It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
its so hard to judge isnt it.

Ive watched players like Bell, Summerbee and Lee etc on video and know they were fantastic players....forwards like Jimmy Greaves etc and even players like Dennis Law, Best and Charlton and always wondered how they would fair in the modern game.

The skill level now seems so much higher, the pace so much quicker and the game even though its not as physical (ie you cant put challenges in like you used to) in some ways it is much more physical...take a player like Kyle walker....who can basically run 100m not far off quick enough (certainly in his prime) to be a reasonable sprinter....(not olympic standard but I bet he aint far off national level)......players like that didnt seem to exist in the 60's and 70's...I watch Bell and how graceful he was and I know from parents/grandparents that watched him that he could run all day but would he keep up with the pace of the modern game??...someone like Sterling or B.Silva whose work rates are phenominal....Ive looked to see if you can find stats for instance on Bell to see how far he ran in matches.....but Im guessing they didnt keep them back then so there is no way of knowing for sure.

People who had the privilege of watching these greats always say that they could have made it today.....maybe they could but that could also be nostalgia talking....who knows?

I was there on the Kippaz inthe 80's and can comfortably say that not many of those players from back then would make it at the top level now (Paul Lake would, Brightwell was a workhorse and another who could run for ever but did he have the skill level to play now)...Rosler almost definitely, Kinky if he had work rate?....ut can you iagine the likes of Steve Redmond (who was one of my favourite players for city as a kid) David White, players lilke Lomas, Steve Kinsey, Perry Suckling, Eric Nixon etc etc ever playing top flight football now...I dont think they would stand a chance
You've got to remember most of the players in those days were smoking, drinking and eating anything. The older ones were also playing on a ploughed field with a ball that got heavier during the game in a cotton shirt.

I suspect if you could take any of the top players from any previous era, certainly after WWII when the game became more professional, and drop them into an academy as a youngster, they'd still be a top player. You certainly couldn't pick a prime Bell or anyone else and drop them in the PL as the pace would be too much and the players would be too fit, but give them the same training and health advice and they'd still rise to the top, providing they were willing to train ( so you might not see Kinky). Whether any of the defenders and hatchet midfielders would make it is a different question, as I'm not sure how much natural skill some of them had.

Whether a prime Silva etc could play in an era when assault was allowed is another question and I suspect some modern players couldn't deal with it. I certainly prefer modern football that allows players like that to show their skills on a decent pitch.

Although he’s only 16 goals behind Firminho in 80 games fewer, most of which wouldn't have involved 90 minutes, unlike the aforementioned Firminho, so not a very good comparison really.
He has very little playing time if you think about it , pep knows he is not a sergio replacement or even a good striking option , anyhow back to the thread

I don't agree with the trophy and grealish argument yesterday. However this bit I do agree with, everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it. What Is the point of the forum when people use the Pep knows best argument.
It really wasn't about opinions though, it was about Simon being unable to read a post (or 30) and then banging on about how many trophies being won by individual players over their careers. It was actually about whether Kane & Grealish would be an upgrade next season for an Aguero who's already left (so a no-brainer) & a Bernardo who by all accounts is also leaving.

Brazilian football in the 60's and 70's was considered to be as good as European football I believe.
I can certainly remember my dad getting our kid and I in the front room to watch the South Americans kick the living shit out of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.