January window

I cant help but think that maybe the Phillips situation may deter a few players who we might have looked at. Pep has publicly outed him several times, a few times for basically not being Rodri and lets be honest, anyone we sign at best is second choice. Sure, they may just fancy a pay bump and hopefully pick up some medals but the sales pitch from Txiki perhaps may not be as appealing to the likes of Palinha who can walk into the Bayern midfield.
Nah to reach the top of any sport, you've gotta have some arrogance and self-belief to back yourself no matter the opportunity. Those than can make it under Pep will still jump at the chance i think.

Like F1 they all think they are the best driver if they had the best car.

We had little choice with Luiz as we couldn't register him, so selling him to Villa with a buy back clause was best all round.

However, Villa were struggling & we had Fernandinho & an emerging Rodri at the time, so didn't exercise the option in 2021.
We'd also taken Grealish from Villa in 2021 so stripping them of Luiz as well would have been doubly cruel. Luiz was always going to be a top player, but our loyalty to senior players and inability to convince potential targets of natural squad progression is a double-edged sword.

if we let Phillips leave and dont bring someone in it would be extremely poor from the club imo.
Really? There seems to be little point bringing anyone in unless Guardiola can 'visualise' them playing, and there will be precious few such players available in January.

Really? There seems to be little point bringing anyone in unless Guardiola can 'visualise' them playing, and there will be precious few such players available in January.

i think its vital we do it mate as we see how the team falls apart in the DM area when Rodri isnt available? We have been SO lucky he has stayed injury free for so long but he looks tired already and Phillips was meant to be the option to rest/rotate with Rodri but it just hasnt worked out?

We'd also taken Grealish from Villa in 2021 so stripping them of Luiz as well would have been doubly cruel. Luiz was always going to be a top player, but our loyalty to senior players and inability to convince potential targets of natural squad progression is a double-edged sword.
I think we've made it as clear as possible that we want Cancelo & Philips gone.

I didn't hold out much hope for Nunes when we went in for him, & still don't. Imo he was just an uncharacteristic panic buy to bolster squad numbers because Paqueta fell through. Unless he's moved to a more defensive midfield position, I think he could be our next short-lived departure like Philips.

Talking of Paqueta, did you see the warm greeting he gave to our bench prior to kickoff when we played WHU? It spoke volumes of a player gutted he didn't get his move, but hoping to ressurect it at the earliest opportunity.

He's a better fit for us as a Gundog replacement than Kovacic, & definitely Nunes.

i think its vital we do it mate as we see how the team falls apart in the DM area when Rodri isnt available? We have been SO lucky he has stayed injury free for so long but he looks tired already and Phillips was meant to be the option to rest/rotate with Rodri but it just hasnt worked out?
I agree that it's important but I just don't see there being any viable candidates. Rodri can probably get through the season if we return to the formation and type of play we showed at Luton, but he won't if we go back to playing at the sound of the trumpets again. Maybe they'll drop de Bruyne back in there in some games once he has got his legs back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.