Jason Denayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was crowned Celtic's Young Player of the Year last night, and is nominated for the SPL's best Young Player of the Year too, which will be announced May 3rd.

Not bad for your first year in senior football!

CDjc_ErXIAAGzJV.jpg

Who is his competition at celtic? I simply feel loaning players to more competitive league's or preferably a premier league team would be better for players development and would allow us to see if they are capable of playing in this league! Both Guidetti and Denayer walked straight into the champions first team and they are head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in the league it kinda tells you all you need to know about the quality Denayer is facing week in week out, I'm a huge fan of our young talent and I believe we have some very talented youngsters coming through and would prefer them to play in as many games that matter as possible and Celtic can play to 50% of their best and get away with it. I hope he is ready of our first team as I'm I huge fan of youth coming through!

dachoosen1 said:
Who is his competition at celtic? I simply feel loaning players to more competitive league's or preferably a premier league team would be better for players development and would allow us to see if they are capable of playing in this league! Both Guidetti and Denayer walked straight into the champions first team and they are head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in the league it kinda tells you all you need to know about the quality Denayer is facing week in week out, I'm a huge fan of our young talent and I believe we have some very talented youngsters coming through and would prefer them to play in as many games that matter as possible and Celtic can play to 50% of their best and get away with it. I hope he is ready of our first team as I'm I huge fan of youth coming through!

Obviously in an ideal world, Denayer would've gone to a top Bundesliga/La Liga/PL team, but there's no way he'd have got even half of the game time he's accrued this year. He's made 40 starts for Celtic this year, which in your first year in senior football is very, very impressive. He's also played in the Europa League against the likes of Inter Milan, Red Bull Salzburg and Dynamo Zagreb, and has coped well.

Even more impressive though, is the fact that he's made his international debut for Belgium at 19. Which, when you consider the calibre of players Wilmots has at his disposal, is some achievement indeed.

When Kompany was sent off, the obvious move would've been to move Alderweireld to CB (his natural position), and put the experienced Vanden-Borre on at RB, but Wilmots obviously has trust in Denayer, throwing him on in a crucial European qualifier vs Israel when they're down to 10 men. And with Kompany suspended, Denayer's now expected to start against Wales in June - the game which will effectively decide who wins Group B.

I'd argue that this has been an almost perfect first loan for Denayer, and he's obviously now ready to be tested a few levels higher, whether that be as City's 3rd CB (I hope), or at team in the CL. But my guess is he'll replace Boyata, and Demichelis will be relegated to the 4th CB.

Lloyd_Scragg said:
dachoosen1 said:

Obviously in an ideal world, Denayer would've gone to a top Bundesliga/La Liga/PL team, but there's no way he'd have got even half of the game time he's accrued this year. He's made 40 starts for Celtic this year, which in your first year in senior football is very, very impressive. He's also played in the Europa League against the likes of Inter Milan, Red Bull Salzburg and Dynamo Zagreb, and has coped well.

Even more impressive though, is the fact that he's made his international debut for Belgium at 19. Which, when you consider the calibre of players Wilmots has at his disposal, is some achievement indeed.

When Kompany was sent off, the obvious move would've been to move Alderweireld to CB (his natural position), and put the experienced Vanden-Borre on at RB, but Wilmots obviously has trust in Denayer, throwing him on in a crucial European qualifier vs Israel when they're down to 10 men. And with Kompany suspended, Denayer's now expected to start against Wales in June - the game which will effectively decide who wins Group B.

I'd argue that this has been an almost perfect first loan for Denayer, and he's obviously now ready to be tested a few levels higher, whether that be as City's 3rd CB (I hope), or at team in the CL. But my guess is he'll replace Boyata, and Demichelis will be relegated to the 4th CB.

Prior to this season Denayer was a promising youth footballer. Excellent prospect but with no senior game time. He now has a minor European league title and cup to his name, played in some big European games and has made his international debut, impressing in all of it. His confidence will be through the roof.

