James McAtee

Pep seemed to want to “respect the competition” against Leipzig, but doesn’t seem to have the same problem with the Carabao or FA Cups?

It was a dead rubber and he should have played at least a couple of “kids” (namely Palmer & McAtee), even if he subbed them after 60 mins!

In addition, with 5 subs available, he could have given 10-20 mins to a couple of the others on the bench.

For me, it’s simple pigheadedness that ignores the bigger picture of club development.

One looks over at United playing the kids and even putting on Charlie Savage at 89 minutes. The papers are all over it and even have stats for his cameo.

It does the CLUB no good to not give maximum “on the field” exposure to these “on the threshold” players. It would only take a small injury to João and/or Zin in late February and we would be playing Stones and Ake at RB & LB, respectively!

I’m sure the young lads felt like it was a magnificent experience traveling with the team and learning to understand the different rhythms of life on the road in Europe. Indeed, even the experience gained from being in a CL dressing room was valuable.

All that said, that’s nothing compared to getting a sweaty shirt and your boots dirty on the field.

Pep missed a chance (AGAIN) and we still lost. Worse yet, we lost our first choice RB for the away game in the Round of 16.

One hopes players like McAtee can “see” their future here, because it would be oh-so-easy for them to walk away and to get a big upfront pay day from some other clubs that will play them.

On a slight side note.

Do we know how he's getting on with the step up to first team training? Palmer was there a good few months before he got a start, McAtee has been called up about 2/3 weeks now.

I know Cancelo name check him, but have there been any club info/reports on how he handling it?
McAtee has been there a lot longer than that. He was originally called up around last January, and since then has only really dropped down to EDS for training the odd time.

Pep seemed to want to “respect the competition” against Leipzig, but doesn’t seem to have the same problem with the Carabao or FA Cups?

It was a dead rubber and he should have played at least a couple of “kids” (namely Palmer & McAtee), even if he subbed them after 60 mins!

In addition, with 5 subs available, he could have given 10-20 mins to a couple of the others on the bench.

For me, it’s simple pigheadedness that ignores the bigger picture of club development.

One looks over at United playing the kids and even putting on Charlie Savage at 89 minutes. The papers are all over it and even have stats for his cameo.

It does the CLUB no good to not give maximum “on the field” exposure to these “on the threshold” players. It would only take a small injury to João and/or Zin in late February and we would be playing Stones and Ake at RB & LB, respectively!

I’m sure the young lads felt like it was a magnificent experience traveling with the team and learning to understand the different rhythms of life on the road in Europe. Indeed, even the experience gained from being in a CL dressing room was valuable.

All that said, that’s nothing compared to getting a sweaty shirt and your boots dirty on the field.

Pep missed a chance (AGAIN) and we still lost. Worse yet, we lost our first choice RB for the away game in the Round of 16.

One hopes players like McAtee can “see” their future here, because it would be oh-so-easy for them to walk away and to get a big upfront pay day from some other clubs that will play them.

Yeah that was my thinking but It’s all about fitness of players so they are not prone to getting injuries in the long run so if you don’t play one game you have to play the next one.

Even from a pure business perspective. The odd lot will point out that some of the teenagers who got four minutes the other night have “Champions League experience” when they eventually offload them to Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Wigan etc.
That will add an extra £1m or £2m to their transfer fees.
Meanwhile we give our far superior kids away for absolutely fuck all, but with a 30% sell on clause - which is easily divertable with some temporary ‘parking’ and clever accounting.
Eg Frimpong, now a target for Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle etc

c

clearly not if Pep has anything to say about. Rangnick in 2 games has shown more interest in developing young talent than Pep has in 5 years, Foden excluded.
Rangnick may have felt the younger players could hardly be worse than what went before and might follow his instructions more precisely than the established players. He didn't have much to lose.

"For me, it’s simple pigheadedness that ignores the bigger picture of club development."
Seriously ?? that's the legacy you see Pep having. Just because you disagree with his decisions. He doesn't see "the bigger picture", doesn't have the insight you/we have, he's done a real good job of fooling the football world then, especially those employers who pay him not to develop their club.

"For me, it’s simple pigheadedness that ignores the bigger picture of club development."
Seriously ?? that's the legacy you see Pep having. Just because you disagree with his decisions. He doesn't see "the bigger picture", doesn't have the insight you/we have, he's done a real good job of fooling the football world then, especially those employers who pay him not to develop their club.

"One looks over at United playing the kids and even putting on Charlie Savage at 89 minutes. The papers are all over it and even have stats for his cameo."

That's the part which made me laugh. Yeah, let's throw in Joey fucking Barton's kid so we can get a few articles in the tabloids.

Some blues are still so jealous of the attention united get and think we should copy them in order to get the same coverage. Sorry, ain't happening. There's currently an article on the BBC about Zidane Iqbal purely because the kid's parents are from South Asia and, more importantly, he plays for united so it's obviously an opportunity to act like they're a progressive club.

It's what they do. They're a PR club and there are that many utter divs following them that the BBC could get an exclusive interview with Harry Maguire's morning shit and they'll believe it's the first time anyone's ever taken a dump.

This is before we get into the fact that they're fucking shite. Every time they turn to shite they end up playing a bunch of kids as a desperate means to find solutions outside of dropping £90m on some fucking tart with an £80m hairdo.

Christ alive, imagine looking at that bloated carcass down the road and licking your lips in anticipation simply because you can see the maggots moving.

Even from a pure business perspective. The odd lot will point out that some of the teenagers who got four minutes the other night have “Champions League experience” when they eventually offload them to Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Wigan etc.
That will add an extra £1m or £2m to their transfer fees.
Meanwhile we give our far superior kids away for absolutely fuck all, but with a 30% sell on clause - which is easily divertable with some temporary ‘parking’ and clever accounting.
Eg Frimpong, now a target for Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle etc
Yeah I made that exact point before the game that the £2.5m loss of revenue even if we lost the game would be more than covered in kudos for the Academy.

c

clearly not if Pep has anything to say about. Rangnick in 2 games has shown more interest in developing young talent than Pep has in 5 years, Foden excluded.
I know it's a cynical view but I'm almost certain that Rangnick played a load of kids this week as a way to try and get fans on side instead of believing they're all going to be starters for United in the future

I know it's a cynical view but I'm almost certain that Rangnick played a load of kids this week as a way to try and get fans on side instead of believing they're all going to be starters for United in the future
don't really care about the motive, they played, whilst we put doubts in our kids minds because they don't even get thrown a freebie as an opportunity to prove themselves in-game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.