It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed at the ability of some posters to slag off most things we do, despite our success: the defence is shite; Txixi is shite; we sell everybody for no money; we get ripped off every time we buy; we try and penny pinch and then pay the full amount; Rodri is slow; Gundo ambles; Jesus will never be Sergio; save Bernardo etc. We are the most successful team in the last decade but apparently have innumerable problems.

We did have the best cb in the world, & the best def mid in the world for most of it.

We managed to do a lot of it, without a left back though.

Because we have been very very good, at the stuff we are good at.

Last edited:
I am amazed at the ability of some posters to slag off most things we do, despite our success: the defence is shite; Txixi is shite; we sell everybody for no money; we get ripped off every time we buy; we try and penny pinch and then pay the full amount; Rodri is slow; Gundo ambles; Jesus will never be Sergio; save Bernardo etc. We are the most successful team in the last decade but apparently have innumerable problems.
It'll be a miracle if we hit 40 points this season.

most of our goals conceded are from wayward passes, we push our fullbacks up high and wide , the ball comes into our dm, if the dm loses possession or gives a bad ball then the oppo break, leaving the CB exposed ,imo we shoot ourselves in the foot 99% of the time rather than great play from the oppo, a brilliant passing DM is what we need to cut out 50% of the goals we concede , and a 20% improvement in our finishing.

Where are you going here? That the defence isn't good enough at defending at times? I agree. It's naive to say that it's good enough as is. Too many goals were because of bad defending.

But there are plenty of times that it is good enough. We weren't anywhere near as good at retaining possession or pressing last season and yet we got a lot of clean sheets. They must have done something right some of the time.

It's not a great defence as it stands, but I refute the idea that it's an awful one.
Imo our defence is based around pressing, possession & nothing else.

If the rags sign Reguilon, it's arguable that their defence & defensive midfield is better defensively than ours that finished the season, man for man.

If the rags sign Reguilon, it's arguable that their defence & defensive midfield is better defensively than ours that finished the season, man for man.
I'll take ederson over de gea, walker over wan bissaka, laporte over maguire, any of our defenders over lindelof and rodri over matic.

It is, but that isn't a bad thing if it's done well, as Bayern showed and we have before. I think we'll find it easier this season if we use the right midfield alongside the defensive additions. Not fitting silva in make us a better pressing team, great player that he was, than we were last season, as does Torres, or Jesus playing too.

And it's been a good way of defence for us.

Anyway, is it that everytime the ball gets past the press we're just hoping and praying that we don't concede? There's still defending to be done. We still had plenty of defending to do in 18/19 but there were plenty of times we dealt with it excellently.

Again I'm not pretending our defence is mightily good at defending. They're not even coached to be. But you are massively doing them a disservice. Stick United or even Liverpool's back 4 in our team and ask them to play the same way and I don't think they'd look anywhere near as good. Maybe still better than ours, and that's something to be looked at, but it'd be nowhere near as big a gulf as it may currently look. I think a big CB signing transforms our defence back to the levels of 17-19, just as it only took Ederson and Walker to take us out of our 16/17 rut.

I'll take ederson over de gea, walker over wan bissaka, laporte over maguire, any of our defenders over lindelof and rodri over matic.

Not the keeper.

Walker is a better footballer than Wan Bissaka but not better defensively, Garcia would not get a game as a defender in any other PL team, Laporte would be better than Maguire but is curently all over the place & we don't have a defender of any kind at left back.

Rodri can be ok but has done nothing defensively in recent times at all, Gundogan can't defend full stop, the rags have 3 to choose from who all have a case. In actual fact Fernandinho is still better than all of them on both sides but doesn't play there.

We are miles better at football back there but equally as hopeless in the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.