Jack Byrne signs permanently for Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they have to be CL quality? Are you telling me that someone like George Evans (who’s now playing for the team 3rd in the Championship) couldn’t have come on as sub in a league game we were comfortably winning? Brandon Barker should have been given a chance towards the end of the 14/15 season when he was flying in the EDS and we had nothing to play for in the league. And there was a league match against Palace a couple of years ago in which we were 3-0 up and Pellegrini brought on Demichelis to play in midfield for 10 minutes instead of giving Thierry Ambrose his debut. Maybe those players would turn out not to be good enough, but at least they would have been given a chance.
Simplistically because we are aiming to win the CL and so we need a squad capable of performing at that level.

Of course George Evans and others should have been given a few games by Pellegrini, that was one of my big grievances with him. However, giving a youngster the odd run-out from the bench does not mean he's going to be good enough to hold down even a squad place, let alone a regular first team spot. that's a value judgement that the club management have to make. Just how many do you think they have got wrong over the last few years? You also have to consider that some of these youngsters may well prefer regular first team football at a lower level rather than stagnating on the bench with the odd game in the first team.

Is there really this much surprise and fury that Jack Byrne has left?

The fact that he couldn't get into a struggling Blackburn side and has now moved to a struggling Wigan side should tell you everything you need to know! The way some of you go on it'a like we've just lost Iniesta in his prime.

No where near good enough for Manchester City and a three and a half year contract at a Championship club at heart is a fantastic move for him, the best of luck to him.

It's not all that strange considering his last 6 months, however, he's the sort of player you have sat in your squad, capable and grasping the bigger picture... The scum did this for years with players like fletcher, welbeck, Gibson et al, they were no superstars but a much needed part of the squad..... Put it this way, I'd sooner see a Byrne than a delph!

It's not all that strange considering his last 6 months, however, he's the sort of player you have sat in your squad, capable and grasping the bigger picture... The scum did this for years with players like fletcher, welbeck, Gibson et al, they were no superstars but a much needed part of the squad..... Put it this way, I'd sooner see a Byrne than a delph!

You'd sooner have a championship player than a proven prem and international player?

Also Welbeck and Fletcher are very good players even though I get what your point is.

You'd sooner have a championship player than a proven prem and international player?

Also Welbeck and Fletcher are very good players even though I get what your point is.

The kid has potential to be a very good player, one who stays fit for starters and can be relied upon because of it... He hasn't been given the opportunity because the squad is saturated, it has nothing to do with talent....

I'm still waiting on examples from yourself where City have demonstrably messed up. Suarez, Trippier, Sturridge & Schmeichel have all been ruled out for one reason or another (some by yourself), I might add that I disagree with the poster who thinks they have to be CL quality to get a chance but I'm still struggling to see who else fits the bill.

We would need to be in the Academy and /or very close to the players concerned to understand the true position. I can list more players, who I know less about, like Rabidot at PSG who was with us a 14 year old. At that age it's understandable people want to go home.

Statistically we have been poor. The law of averages says that if we were great at developing young players somebody would have had a run of games in the first team over the last deacade.I have given you enough examples and in some cases there are mitigating factors like I acknowledge earlier.

We should be striving for excellence that means severing some first team players rather than ending up as the Kayman Islands of youth development

The kid has potential to be a very good player, one who stays fit for starters and can be relied upon because of it... He hasn't been given the opportunity because the squad is saturated, it has nothing to do with talent....

Everyone at City has the potential to be a very good player otherwise they wouldn't be at the club in the first place. Unless you are a once in a generation young superstar you have to go away and perform on loan and Byrne has simply not done that. The ones who do will go on to have great careers with ourselves, the ones who don't will have great careers elsewhere.

If he was as good as you and other suggest his next club would not be Wigan Athletic who could be League One next season, surely some other Prem team would see his talent or a high end Championship club?

Everyone at City has the potential to be a very good player otherwise they wouldn't be at the club in the first place. Unless you are a once in a generation young superstar you have to go away and perform on loan and Byrne has simply not done that. The ones who do will go on to have great careers with ourselves, the ones who don't will have great careers elsewhere.

If he was as good as you and other suggest his next club would not be Wigan Athletic who could be League One next season, surely some other Prem team would see his talent or a high end Championship club?

I started the original post with 'potential', that is what all those people are trying to allude to. Nobody has said that he is the finished article, far from it, it's merely being highlighted, again, that there is a flaw in the transition in to the first team at the club..... The balance is wrong, thus what has been forced on the club is a buying policy of 'kids' due to the mistake in allowing the squad to become one of the oldest in the prem.

It's always disappointing when an academy prospect moves on. You have to ask though (and I don't know the answer to this) why did he make virtually no impact at Blackburn if he's good enough to be part of City's first team squad? If he'd performed really well at Ewood Park and we'd recalled him just to sell him on without a first team opportunity then I'd be pretty pissed, but to recall him when he's failed to perform at Championship level and then sell him on m not as bothered by. He's 20, he's not made an impact at a lower level so perhaps selling him on was the sensible approach. Angelino is another who needs to make a real impact these next 6 months at Mallorca, otherwise he could find himself surplus to requirements in the summer.

Four years mate. Harry Kane went out on loan at different clubs for a couple of years. Injuries and the Europa League forced Spurs' hand to give him a chance and they've given chances to a few other players since.

Ion answer to your question. I would happily have Kasper in goal now. Wouldn't you?
Nope, he plays for a team that is the antithesis of how pep wants to play, wrong attributes.

If we were at the stage of all of foden, brahim, sancho etc leaving then I'd be worried, they're a different calibre to what's gone before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.