James Milner

Santiago Street . said:
sh249 said:

I'd agree that he's been underused - but the same is arguably true of all our 'back-up' players. It said something on the BBC website the other week about us having used fewer players this season than any other club. If that's right, and factoring in the additional games we've had in the various cup competitions, it's no real surprise that half the team looked they were running through treacle in the first half on Sunday.

Part of the problem - and it was exactly the same under Mancini, too - is the system. Milner isn't quite good enough to play in the centre of midfield as part of a two (neither are Garcia and Rodwell, really, not without a noticeable drop off in the quality of our game - hence why they only play when necessary - i.e. when Yaya or Fernandinho are injured). He's then battling it out with Nasri, Navas and Jovetic (given that Silva obviously has to play) for one of the more advanced midfield positions, and Pellegrini appears to prefer them as more attacking threats. Can't ever really see it changing.

We do seem to under rotate our central mid players. Yaya is rested so infrequently that I wonder if he has a clause in his contract guaranteeing him a starting spot in games.

To me it's just that he and Fernandinho are really the only two that can play in there - as a two - the way that Pellegrini wants us to play. Given that we went for Fernando in January, it seems clear we'll be in for a new midfielder in the summer - but it will be hard to find one who will, essentially, need to be as good as those two to rotate effectively.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to use a proper three man midfield more regularly - especially if Yaya or Fernandinho are out or need resting. In that system, I think Garcia, Rodwell and Milner could all slot in relatively easily and be used far more regularly. The three of them even played together in midfield against Chelsea at home last season, I think, and were excellent. I think Nasri could also play in a three. Would certainly give us more options and make us less reliant on Yaya and Fernandinho having to play every match

He should definitely start whenever you're facing the lower teams where lethargy can creep in. The other guys see his work-rate and it must have an effect on them. I feel bad saying that because he's a fantastic player in his own right, and has shown that he can be the difference when facing tough opposition too.

Milner's close control isn't quite good enough to play the close passing triangles that Yaya Ferna et al indulge in but if he was part of a central 3 as you suggest then he could rove forward which he's better suited for imo.

I still think we badly miss Barry on occasion. If Yaya or Fern are out Barry would be next in line for me. I think Rodwell's out of his depth at City

Just don't get why he isn't a regular especially away from home. He is equally as effective (if not more) going forward than Navas and offers much more defensively.

Navas just hasn't turned up in bug games away from home yet Milner has often changed the game for us when we are struggling. Despite being English and looking a little awkward on the ball he is very effective. Also he works very well with Silva as he makes the runs Silva wants him to instinctively.

Santiago Street . said:
Milner's close control isn't quite good enough to play the close passing triangles that Yaya Ferna et al indulge in but if he was part of a central 3 as you suggest then he could rove forward which he's better suited for imo.

I still think we badly miss Barry on occasion. If Yaya or Fern are out Barry would be next in line for me. I think Rodwell's out of his depth at City

Definitely agree with the first part. Perhaps with the second - I'm a big fan of Barry, but I'm not sure he's tailor-made for the role as a bit-part player filling in now and again - whenever he'd been out for any period of time, he always seemed rusty as fuck to me for the first game back! Think he probably needs regular games to maintain his level. With Rodwell - we've still seen so little of him, I'm reluctant to say we should definitely get shot of him, and he did look good on a couple of occasions at the back end of last season. I think he would probably benefit from playing in a three as well, with the licence to get about the pitch with a Fernandinho as the deepest midfielder.

Cry Me A Weaver said:
Just don't get why he isn't a regular especially away from home. He is equally as effective (if not more) going forward than Navas and offers much more defensively.

Navas just hasn't turned up in bug games away from home yet Milner has often changed the game for us when we are struggling. Despite being English and looking a little awkward on the ball he is very effective. Also he works very well with Silva as he makes the runs Silva wants him to instinctively.

Disagree about Navas in away games as he has done very well in some of these games.......for example, in the first half against United at Old Trafford he tore their defence to shreds and scared them to death.

br62 said:
Cry Me A Weaver said:

Disagree about Navas in away games as he has done very well in some of these games.......for example, in the first half against United at Old Trafford he tore their defence to shreds and scared them to death.
Yes; but what about against decent, difficult to break down opponents?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.