James Milner

daxman said:
willy eckerslike said:
I had him as player of the season last year. Always puts in a full shift and as an Englishman, has a harder job to keep his place over the expensive foreigners the manager has to play to justify buying them or avoid bruising egos.

Doesn't get as many crosses in as I would like, but when he does they can be wicked.
Or it could just be that those expensive foreigners are better. Call me silly, but I'd take Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandihno, Navas, Jovetic and Nasri on their day over Milner. They are simply better footballers.

Playing them ahead of Milner is not justifying egos, it is being smart.

Milner will get his fair share of games for being hardworking, dedicated, and a pro's pro. But he simply is not as talented as the aforementioned.
He doesn't have to be the most talented, Dax, and no one is pretending he is...

Like the Kuyts, Großkreutz, etc of the world, their workrates complimented by better players is an invaluable asset to a team.

Milner is team player and he boost up team spirit and unity. Those qualities can be more than useful to City especially if we think about some players who's game is little bit selfish. He can have positive influence on them.

From "wasted cash" to "important player", this guy has improved in strides.

And I wished this was official: <a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/BoringMilner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/BoringMilner</a>

daxman said:
willy eckerslike said:
I had him as player of the season last year. Always puts in a full shift and as an Englishman, has a harder job to keep his place over the expensive foreigners the manager has to play to justify buying them or avoid bruising egos.

Doesn't get as many crosses in as I would like, but when he does they can be wicked.
Or it could just be that those expensive foreigners are better. Call me silly, but I'd take Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandihno, Navas, Jovetic and Nasri on their day over Milner. They are simply better footballers.

Milner will get his fair share of games for being hardworking, dedicated, and a pro's pro. But he simply is not as talented as the aforementioned.

Work ethic aside here; We don't know enough about Fernandinho, Navas or Jovetic yet, but like you mentioned, they do look to be top players. However, are any of them as versatile, as professional, or as loyal as Jimmy? Only time will tell. It's been proven, David Silva cannot, and will not defend, Yaya can be a frustrating lazy player at times; I like Nasri, but you can't compare him to Milner. Along with Zaba, James Milner would always be one of the first names on my team sheet. Now bring his work ethic back into the equasion: The lad's priceless.

George Hannah said:
Not even on the bench last night . Was he injured or being saved for Chelsea or what? Has Pellegrini been asked why he didn't feature - the game was crying out for him at half time?

Got to be injured I think, Pellegrini has picked him in every squad so far and last night would have been ideal for him.

daxman said:
willy eckerslike said:

It's a fair point you make but football's a team game and Jimmy's qualities(including being able to play in various roles) means IMO he should be getting as many games as Fernandinho,Navas, Jovetic and Nasri.

I found this comment made earlier to be quite illuminating:

"Call me silly, but I'd take Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandihno, Navas, Jovetic and Nasri on their day over Milner. They are simply better footballers."

Probably true but the key words are "on their day" Of course Yaya and Silva on their day i.e when they play very well are worth their spot but that would be true when compared to basically anyone in the premier league at any club. Maybe those 2 are poor examples as they are very special but when it comes to Navas ( who let's face it has done nothing special yet) and even Nasri I think the decision is not so easy.

Yes maybe at their best they are more matchwinners than Milner but how many matchwinning games do they have? Milner is a much more consistent player without a doubt and I also think he plays brilliantly with Yaya and Silva.His movement off the ball when they are around is top notch.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
I found this comment made earlier to be quite illuminating:

"Call me silly, but I'd take Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandihno, Navas, Jovetic and Nasri on their day over Milner. They are simply better footballers."

Probably true but the key words are "on their day" Of course Yaya and Silva on their day i.e when they play very well are worth their spot but that would be true when compared to basically anyone in the premier league at any club. Maybe those 2 are poor examples as they are very special but when it comes to Navas ( who let's face it has done nothing special yet) and even Nasri I think the decision is not so easy.

Yes maybe at their best they are more matchwinners than Milner but how many matchwinning games do they have? Milner is a much more consistent player without a doubt and I also think he plays brilliantly with Yaya and Silva.His movement off the ball when they are around is top notch.

Milner is a great player when he doesn't have the ball

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.