Joao Cancelo | Al Hilal Player

Alvarez is one of only 3 to win a world cup and league title in the same season. Messi and Otamendi being the other two.
Thats an incredible statistic.
I genuinely though loads of players would have won a world cup and league title in the same season.
Liverpool won the league in 66 and Roger Hunt played for England and Pele springs to mind also.
I thought several Italian and Germans would have completed both when their national team won World Cups.

Is this a trick question as the recent World Cup took place mid-season?

I think they’re both incredible seasons that will never likely be done in England again.

They're slightly different as someone like Haaland isn't likely to be able to emulate Alvarez because he’s Norwegian, but he’s never likely to transfer in January, making it equally unlikely that he’d emulate Cancelo either.

Fair enough. I disagree, on two counts as I said.

If Haaland or anyone else were to transfer in January and the club were to go on to win the treble without them, the same would apply for me, I.e I wouldn't consider them to have won it. But I wouldn't argue whatever the formal records show either.

Edit. I notice you didn't actually answer my question btw.

Thats an incredible statistic.
I genuinely though loads of players would have won a world cup and league title in the same season.
Liverpool won the league in 66 and Roger Hunt played for England and Pele springs to mind also.
I thought several Italian and Germans would have completed both when their national team won World Cups.

Is this a trick question as the recent World Cup took place mid-season?

Not intended as a trick question, but yes it is the technicality of this being the only world cup not being played in the off-season.

Same way a january transfer allows the technicality of winning two league titles in one season.

Not intended as a trick question, but yes it is the technicality of this being the only world cup not being played in the off-season.

Same way a january transfer allows the technicality of winning two league titles in one season.
The January transfer window happens every season.

The World Cup during the season doesn’t. Kind of kills your stat dead if it’s on a technicality.

The January transfer window happens every season.

The World Cup during the season doesn’t. Kind of kills your stat dead if it’s on a technicality.

Most odd/quirky stats are based around technicalities. And why they make such good pub quiz questions. Which was the context here.

It is the opposite imo, it is likely to be far more rare, and that makes it more special.

Still waiting on a response though, on who you think had the more successful season, Cancelo or Alvarez.

Most odd/quirky stats are based around technicalities. And why they make such good pub quiz questions. Which was the context here.

It is the opposite imo, it is likely to be far more rare, and that makes it more special.

Still waiting on a response though, on who you think had the more successful season, Cancelo or Alvarez.
Fair enough. I think both will be happy with their hauls and would say they were equally good.

Here’s another quirky stat for you. Darren Ambrose is the youngest player to score in the Premier League, followed by Ferran Torres.

Can we lend Barca the cash to make the deal permanent, just to be safe?
He’s destined to play 70% of their games so it’s essentially an obligation in my view. Plus his wages are off our books so that’s also great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.