January transfer window

Andouble said:
is Cabaye really good enough?

As cover for our main two,or as the third when more solidity is required,i don't think we'd do a great deal better as far as the balance between ability and game time is concerned.
He is also Prem proven and acclimatised.

J3SUS said:
Dzeko has to go IMO. Negredo makes him look average at best. Sell dzeko and bring in the Nigerian lad and/or let guidette step up.

Vidal for CM would be a good but for the money, although he would cost 35-40 m he would allow yaya important rest and would add a whole new dynamic in an already solid midfield.
No chance

To be the best you have to buy the best.

INS

Casillas
Juan Fran
Garay
Moreano
Xabi Alonso
Griezmann

Hart
Lescott
Richards
Kolarov
Rodwell
Dzeko

VIVA ESPANA!!!

Keep Garcia only to help the newbies settle in.

Dax777 said:
5 key issues
GK
LB
CB
CM
Sale

We are vulnerable at these 4 positions.
Gk: I'll take a wait and see approach, then decide in the summer.

Lb: probably a summer decision too. Kolarov is improved, but Clichy has regressed. So rather than getting an improved backup we might be needing a superior starter.

CB: if Kompany comes back healthy and plays out the season (unlikely), I'd like us to table this until the summer too. We need a starting caliber CB, I don't have one right now, but there will be enough to look at come summer.

CM: needs immediate attention. Yaya and Dihno'S are being worked to the ground. Yaya especially is too old to be played this much. But the drop off after those 2 is humongous. My choice ( Yohan Cabaye). Perfect CM to join the fold. Can play all 3 positions and is solid all round. If he is our only January signing, I'll be delighted.

Sale:
this is a bit sad for me because I'd be advocating the sale of players I have always stood up for. But practically this are the best decisions to make.
1. City does not need nor should it carry 4 strikers. Currently it does, so one has to go. Dzeko is the clear choice. Good player, wants to be the starter. Wouldn't happen here, and we have too many strikers. Time to make the decision and cut ties. Aguero, Negredo and jovetic can handle the load.
2. Garcia: unlike most, I don think he is a bad player. Don't even agree he is the worst on our squad. But if we have to improve our CM position by bringing in the non English Quota Cabaye, then another non-English guy has to go.
3. The other reason why Garcia has to go, is coz Lescott has to go too. And if Lescott has to go then Rodwell must stay..

I am not a big fan of injury prone players, but we seem to have one at every position. And that frankly is too many, and we should look at reducing the injury prone in our ranks. But that's a discussion for another day.
The only 2relatively stable positions are LB and GK. all the other position has a consistently injured player on board

I'd hope we can pick up Cabaye for relative peanuts, but I would worry he would become another Garcia type signing. Potentially very prudent if we could nab him in January, but then standing in the way of a top class centre half signing in the summer (I'd love to know what the club are doing on this front if anyone has any tidbits, because next summer I think we should be looking at a player to take over from the big man, and that means nothing short of top shelf quality required).

FWIW I don't think we'll be dipping in at all in January barring a serious injury to someone critical. If we lose Fernandinho for the season, we'll buy. If we lost Yaya for the season, we'll buy, etc. Someone to take the strain off those two would obviously be nice but as per my point above, if it stood in the way of plans next summer I'd rather just soldier on.

Hart
Lescott
Richards
Kolarov
Rodwell
Dzeko

If you got rid of those players, that includes 4 of the English quota.
Bringing in:

Casillas
Juan Fran
Garay
Moreano
Xabi Alonso
Griezmann

as you suggest, will add nothing to the required English players needed for the squad

I really don't think buying a Gk should be one of the priorities certainly not in Jan transfer window,pants is criminaly underrated by many,and as per joe he is quality and certainly deserves a chance for redemption,a quality cd along with a cmd should b our only concerns for now

Positions that need improving:

LB: Clichy is poor offensively, Kolarov is poor defensively so we need one who covers both bases. One of Clichy/Kolarov out. Luke Shaw, Leighton Baines or perhaps Felipe Luis in. This can probably wait until January though.

CB: Tough one, do we try for a youngster with potential (a la Nastasic) or for proven talent. I'd say we should go for a proven top class defender. Lescott out, Vertonghen/Pepe/Chiellini or someone of that ilk in.

CM: Important position this one, we really need someone who can both cover and compete with Ferna and Yaya. Garcia out, Alex Song or Cabaye in.

Also, the goalkeeper situation may require a transfer if Hart can't rediscover some good form. Also, Dzeko may have to be replaced if he moves on, same with Richards.

I'd say that the only one that needs addressing in January is CM, but a Cb wood also be useful for the rest of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.