Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

Mister Appointment said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Mister Appointment said:
Not really. I'd be more concerned if it was Kun, Silva, Vinny, etc. This is more him playing the club because of the situation we were in last summer with regards homegrown players and our FFP restrictions. The fact that he's gone about it this way doesn't change his limited value to the squad, but it does change the perception of him. A twat and an idiot. He'll be huffing and puffing all the way to a Europa League spot next season.

Yeah, what a fucking idiot, seeing out his contract and setting himself up for a massive pay day.

Depends on what's important to you. For me any player who leaves City of their own volition whilst City want to keep them is an idiot. There's no forward steps from our club in the PL, only backwards ones. The pay day is all good and well but it's not like he's going to double his money or anything like that. He'll get a bumper signing on fee but to a guy who's just made 20 million and is being offered another 20 million for his next contract, wanting to take 25 million to make a backwards career move also seems a bit idiotic.

Without knowing the terms of the new deal that we offered him, i don't think you're in a place to say whether he is being idiotic or not.

If he stays with us for the next 3 years, his chances of football will become a lot slimmer than they have been for the last 18 months. My guess is we will bring in some real quality in the wide areas in the summer, which will push Milner even further back in the pecking order.

I don't think he's daft at all, he knows he won't get much football. And I would imagine you know that as well given your damning verdict of him as a player.

Lancet Fluke said:
Mister Appointment said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Yeah, what a fucking idiot, seeing out his contract and setting himself up for a massive pay day.

Depends on what's important to you. For me any player who leaves City of their own volition whilst City want to keep them is an idiot. There's no forward steps from our club in the PL, only backwards ones. The pay day is all good and well but it's not like he's going to double his money or anything like that. He'll get a bumper signing on fee but to a guy who's just made 20 million and is being offered another 20 million for his next contract, wanting to take 25 million to make a backwards career move also seems a bit idiotic.

He will get much more regular football at a club he is happy to go to and he will get a shit load of money into the bargain. You on the one hand give the impression that he has been able to outflank the people running the club but also describe him as an idiot. I'm fascinated that you have such a handle on all the figures of the various contarcts on offer to him. You're a proper know it all. You obviously properly hate the guy.

It's not about knowing the ins and outs of how much he's being offered - but being realistic about what the difference will be. It isn't going to be double his money or anything like that. I've never said he "outflanked" anyone at our club. I simply called him the liar that he is for saying that he wanted more playing time and he really didn't want to leave the club when all the while he had every intention of leaving because he wasn't prepared to be part of the squad any longer.

It's also not about properly hating the guy, but i'm not entirely sure why I should be pleased with the way things have panned out. I read all over this forum how FFP is fucking us, and how we need to buy better players because the squad's getting old, and yet at the same time I'm meant to applaud Milner for walking away on a free transfer to another club in the league. I want what's best for City, and losing a transfer fee for a player who in the open market with even a couple of years on his contract would be worth 15/20 million pounds, isn't what's best for City.

Mister Appointment said:
Lancet Fluke said:
I want what's best for City, and losing a transfer fee for a player who in the open market with even a couple of years on his contract would be worth 15/20 million pounds, isn't what's best for City.

For the umpteenth time, if we are really struggling for money then we should have sold him last season, im sure we would have comfortably replaced his abilities with that 15/20 million pounds

And as for the homegrown rule, its our fault were in the position, we've opted to spend shit loads of money on bang average foreigners, when we could have got cheaper alternatives on these shores

Mister Appointment said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Mister Appointment said:

He will get much more regular football at a club he is happy to go to and he will get a shit load of money into the bargain. You on the one hand give the impression that he has been able to outflank the people running the club but also describe him as an idiot. I'm fascinated that you have such a handle on all the figures of the various contarcts on offer to him. You're a proper know it all. You obviously properly hate the guy.

It's not about knowing the ins and outs of how much he's being offered - but being realistic about what the difference will be. It isn't going to be double his money or anything like that. I've never said he "outflanked" anyone at our club. I simply called him the liar that he is for saying that he wanted more playing time and he really didn't want to leave the club when all the while he had every intention of leaving because he wasn't prepared to be part of the squad any longer.

It's also not about properly hating the guy, but i'm not entirely sure why I should be pleased with the way things have panned out. I read all over this forum how FFP is fucking us, and how we need to buy better players because the squad's getting old, and yet at the same time I'm meant to applaud Milner for walking away on a free transfer to another club in the league. I want what's best for City, and losing a transfer fee for a player who in the open market with even a couple of years on his contract would be worth 15/20 million pounds, isn't what's best for City.

