James McAtee

Spot on, it always annoys me when people post about whoever the present subject is, that they'll never make it because of how so and so had so many 1st team games by a certain age. They're not clones, everyone is different.

It depends on their physical development and natural physicality and also their style of play and position. James was a standout within the City football structure. But when you look at what he used to do at academy level, he was never going to be able to directly replicate that in the first team. He used to pick it up on the halfway line, turn and dribble past a few players before smacking it in the net or getting an assist. Stick that guy in the Championship and he's booted into the ground before he's even received the ball. It's some change for him, and he spoke about that. Hopefully he can continue to adapt physically and start to show his talents and get some goals and assists to his name. He'll get more protection in the premier league so it's a good level for him to develop at and he's the right end of the table.

How did Doyle look when he came on? I was hoping to watch the game on Monday but missed it. McAtee was mentioned a lot on the bbc live feed of the game (in the first half) - seemed to be involved in all of their best moves. I heard an interview with him a few days ago and he spoke about having to adapt to their different style of play and the physicality. It will take time. He's not physically as strong as other 20 year olds so it might be that his emergence is slightly later than others, but no issue with that. Not all kids are going to be ready for first team football by 20. It does make you realise just how impressive the likes of Foden, Saka and Bellingham are considering the first two aren't much older than McAtee and Bellingham is younger yet already has over 20 England caps!

I've written a quick comment in his own thread,but he looks far more comfortable in this environment than McAtee IMO.

McAtee goal!
cRCyNRL.gif

Last edited:
Yes nice finish, got a choice of all the games to watch and at my boys watching this one. Just back from Hyde v Stalybridge.

Watched his 70 mins - played well, got Motm. Almost stunning how much more comfortable he is after the horrendous start in the Championship. This iso video below is from a month ago vs Cardiff, looked good. Looks even better now.

His spacing is sooo much better than early season - he's always open. He's grown really efficient with his movement, conserving energy against mostly more athletic opponents. But his athleticism has improved, faster, stronger. Protects the ball with his body much better. It looks like he's accepted the limitations of his teammates and remains calm and patient while they trip over their shoelaces or shank passes - better mentality. Welcome back, Macca - hubba hubba.

Watched his 70 mins - played well, got Motm. Almost stunning how much more comfortable he is after the horrendous start in the Championship. This iso video below is from a month ago vs Cardiff, looked good. Looks even better now.

His spacing is sooo much better than early season - he's always open. He's grown really efficient with his movement, conserving energy against mostly more athletic opponents. But his athleticism has improved, faster, stronger. Protects the ball with his body much better. It looks like he's accepted the limitations of his teammates and remains calm and patient while they trip over their shoelaces or shank passes - better mentality. Welcome back, Macca - hubba hubba.

I don't know where you find these videos from, but really thankful for them !

Took his goal superbly,but was fairly reserved otherwise,surprised he was awarded MOTM.

Definitely looks far more at ease though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.