Status
Not open for further replies.
211 appearances
82 goals
34 assists
Runs his head off
Presses like he is told to do

Yeah. He’s certainly ‘Meh’
Easy to reel of stats over five years, it doesnt show how he regressed from a very promising start , pep went no strikers rather than play him as a striker , i see what he does , just dont call him a striker

Easy to reel of stats over five years, it doesnt show how he regressed from a very promising start , pep went no strikers rather than play him as a striker , i see what he does , just dont call him a striker
You reeled off one goal and a game v Madrid. And said the rest has been meh. It hasn’t. Those stats show that. His game play shows why Pep plays him in the team.

We know. You tell us every single time his name is mentioned in any thread

I don't think Aguero would do as well as Pelé did for Santos back in the 60's and 70's, personally.
I suspect he'd make Pelé look like he was playing in treacle.

It was a couple of decades ago that Socrates (I think) was suggesting football needed to drop to ten a side, because players were too fast these days. It's only got more extreme since then.

Clearly a lot of the best players from the 60s/70s would be much better athletes if they were playing now, but I suspect a lot of even great players from that time wouldn't be playing in the lower divisions as they wouldn't have the natural speed/athletic ability you need now.

its so hard to judge isnt it.

Ive watched players like Bell, Summerbee and Lee etc on video and know they were fantastic players....forwards like Jimmy Greaves etc and even players like Dennis Law, Best and Charlton and always wondered how they would fair in the modern game.

The skill level now seems so much higher, the pace so much quicker and the game even though its not as physical (ie you cant put challenges in like you used to) in some ways it is much more physical...take a player like Kyle walker....who can basically run 100m not far off quick enough (certainly in his prime) to be a reasonable sprinter....(not olympic standard but I bet he aint far off national level)......players like that didnt seem to exist in the 60's and 70's...I watch Bell and how graceful he was and I know from parents/grandparents that watched him that he could run all day but would he keep up with the pace of the modern game??...someone like Sterling or B.Silva whose work rates are phenominal....Ive looked to see if you can find stats for instance on Bell to see how far he ran in matches.....but Im guessing they didnt keep them back then so there is no way of knowing for sure.

People who had the privilege of watching these greats always say that they could have made it today.....maybe they could but that could also be nostalgia talking....who knows?

I was there on the Kippaz inthe 80's and can comfortably say that not many of those players from back then would make it at the top level now (Paul Lake would, Brightwell was a workhorse and another who could run for ever but did he have the skill level to play now)...Rosler almost definitely, Kinky if he had work rate?....ut can you iagine the likes of Steve Redmond (who was one of my favourite players for city as a kid) David White, players lilke Lomas, Steve Kinsey, Perry Suckling, Eric Nixon etc etc ever playing top flight football now...I dont think they would stand a chance
You would get pro footballers who smoked in the old days...says it all really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.