto players we want very early in windows and agree terms - if the deal falls apart, we move move on. We're not held ransom and if a deal falls through - especially if the player seems only interested in getting more money - that's it.

Moreover, under Pep - it seems to me that we hire players who are willing to adapt and learn and who are good teammates. Our dressing room - yes we're winning so that may be a big part of it - is unified and there doesn't seem to be any player clique opposing the manager.

Let’s not get deluded, the second game at their place was a very close game and I would say they were the best team we faced last season (including Liverpool, as there were no dodgy refereeing decisions to swing the game). Also after the first 30mins in the first game they showed they were a great team.

They gave us a game for 20 minutes then it was all one way traffic, I remember watching that game and not wanting it to end as I thought we would end up with a cricket score. More clinical finishing it would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.