It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken or egg situation.

I'd suggest we didn't press with he same intensity because we didn't have the players (available or in form) to implement it this season.

I never said anything about being like Livarpool or wanting to be anything like Livarpool but as you rightly point out we did high press in the two title winning seasons, for different reasons, but that's irrelevant. We're at our best with high intensity pressing, the trophy cabinet proves it.

Messi can press but won't because like most players of a certain age, he needs to conserve his energy levels. Very few players (Fernandinho being one) can maintain constant high intensity pressing levels at 33, however we all know Fernandinho at 35 simply isn't capable of doing that job anymore on a consistent basis. If you think Messi is any different and age doesn't affect him, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
It is relevant when the sides including us that are winning the titles are using the high press, as Bayern proved last weekend.

Messi at his glorious best under Pep was not only the greatest player on the planet but also one of the most hardworking. His pressing as the first line of defence was extraordinary!

I was using an example of a special player if available.

I would prefer us to be spending those reserves on the next big things.

The only place Mbappe is going to is Real.

I find it strange if these reserves are available for special players, why the hell did we not break the bank to get the CB we desperately needed at the start of last season.
Maybe someone within the club decided the CB we were after just wasn't worth the money, looking back at his performances and the fact he is as we speak on trial in the Greek courts, i'd say they were right.

I find it strange if these reserves are available for special players, why the hell did we not break the bank to get the CB we desperately needed at the start of last season.

You seem to be only viewing one side of the equation. Messi would bring substantially increased commercial revenues.

You seem to be only viewing one side of the equation. Messi would bring substantially increased commercial revenues.
I am not, but we are talking a 33 yr old Messi.

Who and what would he bring in terms of revenue, a genuine , honest question.

No fans in the stadium for one and unlikely to change to any great extent this coming season.

We have a shirt deal with a company not associated with Messi.

We have the deal with Etihad, are looking to replace and so far no takers.

Will a company/companies come to us because of Messi? I am genuinely not sure. If he comes in and rips the league a new one, yes they will want the action but before , not so sure, I hope I am very wrong.

I may be well wide of the mark here and maybe Mr Hairdoo can put me right.......this is just opinion by the way.
I personally don't think Mansour/Khaldoon are signing off £20-30m in wages for a player they KNOW is past his best.
I also think that some sponsor/partner,maybe a good few,are lined up to chip a bit more into the pot.
No way we do a deal for him unless it benefits us and our partners/sponsors in some way,shape or form.
Ultimately,I'm guessing he ends up free........just opinion.

I may be well wide of the mark here and maybe Mr Hairdoo can put me right.......this is just opinion by the way.
I personally don't think Mansour/Khaldoon are signing off £20-30m in wages for a player they KNOW is past his best.
I also think that some sponsor/partner,maybe a good few,are lined up to chip a bit more into the pot.
No way we do a deal for him unless it benefits us and our partners/sponsors in some way,shape or form.
Ultimately,I'm guessing he ends up free........just opinion.
I totally agree and if he costs us little or the same any 'ordinary" player , then get him in, and quickly.

Chicken or egg situation.

I'd suggest we didn't press with he same intensity because we didn't have the players (available or in form) to implement it this season. - Pep bought and coached those players - he changed it

I never said anything about being like Livarpool or wanting to be anything like Livarpool but as you rightly point out we did high press in the two title winning seasons, for different reasons, but that's irrelevant. We're at our best with high intensity pressing, the trophy cabinet proves it. - Liverpool was just an example. Even in our title winning seasons we press sporadically and at certain points - not fully intensley - are you suggesting Messi cant do this - especially playing less games, being rotated, subbed on and off as needed and with a team that can press unlike his barca team mates who had pretty much downed tools

Messi can press but won't because like most players of a certain age, he needs to conserve his energy levels. Very few players (Fernandinho being one) can maintain constant high intensity pressing levels at 33, however we all know Fernandinho at 35 simply isn't capable of doing that job anymore on a consistent basis. If you think Messi is any different and age doesn't affect him, then we'll have to agree to disagree. - Ive already answered this - he will have less pressure on him, will be rotated and will conserve energy that way - not played to death -he will have youth around him that will helpl him out. He is more energetic and mobile that Rodri, Gundogan for starters (not suggesting he will play defensive midfield btw and Pep lpays both of those regularly and Gundogan esp doesnt press when played in a more attacking role - its about balance and choosing when to press NOT being like liverpool and going full all out all the time (hence then as the example I used)

I believe you and others are more fearful of the backlash/pisst ake if we dont win with him in the side than these supposed negatives that people keep finding but are being easily dismissed by others

It is relevant when the sides including us that are winning the titles are using the high press, as Bayern proved last weekend.

Messi at his glorious best under Pep was not only the greatest player on the planet but also one of the most hardworking. His pressing as the first line of defence was extraordinary!
The only bit I said was irrelevant was the reason for the high press; ours to regain possession, Livarpool's as a way to start attacks. Other than that I completely agree.

We dont have to spend the reserve on the next big thing...we spend our normal transfer money on that....we are constantly scouring the wolrd for the next big thing - Buying Messi doesnt affect that unless its toa. kid from somewhere who has offers from everywhere and we say to him- "hey, if you come to us you get to train with Messi for a few years as well" - do you think that might be a positive somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.