It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been quiet this summer - are we confident in our squad and have deliberately throttled back in the transfer market? We don’t seem to have landed a number of youth targets this summer - so there’s generally been less recruitment all round compared to previous years. This may be a deliberate policy given we have an awful lot of players on our books - we seem to have an army out there on loan. We did seem to have a very limited targets going into this summer - probably only 2 and we got one of them. It’s very unlike us to have only 2 targets? Is that because there are limited options to improve us - partially true? Is it because the markets gone crazy - well that might be true but we sure as hell will need to compete in this market in the future so we’ll need to get used to it because transfer fees won’t be falling any time soon. I do wonder if things have changed at the top of the club. We are successful, have a great squad and in theory we are self sufficient. It maybe coincidence but we have started to be more prudent in the market at the same time we start borrowing to cover cash flow - maybe our owners have decided enough is enough and the club is now 100 per cent on its own. It could be that our next phase of inftrastucture investment - a new roof has got to be funded from club resources? I may be wide of the mark but I do think there’s some subtle shifts that suggest things may be different in the coming years and our Exec team have got to sharpen up their act and stand on their own 2 feet - longer term this is a good thing and will give us a much more sustainable future. Of course equally I could be wide of the mark and other factors could be in play that we don’t know about within the upper echelons of the club. I guess we’ll know more next summer if we repeat this more prudent approach or if we are more ambitious when we have to look to replace a number of core elements of the squad.

It’s been quiet this summer - are we confident in our squad and have deliberately throttled back in the transfer market? We don’t seem to have landed a number of youth targets this summer - so there’s generally been less recruitment all round compared to previous years. This may be a deliberate policy given we have an awful lot of players on our books - we seem to have an army out there on loan. We did seem to have a very limited targets going into this summer - probably only 2 and we got one of them. It’s very unlike us to have only 2 targets? Is that because there are limited options to improve us - partially true? Is it because the markets gone crazy - well that might be true but we sure as hell will need to compete in this market in the future so we’ll need to get used to it because transfer fees won’t be falling any time soon. I do wonder if things have changed at the top of the club. We are successful, have a great squad and in theory we are self sufficient. It maybe coincidence but we have started to be more prudent in the market at the same time we start borrowing to cover cash flow - maybe our owners have decided enough is enough and the club is now 100 per cent on its own. It could be that our next phase of inftrastucture investment - a new roof has got to be funded from club resources? I may be wide of the mark but I do think there’s some subtle shifts that suggest things may be different in the coming years and our Exec team have got to sharpen up their act and stand on their own 2 feet - longer term this is a good thing and will give us a much more sustainable future. Of course equally I could be wide of the mark and other factors could be in play that we don’t know about within the upper echelons of the club. I guess we’ll know more next summer if we repeat this more prudent approach or if we are more ambitious when we have to look to replace a number of core elements of the squad.

You make some excellent points mate....short answer, I think it could be a little of everything you mentioned!;)

I think our big spend last summer also could have had an impact on our flexibility to sign players....it would seem we had a budget this summer and were not willing to go over it...Whether this new approach will allow clubs to close the gap is yet to be seen.

I think we've got the strongest squad by a country mile, great team spirit and some cracking young players coming thru. Added all together I think it's pretty clear why we've been quiet.

I also think we're saving up for when we have to replace Aguero in a year or two.

I thought we had signed a number of youth targets recently for long term planning?
Our squad is strong in virtually every department and there are very few players who would significantly improve it, yes we need cover for Fernandino but having missed out on our target for that Pep seems confident that the current squad will cover.
But if Mbappe became available then things might be different.
I don't think in theory we are self-sufficient, we are self-sufficient especially with the new kit deal for next season onwards.
I would expect that the owners will cover infrastructure expenditure, especially as its outside of FFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.