It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
We learned it's better to wait and find the right player than panic buy the wrong one.
We signed Dias a year later and won the title and got to our first CL final.

If we hadn't stuck to our guns we'd have horribly overpaid for Maguire and wouldn't have Dias.
I don't think you can draw this conclusion. For some reason we decided on Maguire. That wasn't a panic signing, just bad recruitment (with hindsight). If we had stuck to our guns, we would have signed Maguire. I know that some people believe the line put out by various journalists that we always wanted Dias, but I don't believe that for a second. I think, much like what we're seeing now, we couldn't agree a price with Napoli for Koulibaly or Sevilla for Kounde and that Dias was probably option C or D. The same was true for Rodri, where it was clear that our preference was Jorginho.

Yep but it left them with an ageing squad on big money.

They haven't won a league title since...
We have no striker. Ronaldo is available and we won't have to break the bank to get him. With only 6 days left in the window, our options are as narrow as it gets. Acquiring Ronaldo now does not need to impact what happens next season.

I don't think you can draw this conclusion. For some reason we decided on Maguire. That wasn't a panic signing, just bad recruitment (with hindsight). If we had stuck to our guns, we would have signed Maguire. I know that some people believe the line put out by various journalists that we always wanted Dias, but I don't believe that for a second. I think, much like what we're seeing now, we couldn't agree a price with Napoli for Koulibaly or Sevilla for Kounde and that Dias was probably option C or D. The same was true for Rodri, where it was clear that our preference was Jorginho.
Dias was a Mendes deal. He saved us. It makes you think that if it weren’t for him, maybe we wouldn’t have signed another CB. We wouldn’t have paid the fee Sevilla wanted for Kounde, Napoli wanted for Koulibaly, Atletico wanted for Gimenez or even the entire fee Benfica wanted for Dias. It took Mendes to make it work. Maybe he’ll pull it off again too

Also, if we had signed Maguire, are people really sure he wouldn’t have worked in our time possibly as well as Dias?

It wasn't stupid money. It hardly broke the bank. It was stop gap money and it made all the difference.

I was referring to the long list of old players they have bought as stop gaps in the following years, at stupid wages.
In the meantime we have bought younger players and won the league 4 times , and a plethora of cups.
Don't quote me the "United way" as the way forward please.

Dias was a Mendes deal. He saved us. It makes you think that if it weren’t for him, maybe we wouldn’t have signed another CB. We wouldn’t have paid the fee Sevilla wanted for Kounde, Napoli wanted for Koulibaly, Atletico wanted for Gimenez or even the entire fee Benfica wanted for Dias. It took Mendes to make it work. Maybe he’ll pull it off again too

Crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.