It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the issue is the rags bit, ok. Just wanted to clarify.

Look, not judging btw in the slightest, for clarity. I get emotion.

For me, bar the weight of the dislike of each former club (and plenty seem to dislike spurs too), the two transfers are the same. We'd be signing another club's senior player, both established elsewhere, both arrogant egos albeit one much much more. Also happens to be a much much better player.

Don't feel particularly swayed by the emotion at this point in the window, but if I did, I could almost find Ronaldo more palatable than Kane if I stop to think about it. Because of the fees involved, and also because ronaldo has been at multiple big clubs.

I also understand attempting to be rational. But if cheering for a legend at your biggest rivals doesn't make you squirm then what even is the point of all of this?

It's perfectly rational to switch the teams that you support every year based on who you think you'll enjoy the most at that time. It's perfectly rational to hope that your rivals do well because your friends will be happy so you cheer them on. In fact for most of our lives it has been perfectly rational not to support Manchester City.

Football isn't rational, it's a tribalistic endeavour and at some point that has to come into the conversation and I think signing a Rooney or a Ronaldo is probably that point.

I also understand attempting to be rational. But if cheering for a legend at your biggest rivals doesn't make you squirm then what even is the point of all of this?

It's perfectly rational to switch the teams that you support every year based on who you think you'll enjoy the most at that time. It's perfectly rational to hope that your rivals do well because your friends will be happy so you cheer them on. In fact for most of our lives it has been perfectly rational not to support Manchester City.

Football isn't rational, it's a tribalistic endeavour and at some point that has to come into the conversation and I think signing a Rooney or a Ronaldo is probably that point.

Fair enough.

My issue with Ronaldo would be Ronaldo himself, more than his association with utd. Particularly given I associate him with Real more. In the sense that I find him annoying, and cheering him would feel a chore. But that is easy to think for a player of another club. I find Kane annoying. But that wasnt the reason for the concerns I had with us going for him, and would support him if he came. Found Mahrez annoying before he came, the showboating robben wannabe. Now, won't have anyone call him FFS. Etc Etc. Ronaldo is a damn good player.
Way better than Kane. Much cheaper. Not long term, sure, but neither is Kane, relatively. Still doubt there is much to the one claim by l'equippe, but keeping an open mind if it does build to anything more substantial.

Last edited:

Iconic City moments:

law relegating Man Utd at Old Trafford
Tevez scoring against them and giving it to Ferguson.

Just end the season with a city trophy. That's all that matters. I'll take anyone who will run through walls for City goals.

Iconic City moments:

law relegating Man Utd at Old Trafford
Tevez scoring against them and giving it to Ferguson.

Just end the season with a city trophy. That's all that matters. I'll take anyone who will run through walls for City goals.

Law was almost 50 years ago, half a century. He's moving into the Meredith and Mangall territory. Tevez was never the icon at United that Ronaldo was and we bought him directly. They still sing Viva Ronaldo on a regular basis at Old Trafford; he got booed when he came to the Etihad. They aren't really comparable.

Would you be happy with Gary Neville playing right back? What about getting Rooney up front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.