It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Varane is one of those I’ve always just assumed is class because he was so early on - I remember his debut against us in 2012 (I was there, what a day!) and he was great.

Has he gone that downhill that Madrid are open to getting rid despite Ramos going too?!

Real are trying to get him to renew - he's in the last year of his contract so holds all the leverage.

They will be forced to sell if he wants to move.

Well when you actually analyse it man for man, a lot of the players are obviously the same, but when you look at the replacements:

Kompany - Dias
Fernandinho - Rodri
Sané - Mahrez
David Silva - Grealish
Aguero - Kane

I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue the replacements are upgrades.
Like I posted look at last season! Yep no argument on paper!

Yeh I never disputed it looks good.

I'm just saying it doesn't look as good as Ederson, Walker, Stones, Kompany, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Silva, DeBruyne, Sané, Sterling & Aguero.
From your post I took it that you meant a step down in quality year over year, not a step down from the best first XI we ever saw. You're going back a few seasons now.

Year over year if we get Grealish and Kane in for Bernardo and Aguero then it's a definite upgrade.

I love Bernardo as much as anyone but I don't accept all the Grealish bashing on here. He's as good a player as Bernardo and a fighter like him too. And obviously the Aguero we knew is gone.

Well when you actually analyse it man for man, a lot of the players are obviously the same, but when you look at the replacements:

Kompany - Dias
Fernandinho - Rodri
Sané - Mahrez
David Silva - Grealish
Aguero - Kane

I’d argue that the team isn’t worse than it was in Peps opening season which was your point.
Comparing individuals is a pointless exercise because we have evolved in the way we play over the last 5 years.

Yeah true but last season we were 2 games away from winning the lot! I just worry about when Pep leaves because that’s when our high standards and trophy haul will slow down.
Well, you never know...

I think Pep's the best manager in the world, possibly ever.

But there's a very good argument you could hold him personally responsible for us not winning the CL, certainly after last season's final debacle.

Also look at Bayern and Barca, they managed to win the CL multiple times both just before and just after he left. There's no reason City couldn't do the same.

The truth is we should be a little worried about United this year, they were missing a world class CB so if they do sign Varane and adding Sancho to their squad will improve them significantly.

I’d argue that the team isn’t worse than it was in Peps opening season which was your point.
Comparing individuals is a pointless exercise because we have evolved in the way we play over the last 5 years.
That actually wasn't my point.

My point was that on paper the starting 11 next season looks the weakest since his first season. i.e. his first season was weaker, but next season could be the next weakest.

I'm not sure he hates the culture, young people from Portugal are pretty much Anglophiles, certainly in terms of how they try to learn English from an early age, embrace the music?

They have young people who know they have to leave Portugal to get on in life, seem to not have the same ideas of station as maybe Spaniards?

For sure, the weather is crap and Manchester is certainly not Madrid or Barcelona, so can appreciate if he wants another change of scene at this stage in his life, maybe wanting to settle down and start a family, etc.

He and his partner certainly like the Ivy. Seen them in the several times

Kompany - Dias
Fernandinho - Rodri
Sané - Mahrez
David Silva - Grealish
Aguero - Kane

This is a good comparison but I don't think it's fair. The players on the left obviously have declined with age. So here's what I'd like to see, who was/is available who you'd have got or would like to get instead?

Peak Aguero vs peak Kane I choose Aguero. But that's a different era, may as well be comparing Kane and Pele. Aguero next season or Kane next season, I choose Kane.

Reactions: nmc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.