Apologies, I forgot that there is nothing inbetween applauding his actions and describing him as a dripping twat.

Lancet Fluke said:
Mister Appointment said:
Lancet Fluke said:

Apologies, I forgot that there is nothing inbetween applauding his actions and describing him as a dripping twat.

Listen if you're sensitive to my liberal use of profanities I can only apologise. If it's any consolation I would occasionally have cause for calling myself a dripping twat. :)

Mister Appointment said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Mister Appointment said:

Listen if you're sensitive to my liberal use of profanities I can only apologise. If it's any consolation I would occasionally have cause for calling myself a dripping twat. :)

I'm not inherantly sensitive to profanities. I swear a lot. Just don't think he deserves the hate. He has done a decent job, he's done what a fair amount of players do and I have no doubt we will take advantage of this situation at another club at some point. It's a bit disappointing, that's all. As long as he continues to do his job as well as he can until his contract ends, that'll do. I don't expect any particular loyalty beyond the terms of his contract.

chris85mcfc said:
Mister Appointment said:
Lancet Fluke said:
I want what's best for City, and losing a transfer fee for a player who in the open market with even a couple of years on his contract would be worth 15/20 million pounds, isn't what's best for City.

For the umpteenth time, if we are really struggling for money then we should have sold him last season, im sure we would have comfortably replaced his abilities with that 15/20 million pounds

And as for the homegrown rule, its our fault were in the position, we've opted to spend shit loads of money on bang average foreigners, when we could have got cheaper alternatives on these shores

There is no way knowing the restrictions on us any club would have given us £15-20m last summer. Arsenal let it be known they would offer £10m. Where in hell could we get a homegrown player good enough for £10m.

Secondly for a squad full of bang average foreigners we've done ok. In general English based players have been hugely overpriced. I can think of very few that have been on the market in the last few years that would be good for City.

FFP has done it's job in the sense City were excluded from certain markets (fabregas and Sanchez this summer) or were very cautious in the past (walked away from RVP and Hazard).

Milner has played this well from his own financial point of view but personally I feel he has been opportunistic and will get more money but a lesser club career.

pavelsrnicek said:
chris85mcfc said:

There is no way knowing the restrictions on us any club would have given us £15-20m last summer. Arsenal let it be known they would offer £10m. Where in hell could we get a homegrown player good enough for £10m.

Secondly for a squad full of bang average foreigners we've done ok. In general English based players have been hugely overpriced. I can think of very few that have been on the market in the last few years that would be good for City.

FFP has done it's job in the sense City were excluded from certain markets (fabregas and Sanchez this summer) or were very cautious in the past (walked away from RVP and Hazard).

Milner has played this well from his own financial point of view but personally I feel he has been opportunistic and will get more money but a lesser club career.

In that case you sell Milner for £10m and bring Lopes into the squad

Or perhaps we could have been a bit more savvy in terms of what we spent our money on. Fernando, Mangala, Zuccilini and Caballero were the players brought in to ensure we spent £50 million

You add Milner, Rodwell and Garcia fees to that and you have a fairly decent transfer kitty. We would have had a slightly smaller squad but it would have been a better squad in my opinion.

Lancet Fluke said:
I don't expect any particular loyalty beyond the terms of his contract.

I do, precisely because of the success that Milner's enjoyed whilst at the club. I could understand if he'd spent the last three years on the bench but he has played big roles in every trophy we've won. The supporters clearly love him. In many respects he's heading to a lesser club because he's won so much at City. But why deny us the transfer fee? Because it's about pure self interest, which to many people is fair enough, but to me by doing that and in the manner he's doing it he's disrespecting the club which has given him the most successful period of his playing career.

I also don't think players leaving on free transfers is a particularly regular occurrence in the premier league, and even less so at the top clubs unless the club choose not to extend the players stay.

Somewhere at the start of this thread I acknowledged that there's a level of hypocrisy involved in the way I feel. If City wanted rid of him they'd make him find a new club even if he wanted to stay as they've done with Nastasic. But my reasons for having the ill feeling I have towards Jimmy remain. Of course I'll wish him all the best when he goes because I'm not that arsed. But i'll remain of the opinion he's an idiot for leaving and a snide one for doing it in the manner he's doing it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.