Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neville Kneville said:
BigOscar said:
I think he'll get caught out quite a bit at first in the premier league with his slight over exuberance to come out and attack the ball, as he does leave a lot of space in behind himself, but that's why I think Mangala would suit him as a partner, as he does a great job sweeping in behind his partners. I imagine in time he'd get the balance of when to push out and when to stay in line with his partner a bit better, but I think that's one of those things he simply won't learn in Scotland, as no one will take advantage.

Any young defender is going to make mistakes and need to make adjustments, but he looks close enough to the level where we have to just bite the bullet and play him, accepting the fact that he will make mistakes. He at least looks like the right sort of defender for our team, he looks worth the gamble.

You would expect that he'd get caught out, but the thing is you would also expect him to get caught out loads coming from Scottish football straight into a game v Inter, but it hasn't really happened.

I think it's the big cfs who will cause him the most problems.

I would love to see him just sat behind Yaya Toure in front of VK & Mangala though. I think all 4 of them would benefit from it.
He was caught out a few times with it, but it just didn't result in a goal. There was one in the second half of the second leg where he charged out of the box to close someone down, the ball got moved and then put in behind him, but the guy messed up the header when clear through. You could also argue that Van Dijk's second yellow came about by Denayer being too far up the pitch, but Van Dijk still should have dealt with it better. He is just a bit too keen to break the defensive line imo, he does leave a big hole if teams work it right.

I have to say, I don't share your belief that he'd be a great holding midfielder at all tbh, I don't see it.

BigOscar said:
Neville Kneville said:
BigOscar said:
I think he'll get caught out quite a bit at first in the premier league with his slight over exuberance to come out and attack the ball, as he does leave a lot of space in behind himself, but that's why I think Mangala would suit him as a partner, as he does a great job sweeping in behind his partners. I imagine in time he'd get the balance of when to push out and when to stay in line with his partner a bit better, but I think that's one of those things he simply won't learn in Scotland, as no one will take advantage.

Any young defender is going to make mistakes and need to make adjustments, but he looks close enough to the level where we have to just bite the bullet and play him, accepting the fact that he will make mistakes. He at least looks like the right sort of defender for our team, he looks worth the gamble.

You would expect that he'd get caught out, but the thing is you would also expect him to get caught out loads coming from Scottish football straight into a game v Inter, but it hasn't really happened.

I would love to see him just sat behind Yaya Toure in front of VK & Mangala though. I think all 4 of them would benefit from it.
He was caught out a few times with it, but it just didn't result in a goal. There was one in the second half of the second leg where he charged out of the box to close someone down, the ball got moved and then put in behind him, but the guy messed up the header when clear through. You could also argue that Van Dijk's second yellow came about by Denayer being too far up the pitch, but Van Dijk still should have dealt with it better. He is just a bit too keen to break the defensive line imo, he does leave a big hole if teams work it right.

I have to say, I don't share your belief that he'd be a great holding midfielder at all tbh, I don't see it.
He's doing exactly what Kompany does for us in closing down players quickly before they get a chance to put a pass into the box. Fair enough Kompany's not had a great season by his standards, but nobody complained at him doing it last season.

I can see Denayer doing Fernandhino's job for us, he reads the game very well and seems very athletic and can play football.

ColinLee said:
BigOscar said:
Neville Kneville said:

He's doing exactly what Kompany does for us in closing down players quickly before they get a chance to put a pass into the box. Fair enough Kompany's not had a great season by his standards, but nobody complained at him doing it last season.

I can see Denayer doing Fernandhino's job for us, he reads the game very well and seems very athletic and can play football.

At the moment Van Dijk made the foul, Denayer was back in the defensive line with at least one, maybe two other players. There was no problem whatsoever. It was all in JVD's mind. Demichelis comes out & misses more interceptions in two games than Jason has done in a season. Mistakes happen from time to time.

I don't understand what qualities someone would look for in a def midfielder & not find in Denayer. I can't see what aspect of that game anyone would think he is missing, apart from the experience of doing it for a while.

Neville Kneville said:
ColinLee said:
BigOscar said:

At the moment Van Dijk made the foul, Denayer was back in the defensive line with at least one, maybe two other players. There was no problem whatsoever. It was all in JVD's mind. Demichelis comes out & misses more interceptions in two games than Jason has done in a season. Mistakes happen from time to time.

I don't understand what qualities someone would look for in a def midfielder & not find in Denayer. I can't see what aspect of that game anyone would think he is missing, apart from the experience of doing it for a while.
I think he's literally never played there, meaning he has no experience whatsoever in playing midfield, the increased pressure that comes with that and the positioning required to play there. I don't think there is much evidence to suggest that CB's make good holding midfielders, I can't think of many examples of them moving forward and being much more than cloggers. I can think of a lot more players who've moved backwards than forwards. It's obviously only my opinion, but I think the pressure on the ball in midfield is barely compareable to playing CB and I think it's very hard to know someone can leap from one to the other, even if they do look comfortable at CB. Maybe he could do it, but I doubt the transition would be seemless, you'd want to at least see him play midfield at some level first surely? Or at least play some fullback first

That's what I'm saying. Try him out.

But Denayer is nothing like a typical centre back, fact he's built as a midfield player. People can try to write off some of Denayer's skills on the ball in Scotland, but when he skins two Inter players in his own box & plays a perfectly weighted pass in the last min of a game, it's no fluke.

He's a miles better footballer than Kompany or Demichelis, or DeJong for that matter. I recon he's probably miles better than Milner etc too. His weight of passing is superb. He can beat players, great first touch, he's quick, brilliant at stopping people 1v1, blocking, intercepting. He can't know all the positional stuff straight off or instantly reach his full capacity, of course but he can learn. If Phil Jones can get games there in a title winning side, I'm pretty sure Denayer can come to terms with it.

We would of course have to see if he had the engine to be moving all the time. Same if he played fullback.

Gareth Barry was a fullback who moved inside though & had nowhere near Denayer's ability or athleticism.

Neville Kneville said:
Gareth Barry was a fullback who moved inside though & had nowhere near Denayer's ability or athleticism.
Barry is an interesting example, as I think he actually started as a CB? But then he moved to LB, then from there to LM, then into the middle. To me, that seems like a more natural progression as you're moving upwards in the amount of pressure you are under in each position before getting into CM, where you have less time than anywhere else on the field.

I'd like to see what he can do at RB, to see how he handles himself there. (also, it's never a bad thing to have a strong defensive RB option, there aren't many around these days) The more positions he could add to his game the better tbh, versatile HG players are invaluable, like a not shit John O'Shea.

It certainly is an idea that has merit, and honestly at present I think most of us would agree he would offer more than Fernando has been who would be his direct competition for that role, Denayer seems both more athletic and actually has passing ability.

MC ID said:
It certainly is an idea that has merit, and honestly at present I think most of us would agree he would offer more than Fernando has been who would be his direct competition for that role, Denayer seems both more athletic and actually has passing ability.

I'd have him back now to play in fernandos position.

Scored the first goal for Celtic today;

[video]https://vine.co/v/O2LbFVuABPz[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.