It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t this just underestimating what a huge moron Bartomeu is?

He and the board repeatedly said they won’t negotiate for Messis departure with any club, and it seems that hasn’t changed. In yesterdays video, Barca got what they wanted (and they’ve known this entire time he wants out but still don’t care).

I would love for you to be right but hoping this chaotic club would come to their senses feels a bit too much to ask given what we’ve seen from the club over the weeks. I know the video yesterday probably was part of a plan B, I just struggle to see how it would have any effect to the people in charge.

Plus, another public twist in this tale would be taking things way too far, both for Messi and Barcelona. Now things are quiet and I expect them to stay that way.
For the first time in this saga I can now see some win-win outcomes. Before it was all screw over Messi by making him look money-grabbing or screw over Barca by him leaving on a free. Both sides want to resolve this, and neither side wants to be the villain.

But now, thanks to Messi's statement, there is the door open to him leaving for a fee. If agreeable, Messi gets the move he wants and has proven how much he cares for Barca by not taking them to court. Barca get to show they have fought for him, but secured a sizeable fee, freed up the wage bill, but also complied with the wishes of their greatest ever player, and both sides secure their respective legacies.

A decent offer from City would now offer an attractive resolution to both sides.

Agreed. If Messi likes Laporte I think it’s game over. Hoping Bartomeu stays actually :)
No not a chance, Messi wants to win things and Barca are years behind most of the other top teams with team acquisitions and depth of squad. And if there is one thing certain, they can’t mass buy their way out of it, FFP and debt. Messi is on his way within the next 12 months, he wants to finish his career on a high at the very least attempting to win trophies.

I'm not seeing what value empathy and PR has in the transfer process. Bartomeu does not mind being cast as the villain. He won but as SSN said, it could be regarded as a pyrrhic victory because he's won an unhappy player who will likely move on a free now. The Barca board might look at that and think actually I prefer to keep the £100m in wages and I'll take a £100m fee too. This Barca side needs surgery.

I agree, I think he'll be gone before the window closes .
Whether that is to us I don't know, I think Barca will take the money though.

why not - its their last chance to get any money for him whatsoever
Because they don't need to sell Messi. The fee isn't what's going to save them financially, it's getting his €100m a year off the wage bill. Also, as we’ve seen over the last weeks clearly the board sees selling him as very damaging to their own reputations. Even if they really need to raise funds, the squad still has plenty of value in it, they’d be much more likely to just sell another young player, like they just did with Arthur, than Messi imo.

No not a chance, Messi wants to win things and Barca are years behind most of the other top teams with team acquisitions and depth of squad. And if there is one thing certain, they can’t mass buy their way out of it, FFP and debt. Messi is on his way within the next 12 months, he wants to finish his career on a high at the very least attempting to win trophies.

I thought it was interesting that he listed their last three European failings in the interview. His resentments have clearly been building for a long time! Like you say, he wants to at least be challenging and he clearly doesn't feel that's going to happen at Barca.

Big risk if hes not signed a new deal by Jan, to wait to see if a board change keeps him at the club. Gambling on a 100 mill assett going for nothing.

He won't be 100m in January. will be worth the gamble then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.