It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people don't want to hear this, but I think our rebuilding job this summer is a LOT bigger than we originally thought.

agreed again mate. With a sort of relaxation of the rules it seems plus the silver lake cash sat there, the big boy of the CFG needs some serious TLC this summer! With Chelsea spending big already and no doubt the rags plunging themselves further into debt and the dippers seemingly not spending much of anything then we need to strike!

I know people don't want to hear this, but I think our rebuilding job this summer is a LOT bigger than we originally thought.
I don’t think it is, we all thought we needed two centre backs, a left back , and a forward that hasn’t really changed imo. Think those are the 4 we’ll bring in possibly a 5th if we are thinking of bringing an Aguero replacement in this summer too.

agreed again mate. With a sort of relaxation of the rules it seems plus the silver lake cash sat there, the big boy of the CFG needs some serious TLC this summer! With Chelsea spending big already and no doubt the rags plunging themselves further into debt and the dippers seemingly not spending much of anything then we need to strike!
As I understand the silver lake as a CFG investment money doesn’t count as income so isn’t counted towards FFP.Plus I thought the ffp rules weren’t so much being relaxed, only the accounting period postponed until it’s combined with next years so spend over the 2 years could be spent now but it would limit next years when we might need Aguero’s replacement.

I don’t think it is, we all thought we needed two centre backs, a left back , and a forward that hasn’t really changed imo. Think those are the 4 we’ll bring in possibly a 5th if we are thinking of bringing an Aguero replacement in this summer too.
we 100% need a like for like replacement for Aguero, I'm a big fan of Jesus but he's not the same type of player as Aguero, but we need both.
We need an actual LW, Cover for RB and LB, CB at least 6 by my count.
And then don't forget we need to prevent a drop off from pitch to bench, we're overstacked in CAM but not many other places.

Oh also cover for Rodrigo

I think you may be right. This season the squad has really divided into 2 - those than can be relied upon and those that can’t. The group that can’t be consistently relied upon have regressed as they’ve seen less football and those that can be relied upon have sometimes over played - like Fern and Raz. We’ve got some need at CB and LB to improve our starting 11 but it’s in the area of immediate back up where we need to improve. When we’ve rested players ahead of big games the drop off is really marked at the moment - Bournemouth being a good example. 2 years ago we had pretty much 25 players who were on it but today that 25 has diminished and there’s a few players who need to be moved on because Pep has clearly lost faith in the likes of Stones and Otamendi.

I think you may be right. This season the squad has really divided into 2 - those than can be relied upon and those that can’t. The group that can’t be consistently relied upon have regressed as they’ve seen less football and those that can be relied upon have sometimes over played - like Fern and Raz. We’ve got some need at CB and LB to improve our starting 11 but it’s in the area of immediate back up where we need to improve. When we’ve rested players ahead of big games the drop off is really marked at the moment - Bournemouth being a good example. 2 years ago we had pretty much 25 players who were on it but today that 25 has diminished and there’s a few players who need to be moved on because Pep has clearly lost faith in the likes of Stones and Otamendi.

That's perfectly fair, however I would argue that it's the mentality of key players like Raz who bottle games like the 3-2 and every trip to Anfield, as well as Pep's faith in players like Gundogan who can't be relied upon, that are holding us back.

We seem to be at a crossroads at the moment with Bravo, Silva and Sané going or gone, Otamendi, Angelino, Stones, Zinchenko (great squad player but never good enough for our midfield and not a long term left back) and possibly Cancelo (he seems decent when he plays but Pep doesn’t seem to trust him) to possibly follow.

There are also a few players who desperately need to find form- Bernardo, Mendy and Gundogan.

We need 2 centre backs, a left back, a wide player and a forward. We could also do with an 8 as it appears that when KDB plays with either Bernardo or Foden we lose the control that Silva gives, when Gundogan plays 8 we have control but a slower tempo and less attacking thrust.

We could also do with a bit of personality in the team. Too many of our players are quiet workaholics who thrive in Pep’s system but struggle when the plan A is failing. Our team has lost the personality of Kompany which was belief and never say die now seems to be Sterling’s team- often brilliant but frustrating and profligate with occasional off days that are dreadful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.