To suggest that he would be better of playing 20 or 30 games in the lower end of the premier league (if he was lucky) or championship football is balls. That loan could not have been better.

The key now is managing the next step. I’d sign him up and bring him in to the first team squad.

Let's just have a look at him, Rekik, Lopes, Cole & any others & see how they settle amongst the first team squad pre season.

If they a look comfortable, keep them all in the squad & play them. If some then struggle, loan them out at Christmas.

Once this season is over, doesn't matter at all how good or bad they have been. All that matters is whether they are good enough to get games at City or not, next season. If Denayer & Lopes look crap when they play pre season, but Cole & Rekik look comfortable, loan out Denayer & Lopes, PLAY Cole & Rekik. Not once every 3 months, once every two or three games.

Nothing should now be based on reputation & what they did or didn't do this season. It should be a clean slate, where they get the chance to show what they can do for City, next season. If none are ready, loan them all out.

Imo neither Denayer nor Rekik would have a cat in hell's chance of marking Benteke for example. So if either is to play, then it would need organising that they are not left marking such a player in an aerial duel. On the ground, Denayer would have him for breakfast, but in the air, not even a hope of getting near him.

That's the kind of thing we have to work out.

Neville Kneville said:
Let's just have a look at him, Rekik, Lopes, Cole & any others & see how they settle amongst the first team squad pre season.

If they a look comfortable, keep them all in the squad & play them. If some then struggle, loan them out at Christmas.

Once this season is over, doesn't matter at all how good or bad they have been. All that matters is whether they are good enough to get games at City or not, next season. If Denayer & Lopes look crap when they play pre season, but Cole & Rekik look comfortable, loan out Denayer & Lopes, PLAY Cole & Rekik. Not once every 3 months, once every two or three games.

Nothing should now be based on reputation & what they did or didn't do this season. It should be a clean slate, where they get the chance to show what they can do for City, next season. If none are ready, loan them all out.

Imo neither Denayer nor Rekik would have a cat in hell's chance of marking Benteke for example. So if either is to play, then it would need organising that they are not left marking such a player in an aerial duel
. On the ground, Denayer would have him for breakfast, but in the air, not even a hope of getting near him.

Demichelis can't either tbh, he's regularly bossed in the air by big players and was all game against Benteke. They'll just have to learn how to deal with the second balls or at least make it awkward for them to head it where they want to.

BigOscar said:
Neville Kneville said:

Imo neither Denayer nor Rekik would have a cat in hell's chance of marking Benteke for example. So if either is to play, then it would need organising that they are not left marking such a player in an aerial duel
. On the ground, Denayer would have him for breakfast, but in the air, not even a hope of getting near him.

Demichelis can't either tbh, he's regularly bossed in the air by big players and was all game against Benteke. They'll just have to learn how to deal with the second balls or at least make it awkward for them to head it where they want to.

That's the idea but we saw Clichy left to mark Fellaini at the swamp two weeks ago. That will end up the same way 8 times out ot ten. Angelino would have a even bigger problem. Rekik, Denayer have improved in that respect (Denayer hugely) but they have barely even seen players like Benteke or Fellaini in the opposition, let alone marked them. Rekik got chewed up by some no mark Norwegian kid a few months back simply because the kid was big.

Celtic do this brilliantly as Van Dijk moves into position to take the big guy & Denayer covers. I hope City consider this & don't just expect the kids to cope with it straight away.

The main thing is giving a young cb or any young defender is a settled defence to come into. Being next to the Kompany of this season would perhaps make them look worse than they are if he continues to be out of form. Demi is solid so he would perhaps be the choice while blooding a young player in.

BigOscar said:
Neville Kneville said:

Wouldn't say he was bossed, he, is experienced enough to know when he is out muscled or outpaced and compensates by marshalling his defence to play Benteke offside which he did for most of the game. Denayer wouldn't be able to do the same.

@City_Watch

Daily Mail: City have told Jason Denayer they want him to spend next year in the Championship to complete his 'footballing apprenticeship'.

We dont plan with him for next season yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.