James Milner

A useful squad player to have but not quite good enough to become a regular.

BigOscar said:
He needs much more space than our technically better players, against better side you get that as they actually attack you, but against teams sitting back he just doesn't look good enough at all. All his best games have been against the better sides, I can't recall too many good performances against lesser sides. Great for pressing other teams defenders on the ball, great for breaks or for making runs in behind fullbacks, but if the space isn't there then he really struggles

Can you give an example other than yesterday of a bad game he's had? I can't think of one Generally he is very solid and on the right occasion, he is outstanding.

BigOscar said:
He needs much more space than our technically better players, against better side you get that as they actually attack you, but against teams sitting back he just doesn't look good enough at all. All his best games have been against the better sides, I can't recall too many good performances against lesser sides. Great for pressing other teams defenders on the ball, great for breaks or for making runs in behind fullbacks, but if the space isn't there then he really struggles

Is he our Park Ji-Sung/Dirk Kuyt then?

lasereyes said:
BigOscar said:

Can you give an example other than yesterday of a bad game he's had? I can't think of one Generally he is very solid and on the right occasion, he is outstanding.
Before the second Bayern game, pretty much every game he played this season was awful. Can't remember specifics, but there were some awful cup games from him. He seemed to turn a corner after the Bayern game and improved hugely, until the Norwich game where he was poor again and disrupted the entire team (although he was in his supposed "best position" CM in that game) All the good memories I have of him have been against good teams

BigOscar said:

This is the most insightful post on the thread. My pal said exactly the sane thing to me during the game last night, and you're both absolutely bang on.

Shaelumstash said:
BigOscar said:

This is the most insightful post on the thread. My pal said exactly the sane thing to me during the game last night, and you're both absolutely bang on.

Who are these 'technically better players' then?

stonerblue said:
Shaelumstash said:
BigOscar said:

Is that a serious question?

Jimmy is an excellent player but is far more effective when we play a quicker game. Though Samir is a fantastic retainer of possession, his slight negativity stalls the play and nullifies the benefit of Jimmy's powerful, off the ball running. Silva is more able to pick out Jimmy's runs and Jimmy will always look better with Silva in the team, especially when he is playing out wide.

stonerblue said:
Shaelumstash said:
BigOscar said:

Take a wild guess.

One of our players who gives the ball a way with too much regularity.

Our most culpable players for giving the ball away for absolutely no reason, in no particular order are

milner
lescott
kolarov
clichy
dzeko
richards

navas is borderline

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.