James Milner

Mostly in his usual position on the right. Seemed like he and Nasri swapped a bit on a few occasions, and he ended up out on the left due to natural course of play, but he was essentially playing his typical position for us as an outside midfielder/winger type. Although a convincing argument could be made that he was playing as Sunderland's best defender.

Esteban de la Sexface said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Esteban de la Sexface said:
he keeps it more often than not. The ones he gives away are 50-50. Headers and challenges. He can receive the ball the majority of the time and recycle it. The ones I've mentioned cannot, on occasion.

He gave it away more than anyone on Wednesday.

Milner did.

I love football - we both watched the same game, yet I though Negredo was actually ok. Sergio gave it away more than Negredo I thought.

At one stage Sergio just booted it into touch and stood there perplexed! :)

When Negredo was subbed, a caption popped up on the big screen very briefly. It showed that Negredo made 8 successful passes during the game, giving him a pass completion of something like 29%. That is awful!

BigOscar said:
lasereyes said:
BigOscar said:
He needs much more space than our technically better players, against better side you get that as they actually attack you, but against teams sitting back he just doesn't look good enough at all. All his best games have been against the better sides, I can't recall too many good performances against lesser sides. Great for pressing other teams defenders on the ball, great for breaks or for making runs in behind fullbacks, but if the space isn't there then he really struggles

Can you give an example other than yesterday of a bad game he's had? I can't think of one Generally he is very solid and on the right occasion, he is outstanding.
Before the second Bayern game, pretty much every game he played this season was awful. Can't remember specifics, but there were some awful cup games from him. He seemed to turn a corner after the Bayern game and improved hugely, until the Norwich game where he was poor again and disrupted the entire team (although he was in his supposed "best position" CM in that game) All the good memories I have of him have been against good teams

"Can't remember specifics" is telling, bud. If he was "awful in pretty much every game", you would remember specifics. We all remember exactly why Joe Hart was dropped and why Dzeko has been an object of derision. Truth is Milner has had a solid game virtually every time he has featured and Wed was an outlier - but he was hardly alone.

teddykgb said:
Mostly in his usual position on the right. Seemed like he and Nasri swapped a bit on a few occasions, and he ended up out on the left due to natural course of play, but he was essentially playing his typical position for us as an outside midfielder/winger type. Although a convincing argument could be made that he was playing as Sunderland's best defender.

As i said before i didn't watch the game so i don't know how he played.

Anyway so everyone is condemning Milner and saying we should sell him based on the fact he had a shite game on the right side of the pitch. Even though we all know that he's ten times the player when he plays on the left and distinctly average at best when played on the right.

OK

grim up north said:
stonerblue said:
Shaelumstash said:
This is the most insightful post on the thread. My pal said exactly the sane thing to me during the game last night, and you're both absolutely bang on.

Who are these 'technically better players' then?

Is that a serious question?

I laughed at that. I mean, who is NOT technically better? Lescott? Kolarov, possibly. /End of list.

I like Jimmie for his professionalism, commitment, workrate. He's a decent utility player who can be very good on his day. But he his a bit of a donkey tbf.

And he had an absolute stinker on Sunday. Truly truly awful. Shockingly awful.

lasereyes said:
BigOscar said:
lasereyes said:
Can you give an example other than yesterday of a bad game he's had? I can't think of one Generally he is very solid and on the right occasion, he is outstanding.
Before the second Bayern game, pretty much every game he played this season was awful. Can't remember specifics, but there were some awful cup games from him. He seemed to turn a corner after the Bayern game and improved hugely, until the Norwich game where he was poor again and disrupted the entire team (although he was in his supposed "best position" CM in that game) All the good memories I have of him have been against good teams

"Can't remember specifics" is telling, bud. If he was "awful in pretty much every game", you would remember specifics. We all remember exactly why Joe Hart was dropped and why Dzeko has been an object of derision. Truth is Milner has had a solid game virtually every time he has featured and Wed was an outlier - but he was hardly alone.
A goalkeeping error is obviously a lot more memorable than a winger just playing really badly. Fine, you've made me actually look up the games to see what games I'm thinking of, as there was a lot of frustration with him from a build up of poor performances. Here we go, games Milner started before the second Munich game

Stoke away 0-0
Villa away 2-3 (he as awful)
Everton home 3-1
Newcastle 2-0 aet (he was an absolute atrocity in normal time, along with a few others)
Sunderland 0-1 (almost as bad as he was the other night, with added defensive mistake to give them their goal)
Plzen home 4-2

Chippy_boy said:
grim up north said:
stonerblue said:

I laughed at that. I mean, who is NOT technically better? Lescott? Kolarov, possibly. /End of list.

I like Jimmie for his professionalism, commitment, workrate. He's a decent utility player who can be very good on his day. But he his a bit of a donkey tbf.

And he had an absolute stinker on Sunday. Truly awful in every way.

I don't know what you even mean by "technically better". It;s a cliche that seems to be rolled out whenever someone wants to criticize Milner, but can't cite specifics. Milner is an excellent fit for our squad - extremely consistent, industrious, creative - and a proven performer in big games. Compare someone like Nasri who is creative, but none of the others.

Chippy_boy said:
grim up north said:
stonerblue said:

And he had an absolute stinker on Sunday. Truly truly awful. Shockingly awful.

Milner was shit against Liverpool ?

Milner tends to perform better when he is playing in a midfield alongside Nasri, Silva, and Toure. At that time, the weight of expectation on him is lifted and the others create space and pressure on defenders which provides him with time to perform. When the midfield contains players of a poorer quality, Milner is then expected to be more than he is- a disciplined and solid right-midfielder- and, consequently, this thread grows by a few pages.

BigOscar said:
lasereyes said:
BigOscar said:

A goalkeeping error is obviously a lot more memorable than a winger just playing really badly. Fine, you've made me actually look up the games to see what games I'm thinking of, as there was a lot of frustration with him from a build up of poor performances. Here we go, games Milner started before the second Munich game

Stoke away 0-0
Villa away 2-3 (he as awful)
Everton home 3-1
Newcastle 2-0 aet (he was an absolute atrocity in normal time, along with a few others)
Sunderland 0-1 (almost as bad as he was the other night, with added defensive mistake to give them their goal)
Plzen home 4-2

Sunderland game: he was fouled in the build up to their goal - no defensive mistake
Everton - you must have watched a different game. He was lively throughout and restricted Baines very effectively
Plzen - as Everton
Newcastle (league cup) - once he switched to central midfield (which i think is his best position), he was very effective and directly set up Dzeko's goal that won us the tie.
Villa and Stoke - I don't especially remember Milner's performance, so I will accept that he was not especially effective.

You also cited the Norwich game, where i remember Milner being one of our better players. Just to be sure, I cross checked with MEN and their assessment was "MILNER: Produced some fine work in his favoured central midfield position, solid and creative. 7"

So 5 out of 7 of the supposed stinkers you cited, I think you are flat-out wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.