James Milner

JoeMercer'sWay said:
He is that guy though, you get asked to pick an XI and one way or the other he doesn't turn up in it.

Personally I think Barry's done and Milner should be blooded in his position.

I think he'd get in most people's "away" XI at the expense of one of Sami or David depending on who's more out of form. As I said earlier in the thread, horses for courses in the same way Nani/Valencia/Young are rotated at the rags.

I agree that long term I see him as Barry's replacement, with the added bonus of him being much more capable of playing box to box. I think the reason he's struggled to cement a place in centre mid is because he isn't as good as Barry at playing the role of the deepest lying central midfield player in Mancini's system, and he isn't as good as Yaya at playing box to box (but then who in the world is right now).

BillyShears said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
He is that guy though, you get asked to pick an XI and one way or the other he doesn't turn up in it.

I think he'd get in most people's "away" XI at the expense of one of Sami or David depending on who's more out of form. As I said earlier in the thread, horses for courses in the same way Nani/Valencia/Young are rotated at the rags.

I agree that long term I see him as Barry's replacement, with the added bonus of him being much more capable of playing box to box. I think the reason he's struggled to cement a place in centre mid is because he isn't as good as Barry at playing the role of the deepest lying central midfield player in Mancini's system, and he isn't as good as Yaya at playing box to box (but then who in the world is right now).

The fact that he didn't replace Silva in the starting 11 against Stoke, makes me believe this management team just don't get it. Is it Bob? Is Silva undroppable? It will cost us dearly, unless we start picking the right team, for the right match, be it home or away.

BillyShears said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

Box to box, deep lying midfielder Milner can do all these things but unfortunately not up to the standard we need, so I think will always be utilized in various positions, Jack of all master of none imo.

lastmanback said:
Box to box, deep lying midfielder Milner can do all these things but unfortunately not up to the standard we need, so I think will always be utilized in various positions, Jack of all master of none imo.

Yes, but what he has over others is that he will run all day, will make challenges that some of our other midfielders will hesitate over, and will provide a directness which short of Carlos, we don't have in the squad. So, Jack of all trades yes, but also a master at providing something we lacked against Stoke and have lacked a few times this season IMO.

I said this in another thread but I think sometimes we get offended when teams don't stand off us and let us play our pretty passing football. The great premiership winning teams down the years have all been able to play when required, but mix it up and dominate a physical team when required too.

GStar said:
BlueGun said:
Mikey77 said:
Was watching the 6-1 highlights last night and Milner was sensational in that match!! Can cross pass and lots of grit and determination!! Why he is not played more is beyond me!! England's best midfielder!

That would be Jack Wilshere.

That would be a ridiculous opinion.

So which England midfielder is better than a fully fit Wilshere?

BlueGun said:
GStar said:
BlueGun said:
That would be Jack Wilshere.

That would be a ridiculous opinion.

So which England midfielder is better than a fully fit Wilshere?

Should that not read, "which England midfielders are better than a fully fit Wilshere?". Feel free to compile a list, I'll begin with Barry and Milner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.