Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see this game but the BBC report makes for good reading:

Celtic battled stoically in the San Siro before succumbing to a stunning late strike from Inter's Fredy Guarin.

Any chance the Scottish champions had of progressing looked to have been extinguished when Virgil van Dijk was shown a first-half red card.

But Celtic did not crumble and remained in the tie until Guarin's fine finish.

Despite the disappointment of their exit, Ronny Deila can take comfort from his side's ability to compete with the Milanese over two legs.

Celtic's Jason Denayer and Nir Bitton were defensively outstanding as Celtic spent most of the second half camped around their own box.

But neither they nor keeper Craig Gordon could resist Guarin's blistering drive from 22 yards.

Celtic's most famous victory on foreign soil was against Inter Milan in the 1967 European Cup final and hopes of a first win on Italian soil were high before Van Dijk's sending off.

However, there was a first-minute scare when the Dutchman allowed Mauro Icardi in behind him, only for the striker to scuff his shot at Gordon.

In an open, end-to-end first half Gary Mackay-Steven had Celtic's best opportunity but struck his shot straight at Inter keeper Juan Pablo Carrizo.

Two Celtic penalty claims went unheeded by Slovakian referee Ivan Kruzliak, who took a harder line as Van Dijk caught Rodrigo Palacio from behind and shortly afterwards picked up a second booking for a foul on Icardi.

That changed the balance of the match, with Celtic forced largely onto the defensive as centre-half Denayer blocked Xherdan Shaqiri's goalbound shot and Gordon kept out Danilo D'Ambrosio on the rebound.

The Celtic goalkeeper also made an absolutely stunning one-handed save to claw away Mauro Icardi's header from a free-kick moments after Van Dijk's dismissal.

Celtic's organisation and stout defending meant the goalkeeper was largely unworked after the break until having to pick Guarin's shot out of the net, the moment the tie was sealed.

Very impressed with him last night, especially in the immediate aftermath of VVDs sending off, where he took the lead and marshalled the defence.
Needs to be an involved member of our first team squad next season, he's streets ahead of Boyata.

aguero93:20 said:
Very impressed with him last night, especially in the immediate aftermath of VVDs sending off, where he took the lead and marshalled the defence.
Needs to be an involved member of our first team squad next season, he's streets ahead of Boyata.
That's what I saw too, he took control and was ordering people who to pick up on. Pretty impressive for a young lad, I would love to see him in a game as a DM and see how he can shape the game.

I actually thought he did more defending in the home leg.

But if at 19, he can get through 90 mins in the San Siro in a side full of journeymen, down to ten men,& come out of it having done little wrong, he must at least have a chance of playing in City's team at some point surely ?

And there were several instances which pointed toward the def mid role we have talked about.

The confidence he showed, to sidestep a few challenges in his own box & play a perfect pass, right at the death, augurs well for his future, whatever position he plays.

To be honest, I thought Inter looked a pretty poor attacking outfit and were pretty much there for the taking, but after Van Dijk got sent off there was a nervy 10 minutes untill halftime when Denayer was excellent. After halftime, he had surprisingly little to do. Even Efe Ambrose managed to look pretty comfortable, which is a pretty damning indictment of Inter's attacking threat. Denayer didn't look out of place at all though, which is excellent.

BigOscar said:
To be honest, I thought Inter looked a pretty poor attacking outfit and were pretty much there for the taking, but after Van Dijk got sent off there was a nervy 10 minutes untill halftime when Denayer was excellent. After halftime, he had surprisingly little to do. Even Efe Ambrose managed to look pretty comfortable, which is a pretty damning indictment of Inter's attacking threat. Denayer didn't look out of place at all though, which is excellent.

I recon Inter would be a better side with him in it.

Neville Kneville said:
BigOscar said:

I recon Inter would be a better side with him in it.
Inter play Rannochia though, so that isn't that hard to improve on! I do agree though, I can see him and Mangala being an excellent long term partnership tbh. I think they'd compliment each others games pretty well.

We have to factor in that he is plying his trade in the SPL and, week on week, will not come up against the top, silky smooth, tricky-dicky CFs, but of all the players who are out on loan, he seems the most composed, and he will have relished the chance of playing better continental sides.

I think he'll get caught out quite a bit at first in the premier league with his slight over exuberance to come out and attack the ball, as he does leave a lot of space in behind himself, but that's why I think Mangala would suit him as a partner, as he does a great job sweeping in behind his partners. I imagine in time he'd get the balance of when to push out and when to stay in line with his partner a bit better, but I think that's one of those things he simply won't learn in Scotland, as no one will take advantage.

Any young defender is going to make mistakes and need to make adjustments, but he looks close enough to the level where we have to just bite the bullet and play him, accepting the fact that he will make mistakes. He at least looks like the right sort of defender for our team, he looks worth the gamble.

BigOscar said:
I think he'll get caught out quite a bit at first in the premier league with his slight over exuberance to come out and attack the ball, as he does leave a lot of space in behind himself, but that's why I think Mangala would suit him as a partner, as he does a great job sweeping in behind his partners. I imagine in time he'd get the balance of when to push out and when to stay in line with his partner a bit better, but I think that's one of those things he simply won't learn in Scotland, as no one will take advantage.

Any young defender is going to make mistakes and need to make adjustments, but he looks close enough to the level where we have to just bite the bullet and play him, accepting the fact that he will make mistakes. He at least looks like the right sort of defender for our team, he looks worth the gamble.

You would expect that he'd get caught out, but the thing is you would also expect him to get caught out loads coming from Scottish football straight into a game v Inter, but it hasn't really happened.

I think it's the big cfs who will cause him the most problems.

I would love to see him just sat behind Yaya Toure in front of VK & Mangala though. I think all 4 of them would benefit from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.