James McAtee

He needs a loan, but I have no faith that we’ll actually select the right club for him. If you look at the academy loans this season, Tommy Doyle, Harwood-Bellis & Trafford all had to change clubs halfway through the season and Morgan Rogers, Finley Burns & Alex Robertson barely played. The only real successes were Bazunu, Callum Doyle and Fiorini - all in league one.
Picking the right loan isn't a simple equation. You have no idea how any player is going to do until they are in that situation and its also up to the player themselves to prove they should play, you don't just get a spot because your on loan from City.

Tommy Doyle played 19 times for Cardiff, that is not bad at all.
Trafford was Bolton number 1 and played 33 times and got some rave reviews.
Harwood-Bellis played 16 times for Anderlecht and then 22 for Stoke, that isn't bad at all. Over 3500 mins across the season.

Picking the right loan isn't a simple equation. You have no idea how any player is going to do until they are in that situation and its also up to the player themselves to prove they should play, you don't just get a spot because your on loan from City.

Tommy Doyle played 19 times for Cardiff, that is not bad at all.
Trafford was Bolton number 1 and played 33 times and got some rave reviews.
Harwood-Bellis played 16 times for Anderlecht and then 22 for Stoke, that isn't bad at all. Over 3500 mins across the season.

But those players didn’t suddenly go from crap to good halfway through the season, which suggests that the original loans were the wrong ones. Sending Tommy Doyle on loan to the German second division was just a bizarre decision.

Rogers should have been recalled from Bournemouth on January 1st and sent elsewhere, even if it was back to League One.

But those players didn’t suddenly go from crap to good halfway through the season, which suggests that the original loans were the wrong ones. Sending Tommy Doyle on loan to the German second division was just a bizarre decision.

Rogers should have been recalled from Bournemouth on January 1st and sent elsewhere, even if it was back to League One.
I disagree. Clubs get new managers, new tactics, other players brought in that change the formation or how a player will play.

By all accounts it was Doyle's agent that pushed to get him to Hamburg and despite them being in the second division, its a huge club with big crowds and a lot of pressure. Much better than sticking him at Accrington Stanley.

We might not have been able to recall Rogers, I wouldn't be surprised if Bournemouth insisted on that when they took him.

It is easy to get seduced by promising youngsters coming through, I really hope Delap, Palmer and McAtee stay, along with some others, but it will surely come to pass that most will have to move on to further their careers, a Foden every five years would be an excellent return from the Academy. If we were jostling for a place in Europe, I think more Academy graduates would be getting more game time, but we are in that situation where we need to let great players leave, and buy better as long as the value is there.

It is easy to get seduced by promising youngsters coming through, I really hope Delap, Palmer and McAtee stay, along with some others, but it will surely come to pass that most will have to move on to further their careers, a Foden every five years would be an excellent return from the Academy. If we were jostling for a place in Europe, I think more Academy graduates would be getting more game time, but we are in that situation where we need to let great players leave, and buy better as long as the value is there.
The three you mentioned are all under contract until 2026 anyway, although I'm not sure why you've included Palmer. He's part of the 1st team squad now.

Going on loan from City doesn't mean that a player slots immediately into a new club, see how many new signings at City need an extended period of adjustment. This is all part of their education, though it may not seem so at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.