Jimmy Grimble ....

Am sure that playing field in the game against Reckingham was the old one behind Loreto College in Moss Side.
Anyway, showed this film to my Year 8 kids at school a few weeks ago (Germans!) and they absolutely loved it. Not only that, they all now look out for City's results!

tazmancblue said:
BluePurgatory said:
The School was Wright Robinson in higher Openshaw. There was some great shots of the old Manchester landmarks, Queens Park Cemetry in Harpurhey, Victoria Square in Ancoats and the sky line of the CIS building from Red bank and not forgeting the Fairfield pub near Piccadilly station.

No, the school where he gets beaten up at and you see the gates to is Hulme Grammar in Oldham. And the home games are on the main pitch there and also on a second pitch round the corner.

the first match where the ref scores the header and they play on black charcoal pitch is Loreto college playing fields in hulme
I went college there when they filmed it and was doing sports studies on the field when they were filming it
Also the scene where Gordon says he wants to be Beckham and has bit of a stand off with Robert Carlyle is in the changing rooms of Loreto. I know this because the changing room was in sections and we were round the corner getting changed

brilliant film by the way

tazmancblue said:
BluePurgatory said:
The School was Wright Robinson in higher Openshaw. There was some great shots of the old Manchester landmarks, Queens Park Cemetry in Harpurhey, Victoria Square in Ancoats and the sky line of the CIS building from Red bank and not forgeting the Fairfield pub near Piccadilly station.

No, the school where he gets beaten up at and you see the gates to is Hulme Grammar in Oldham. And the home games are on the main pitch there and also on a second pitch round the corner.

Thanks - didnt think it was WR school as the houses around it didnt fit.

Someone mentions the canal scene - yes, to anyone unfamiliar with the surroundings they wouldnt know it.
Gordon leaves Maine Road and returns a minute or two later minus the boots he has flung in the canal..... which was at Deansgate, would have took him at least an hour round trip!

The only scene I hate is filmed at the Star & Garter pub by Piccadilly station - where Jimmy's mum's boyfriend goes in with a £50 note.... a rag walks in the packed blue pub, wearing his shirt, grabs the £50 note and leaves and no one does anything!!!

The cast have all gone onto great things except Jimmy!
Gina McKee, Ben Miller, Ken the postman/ early doors, Jimmy Corkhill and of course Carlisle (know that is spelt wrong) and Ray 'what facking tool' Winston.
Oh and Gordon's mate is of course in Shameless and the bird in Coronation Street<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:26 pm --<br /><br />
noely said:
tazmancblue said:

the first match where the ref scores the header and they play on black charcoal pitch is Loreto college playing fields in hulme
I went college there when they filmed it and was doing sports studies on the field when they were filming it
Also the scene where Gordon says he wants to be Beckham and has bit of a stand off with Robert Carlyle is in the changing rooms of Loreto. I know this because the changing room was in sections and we were round the corner getting changed

brilliant film by the way

That pitch where they played Reckingham is now a housing estate!

it is a housing estate now and in fiarness best they were because the pitches were wank

was in this film as an extra in the cup match game at maine rd...they advertised on picadilly radio for city fans to turn up at maine rd for 10am next day, so i did and got free butties and a few scenes sat behind ray winstone ;)

ForeverCity said:
always puts a smile on my face. :)

"What could be better than manchester united?.....Manchester city!"

THIS

First time I took my now wife to the movies, just to let her know what she was letting herself in for.

Now have daughter called MOLLY BLUE time for her to watch it I think.

shadygiz said:
was in this film as an extra in the cup match game at maine rd...they advertised on picadilly radio for city fans to turn up at maine rd for 10am next day, so i did and got free butties and a few scenes sat behind ray winstone ;)

I really wanted to go but would have had to take my kids that were about 7 and 5 at the time. Those organising it said you had to arrive at a certain time and couldnt leave until much later. I recall it was a cold November Saturday and just couldnt put the kids through it, sat down in the Main Stand all day, so gave it a miss.
My mate is in it and buys a programme of the blind bloke.

mancityvstoke said:
marco said:
just drifting, is it correct the new development has some sort of flower bed/fountain in what was the centre spot at maine road?

Wasn't there a competition or something for the design?

<a class="postlink" href="http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1264899_blue_moon_to_mark_manchester_citys_former_home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... ormer_home</a>

The guy that has the job for choosing the wording around the design is a well respected poet and writer who is a good friend of mine, he will be giving me the opportunity for some input, when the time comes I will of course throw it open for suggestions from on here..

leipzigblue said:
Am sure that playing field in the game against Reckingham was the old one behind Loreto College in Moss Side.
Anyway, showed this film to my Year 8 kids at school a few weeks ago (Germans!) and they absolutely loved it. Not only that, they all now look out for City's results!

It was the old playing fields behind Loreto... and yes you are right,... it is a crackin film !!!!!!!!!

And , as your german charges have proved , it is an international story about supporting tour own team , even if they are underdog.... and triumph through belief in yourself....

We can do it this season....
the issue is belief

when i watch hart, zabba ,richards silva, AJ, Kompany,De Jong and Tev... I seee top drawer belief

when I see the others I still think a mindset change is needed

We have a squad that can win the league

what we lack is belief and tactics

draw your own conclusions

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.