I've got a drink problem.

I wasn't happy with my gambling levels so out of the blue one day I just self excluded out of all my online accounts and took up squash. I also won an iPad a few weeks ago through work and got some silly games on that which keep me occupied, along with my MCSE I.T. course that work offered me.

I was amazed the amount of times I applied bets to real world situations the first week. I'd hear a darts result, and would say in my head "I bet he was 6/4 to do that!". It didn't scare me, but opened my eyes even more.

The iPad thing sounds stupid but the betting started to creep into the weekdays. Would land home from work, and I'd go "so let's have a look who is playing in the Swedish first division tonight". The iPad keeps me busy and away from that.

Now my train of thought is a lot better and I haven't had a bet in 3 weeks.

I know it isn't drinking but some of the same stuff applied. I think I got kicked so many times that a small £10 bet that lost made me think "Enough is enough". I wasn't even enjoying it anymore, the initial buzz from starting out turned into a numbing feeling years later.

I have after the result today!

Chin up son, at least you've realised you've got a problem, thats the first step...

Kenster197, as someone who took a massive step away from the drink, now its been over 26 years, I can only encourage you to keep going, its tough but just keep going.............

kenster197 said:
OK, a wee update... I went 2 1/2 months competely dry then tought .....Ahhh, 1 night for the football will be fine..6 weeks later............ I eventually went to see the doc and asked for medication to help / force me to stop. He agreed it would help and started the process, the next step was a psych' evaluation which went fine, then an ECG to make sure my heart was fit enough to handle the drugs......would you believe the ECG showed a problem out of the blue! No symptoms, nothing, now I'm waiting till Jan 8th for my appointment. However, I am again dry. Antibuse is the drug I'm going to take (hopefully) but I have a thickened wall of the lower left ventrical??? Fingers crossed the cardio doc gives me an all clear and I'll be sober for the rest of my days!! To anyone else out there, stay strong, stay positive and focus on the future.
Good luck for the 8th and keep positive, you and only you can do this, but you have got to want to give it up and it won't be easy. You'll fall off the waggon but get back on it and start again, don't give up!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.