January defenders

Getting Upemecano for £40m could be possible due to his contract situation. Would be very good signing IMO. Otamendi would have to go to make room.

I think that's a lot personally.
Yeah it's a lot but he's definitely got world class potential from what i've seen of him. All the tools to succeed in the prem: Strong, aggressive, very fast and excellent distrubution. Only thing is that he's currently playing LCB, but as he's right footed he could probably succeed at RCB as well.

No, no they wouldn't. A good few would because it's the typical British stereotype of a big meathead centre back who can head it and kick it but the games completely different, we're completely different and what it takes to be a good centre back is completely different. Fernandinho is proving that right this very second; he's got the intelligence, pace and agility to play the position how we want him to play it. There's not a centre back around certainly in this country (Laporte and VVD excluded) who comes close to him.

The way we play restricts opponents to quick counter attacks, we concede very few headed goals from open play and very few from set pieces because we stop it at source. You can only do that if you've got centre backs who can play on the front foot and theres not many with that capability.

Agree with that, though he’s increasingly having to compensate for his drop in pace by adopting deeper positions. We desperately need a defender who is not only as technically proficient but also frighteningly fast over the turf.

Agree with that, though he’s increasingly having to compensate for his drop in pace by adopting deeper positions. We desperately need a defender who is not only as technically proficient but also frighteningly fast over the turf.
Good luck with that, even if that player did exist (which he doesn't), we couldn't afford him due to FFP. It would be similar to the Mbappe situation, who even Real Madrid and their corrupt accountants can't afford.

You've got to compromise, I'd love a quicker version of Rodri but one doesn't exist. It's the same with looking for a new centre back, you occasionally hit the jackpot (Laporte) but even he isn't what you could describe as "frightening fast". His reading of the game and positioning more than makes up for it though, I'm hoping the same is true of Garcia long term but you just never know.

Good luck with that, even if that player did exist (which he doesn't), we couldn't afford him due to FFP. It would be similar to the Mbappe situation, who even Real Madrid and their corrupt accountants can't afford.

You've got to compromise, I'd love a quicker version of Rodri but one doesn't exist. It's the same with looking for a new centre back, you occasionally hit the jackpot (Laporte) but even he isn't what you could describe as "frightening fast". His reading of the game and positioning more than makes up for it though, I'm hoping the same is true of Garcia long term but you just never know.

Alternatively, you look for a midfielder who is capable of dropping back and learning the position. If Guardiola is staying, that would make greater sense than paying an extortionate fee for a defender who doesn't quite have the required attributes.

Alternatively, you look for a midfielder who is capable of dropping back and learning the position. If Guardiola is staying, that would make greater sense than paying an extortionate fee for a defender who doesn't quite have the required attributes.
Zakaria at Mönchengladbach har recently been playing CB and he's as fast as they come, strong as well.

Laporte is quite fast. And this Upemacano kid also is. Sooooo.....

Laporte is quite fast. And this Upemacano kid also is. Sooooo.....
Laporte is not fast, he's not slow either but just compare him to the rest of our squad as an example and he's not in the top 10 (Walker, Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Bernardo, Cancelo, Foden, Fernandinho and possibly even Mendy, Angelino and Jesus).

Thankfully he's a top class centre back who I wouldn't swap for anyone, including Van Dijk, it just proves that outright pace isn't a necessity as long as you've got the tactical intelligence to play our system. Hence why I stated originally people place way too much emphasis on straight line pace and height in most cases.

Upamecano is a very quick and built like a tank, it doesn't mean he can defend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.