It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see there are 2 sides to this argument so I thought I'd make a summary of the pros and cons.

+ Greatest player in history plays for Man City.
+ Scores 30 goals and gets 30 assists a season.
+ Plays the best football you're ever going to see.
+ Tends to make everyone around him play better.
+ Will probably make Pep stop doubting the side.
+ Brings in a ton of money.
+ Upsets millions of rival fans.

- People might be mean about us buying him.
- We don't know how much of someone's else's money it will cost.
Thing is I’m trying to look at the negatives and I can’t find one!

I’m also bemused here as it’s clear as day that “if” he does come, the lads hyping it here will be the ones the most disappointed and vocal.

“He scored two, but in his heyday he used to score 4”
People are honestly expecting Messi circa 2012 going by comments here.
He could come here and score 20 goals but that won’t live up to the hype for some.

The messi opinions make me lol so much , why wouldn’t the best player to ever played the game fail in the premier league ???

the league ain’t that great ffs..

players like Zlatan , Henrike Larsson came to this league in their 30s and tore the league up and people are doubting a far superior player could do it !!!!!

the same people who say we should of give Dave another year and we’re flabagasted Dave didn’t start against Lyon etc are doubting messi whos younger and a miles better player. Lol you lot who think this wouldn’t work are mental.

Saying it would ruin the harmony of the team etc loooool we lost more games then wolves and united last year ffs.

I’d swap messi for kun in a heartbeat as well.

Messi is the greatest player of all time and he doesn’t get injured every year like Kun does.

messi with city would win the golden boat no questions asked .

Last edited:
The messi opinions make me lol so much , why wouldn’t the best player to ever played the game fail in the premier league ???

the league ain’t that great ffs..

playZlatan , Henrike Larsson came to this league in their 30s and tore the league up and people are doubting a far superior player could do it !!!!!

the same people who say we should of give Dave another year and we’re flabagasted Dave didn’t start against Lyon etc are doubting messi whos younger and a miles better player. Lol you lot who think this wouldn’t work are mental.

Saying it would ruin the harmony of the team etc loooool we lost more games then wolves and united last year ffs.

I’d swap messi for kun in a heartbeat as well.

Messi is the greatest player of all time and he doesn’t get injured every year like Kun does.

messi with city would win the golden boat no questions asked .

Lol, golden boat.

People seem really concerned about a number of things - some genuine, some not so

Genuine concerns are those about his age - Messi at 33 is still the best player on the planet. However age catches up with everyone, but at Barca he plays all the time. With us I dont think he would - I think there would be rotation to help save his legs (I dont actually see that as needed at the moment - he still looks as good as ever). He will also have a very different team around him - KDB, Foden Jesus, Sterling, Walker - players who just run and run all match and will cover the extra ground.

He wont affect Foden's progression - infact if you asked Phil himself about the prospect of playing/training with Messi every day - what do you think he would say - He has just finished playing next to Merlin every day - listen to what he says about him and now he has the prospect of playing/training with Messi - do you think he turns that down? What about the likes of Doyle, Braff etc etc

Genuine concern about cost and wages - the club will know if this is feasible and we have to trust them (despite what the press/media will say).

The dressing room/control/influence - he wont be capt - I think this will fall to KDB this year and the next few years. There are some very strong charachters in that dressing room who have been here a long time - Ferna being another, Walker as well besides KDB. There is also Ake who was capt of Bournmouth who obviously has leadership qualities (not sure about Koulibaly should we get him but he would be another very experienced player) - Messi, despite who he is will be the new boy so to speak. Then there is WHO runs the club - Khaldoon and Txixi (whom he knows and will have a good strong relationship) - do you believe they will allow anything to affect the club - UEFA just tried it and got woman slapped!

the we come to the non genuine concerns:

Media/opposition fans/teams - fuck them! Who cares what they say. As fans we shouldnt care less. I sense that people are scared/worried that if we lose a game/league/cup with Messi in the side the backlash will be stronger - are people not strong enough to face that? Jesus, we have faced worse than that over the years as city fans. Barca lose with Messi in the side, Juve lose with Ronaldo in the side.

He is still the best player on the planet

I would be very excited if we signed him
I see there are 2 sides to this argument so I thought I'd make a summary of the pros and cons.

+ Greatest player in history plays for Man City.
+ Scores 30 goals and gets 30 assists a season.
+ Plays the best football you're ever going to see.
+ Tends to make everyone around him play better.
+ Will probably make Pep stop doubting the side.
+ Brings in a ton of money.
+ Upsets millions of rival fans.

- People might be mean about us buying him.
- We don't know how much of someone's else's money it will cost.
I would be very happy if we signed him as most people , greatest player ever imo even if he is slightly long in the tooth now , would be still amazing to see him play for city .
With that being said though I still think there may be a few negatives .
for one isn’t one of peps mandatory requirements all players must run and track back etc ?
the problem is Messi doesn’t (or can’t do that any more )
There will be no pressing working in a unit etc .
At 33 his best days are behind him .
Imo now Messi at this age is the ultimate best luxury player .
will probably score 25 goals get 20 assists wouldn’t doubt that , but in the big games like Bayern this year , Liverpool away last year , where you need the whole team to dig in , defend from the front etc , Messi wouldn’t fit in to that .

having said all that I’d probably still sign him lol and hope that pep could find a system where we can get best out of him.

You would think he would wouldn't you but would he.
Maybe city just think "lets see what we get out of him footballing wise",
and it's more of a marketing decision?
I'm pretty sure the powers that be have weighed it all up,and if we are showing some major interest,there is a very valid reason,may not be all on pitch related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.