It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
People wont like this but they are looking stronger and more of a team - long way to go but lets see what the transfer window does for them - besides Sancho Ive not heard much about them an whom they are going for
There team isn't bad, they have absoloutely nothing from the bench, which is why they had to play unchanged from the restart. To compete they would need a couple of first teamers and 3 or 4 squad players.

There team isn't bad, they have absoloutely nothing from the bench, which is why they had to play unchanged from the restart. To compete they would need a couple of first teamers and 3 or 4 squad players.

agreed - like i said it will be intersting to see what they will do in the transfer window other than their chase of Snacho

Our press hasnt been the problem. -pep has clearly not wanted us to press with such intensity - the whole team have backed off from doing it in mosst games (in some we have)

The lack of intensity and aggression is from the likes of Rodri and Gundogan and Mendy. We have used a high press sometimes BUT not all the time not even in our title winning seasons - we are selective when we do it and always have been ----again im just using liverpool as a comparrison as a team who do it with intensity and not selvectively which we do..and they ALWAYS do it - we have never done it like them and never will hence Messi wont be needed to.

Silva left cause he chose to - 10 years was a nice way of rounding off his time here. Foden doesnt press all the time - he can do but again he is selective. In the last 10 games or so he was our best player showing he could still do it - Silva has never been a player who presses even when young - still the best midfielder the prem has ever seen however.

The issues you highlight miss out that we have also been a shambles in the back 4 so any percived issues with a lack of pressing is only a part of the problem (and i dont beleive its anywhere near the main problem)

The main problems for me last season were:

1. back four were awful - messi doesnt impact this at all - he cant prevent the brain farts from Mendy or Walker..he cant prevent Ota being slow and diving in - he cant prevent the injury to Laporte or John Stones losing his head/confidence
2. Finishing - Jesus, Sterling are poor finishers - we missed chances in crucial games when at 0-0 or even at 0-1 down - Messi doesnt miss those chances - big game player with an unparralled level of finishing.

Aguero leaving - yes he will - do you think having Messi in the team helps us attract a suitable replacement - Haaland and Mbappe already truned us down because we may not be seen by some as a big enough club - that changes the instant he is in the squad - no matter what level of player you are

The effect he has on the younger players - Imagine phil foden being told he is going to play and train with Messi - do you think he reacts negatively to this??? No he doesnt - do any of the young kids? no

The team Messi would have around him here is probably more suited to him now - energy in the right places, experience in others.
You think it's a Pep decision, I don't. Pep hasn't had the players available and in form to be able to implement the high press as well as the previous two seasons. Time will tell but I am absolutely certain we will be looking to return to that high pressing style to regain possession next season. If not, we won't come close to the league or Champions League.

Livarpool don't always press though, they specifically do it for 15-20 minute periods twice a game, as an attacking tactic because they haven't got the creativity (unless they get Thiago) to play our possession style. If you take away the ridiculous amount of VAR assistance, the league positions would be much closer.

You also seem to be implying I think our high press is similar to Livarpool's, I don't.

Our high press is short, sharp bursts (5-10 seconds, 20 times a game) to recover the ball as quickly as possible to keep control of the game with possession. Livarpool's is sustained periods (15-20 minutes twice a game) of intense high pressing and long balls aimed specifically at starting a counter attack. I know the difference, hence why I'm not suggesting we do what Livarpool do, not at all. However I don't think Messi (or any of the aforementioned players Silva, Aguero...) can press 20 times a game in our two title winning seasons style any longer, hence why we haven't do so this season, we simply haven't got the legs and Messi won't help us in that respect.

We've been a shambles at the back because we haven't been able to press, give any team time and space to pick a pass over the top and they'll take it. Stop the time and space, stop the defence being so exposed.

What about getting rid of Mahrez Mess would surely be replacing him more than Bernardo or possibly Aguero or a Jesus plus was Mahrez not linked with PSG a while back bet he could fancy Spain he is older than Jesus and Bernardo so makes sense from our point of view in terms of keeping the age down even after bringing in a player who is 33

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.