It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. We have no problems scoring goals. This transfer make zero sense.

And we also had a great defensive record. So what problem do we have?

Yes, we scored a lot, often racking up big scores against certain teams. But in other more pressured games we failed to convert enough chances. And then there were the occasional banana-skin games too.

People seem really concerned about a number of things - some genuine, some not so

Genuine concerns are those about his age - Messi at 33 is still the best player on the planet. However age catches up with everyone, but at Barca he plays all the time. With us I dont think he would - I think there would be rotation to help save his legs (I dont actually see that as needed at the moment - he still looks as good as ever). He will also have a very different team around him - KDB, Foden Jesus, Sterling, Walker - players who just run and run all match and will cover the extra ground.

He wont affect Foden's progression - infact if you asked Phil himself about the prospect of playing/training with Messi every day - what do you think he would say - He has just finished playing next to Merlin every day - listen to what he says about him and now he has the prospect of playing/training with Messi - do you think he turns that down? What about the likes of Doyle, Braff etc etc

Genuine concern about cost and wages - the club will know if this is feasible and we have to trust them (despite what the press/media will say).

The dressing room/control/influence - he wont be capt - I think this will fall to KDB this year and the next few years. There are some very strong charachters in that dressing room who have been here a long time - Ferna being another, Walker as well besides KDB. There is also Ake who was capt of Bournmouth who obviously has leadership qualities (not sure about Koulibaly should we get him but he would be another very experienced player) - Messi, despite who he is will be the new boy so to speak. Then there is WHO runs the club - Khaldoon and Txixi (whom he knows and will have a good strong relationship) - do you believe they will allow anything to affect the club - UEFA just tried it and got woman slapped!

the we come to the non genuine concerns:

Media/opposition fans/teams - fuck them! Who cares what they say. As fans we shouldnt care less. I sense that people are scared/worried that if we lose a game/league/cup with Messi in the side the backlash will be stronger - are people not strong enough to face that? Jesus, we have faced worse than that over the years as city fans. Barca lose with Messi in the side, Juve lose with Ronaldo in the side.

He is still the best player on the planet

No he’s being realistic while the rest of you act like 8-year olds on christmas eve.
”Buy me Messi sheikh daddy”.

We will see in a few weeks that we were right. The club were never serious about this and the rumours were false.
I still get excited on Christmas eve and I'm 46.
You miserable sod :)

I see there are 2 sides to this argument so I thought I'd make a summary of the pros and cons.

+ Greatest player in history plays for Man City.
+ Scores 30 goals and gets 30 assists a season.
+ Plays the best football you're ever going to see.
+ Tends to make everyone around him play better.
+ Will probably make Pep stop doubting the side.
+ Brings in a ton of money.
+ Upsets millions of rival fans.

- People might be mean about us buying him.
- We don't know how much of someone's else's money it will cost.

Far to much over thinking by some regarding Messi. It's like you are actively looking for negatives instead of the potential positives. It must be shit to live your life tryi g to come up with the worst case possibility all the time.

Its Messi..
Quite the opposite, we actually take notice of what makes City and every other top European side exciting and also difficult to beat. That's pace, intensity and aggression when pressing combined with ability.

If you don't combine the two, you have weaknesses that can be exploited and subsequently can't compete at the highest level. We want the best for our team as well, we just see things differently and explain why rather than spouting "it's Messi". It's probably the same posters who were telling everyone else we would be shit when Toure left because we hadn't replaced him like for like, when in fact we were a far superior team without him because we could combine both elements of high intensity pressing and ability.

Like a few your talking like we get Messi the rest of our world class players will just stand back after giving him the ball and say over to you Messi we don’t have to do owt now! How very wrong you are! We dominate games Messi if the miracle happens would be part of the team playing as a team we have the best manager in the world.
We do that now with De Bruyne as soon as things get tough.

I see there are 2 sides to this argument so I thought I'd make a summary of the pros and cons.

+ Greatest player in history plays for Man City.
+ Scores 30 goals and gets 30 assists a season.
+ Plays the best football you're ever going to see.
+ Tends to make everyone around him play better.
+ Will probably make Pep stop doubting the side.
+ Brings in a ton of money.
+ Upsets millions of rival fans.

- People might be mean about us buying him.
- We don't know how much of someone's else's money it will cost.

From the second list you missed out

+ can he really do it against the might of Sheffield United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.