Joao Cancelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think Walker is an 'elite' fullback, the only conclusion I can draw is you barely watch football City aside.

Walker is below average with the ball, judging by the standards of Guardiola teams.
If you watched City this season, you could notice Pep has designed a system depriving Walker of the ball to hide his technical ineptness. He plays in RCB role, chases counters, moves off-the-ball a lot and takes the least possible part in the build-up. In all games when he was given a licence to operate as a winger, Walker's been terribly exposed. Liverpool away, cup final vs Arsenal, Huddersfield home to name a few. A fullback that can't pass the ball well enough can't be deemed as an elite one in my opinion.

Funnily enough, a year ago, before the transfer, the consensus here was that he's an average footballer with good athletic attributes. Which sounds about right. Comparing him with worldies like Carvajal, Alves or Kimmich doesn't make any sense.

As for Danilo, you're only proving my suggestion that you barely watch football City aside. Anyone who follows Madrid knows Danilo's been wank for them. The €30m sell to City was a great deal for Madrid, not Man City, they were happy to get rid. Ask any Real fan on twitter. Danilo is basically a powerful winger with limited defensive capabilities. A month ago the Bluemoon crew wanted to sell him and replace with Pablo Maffeo, who is currently a defender for midtable teams at best.

As for 'best reserve fullback'...It's an open secret that Madrid are signing Odriozola. Both Carvajal and Odriozola are in the Spain NT ahead of Bellerin, which should tell you something about the quality of this pair. Kimmich-Rafinha pair also stands out. I actually think the main factor that caused Tite to choose Danilo over Rafinha is the fact that he plays for City, and Tite has basically copied City's tactical setup (which he admitted in his interview).

The tendency to overrate City players on this board is hilarious. It's like you can't get your head over the fact that other teams can have better players. Ask any non-City fan, especially outside of England, whom of City players would he take into the World XI. The general answer will be "De Bruyne", and that's it.
The reality is City don't buy worldies nowadays and rely on a steady squad building, young talent and good coaching, that's why the club transfer record is £57m, not 100, 120 or 200.

The RB position surely could be improved.

Could Danilo be used wide right in a 3-5-2 with walker as a RCB?

If you think Walker is an 'elite' fullback, the only conclusion I can draw is you barely watch football City aside.

Walker is below average with the ball, judging by the standards of Guardiola teams.
If you watched City this season, you could notice Pep has designed a system depriving Walker of the ball to hide his technical ineptness. He plays in RCB role, chases counters, moves off-the-ball a lot and takes the least possible part in the build-up. In all games when he was given a licence to operate as a winger, Walker's been terribly exposed. Liverpool away, cup final vs Arsenal, Huddersfield home to name a few. A fullback that can't pass the ball well enough can't be deemed as an elite one in my opinion.

Funnily enough, a year ago, before the transfer, the consensus here was that he's an average footballer with good athletic attributes. Which sounds about right. Comparing him with worldies like Carvajal, Alves or Kimmich doesn't make any sense.

As for Danilo, you're only proving my suggestion that you barely watch football City aside. Anyone who follows Madrid knows Danilo's been wank for them. The €30m sell to City was a great deal for Madrid, not Man City, they were happy to get rid. Ask any Real fan on twitter. Danilo is basically a powerful winger with limited defensive capabilities. A month ago the Bluemoon crew wanted to sell him and replace with Pablo Maffeo, who is currently a defender for midtable teams at best.

As for 'best reserve fullback'...It's an open secret that Madrid are signing Odriozola. Both Carvajal and Odriozola are in the Spain NT ahead of Bellerin, which should tell you something about the quality of this pair. Kimmich-Rafinha pair also stands out. I actually think the main factor that caused Tite to choose Danilo over Rafinha is the fact that he plays for City, and Tite has basically copied City's tactical setup (which he admitted in his interview).

The tendency to overrate City players on this board is hilarious. It's like you can't get your head over the fact that other teams can have better players. Ask any non-City fan, especially outside of England, whom of City players would he take into the World XI. The general answer will be "De Bruyne", and that's it.
The reality is City don't buy worldies nowadays and rely on a steady squad building, young talent and good coaching, that's why the club transfer record is £57m, not 100, 120 or 200.

In my opinion you seem to think you know a great deal about football. In my opinion, your opinion is wrong about the ‘world ‘ quality of some of our players, Silva, Aguero to name but two but your welcome to it.

First thing's first, I watch plenty of football outside of City so please spare me the condescending bullshit.

The vast, vast majority of the football world seems to be in agreement that Walker is one of the top right-backs in the world. He's a three-time PFA TOTY player, making him easily the most decorated in the Premier League. Alves is now absolutely past it, meaning his only competition for slot of best RB in the world is Carvajal and Kimmich. Here I'm looking at players who've consistently performed at top-level clubs, because plenty of players who stand out for a few seasons at smaller clubs will fall short at the very top. Physically Walker is miles ahead of both and, while I'd agree that both are better than him overall, that still leaves him in the top three. I've not come across many people who believe that Walker ISN'T one of the best RB's in the world and I suspect that this viewpoint may be a reaction to his end-of-season form.

Danilo is certainly better than Rafinha as well- the fact that Rafinha has been benched permanently for a 20-year-old midfielder says it all about how good a right-back he actually is, and THAT is why he's not going to the world cup. Obviously Danilo isn't at the level of Carvajal or Kimmich but compare him to other backup RBs like Rafinha, Serge Aurier, Nelson Semedo and Davide Zappacosta and Danilo comes out on top every time. His trophy cabinet is better than anyone else in the City team I believe- average players don't get that many honors.

For all the time I've spent reading about City this past season you're the first person I've seen suggest that our RB area is weak.

And even if it was, would Cancelo be the answer? I highly doubt it.

First thing's first, I watch plenty of football outside of City so please spare me the condescending bullshit.

The vast, vast majority of the football world seems to be in agreement that Walker is one of the top right-backs in the world. He's a three-time PFA TOTY player, making him easily the most decorated in the Premier League. Alves is now absolutely past it, meaning his only competition for slot of best RB in the world is Carvajal and Kimmich. Here I'm looking at players who've consistently performed at top-level clubs, because plenty of players who stand out for a few seasons at smaller clubs will fall short at the very top. Physically Walker is miles ahead of both and, while I'd agree that both are better than him overall, that still leaves him in the top three. I've not come across many people who believe that Walker ISN'T one of the best RB's in the world and I suspect that this viewpoint may be a reaction to his end-of-season form.

Danilo is certainly better than Rafinha as well- the fact that Rafinha has been benched permanently for a 20-year-old midfielder says it all about how good a right-back he actually is, and THAT is why he's not going to the world cup. Obviously Danilo isn't at the level of Carvajal or Kimmich but compare him to other backup RBs like Rafinha, Serge Aurier, Nelson Semedo and Davide Zappacosta and Danilo comes out on top every time. His trophy cabinet is better than anyone else in the City team I believe- average players don't get that many honors.

For all the time I've spent reading about City this past season you're the first person I've seen suggest that our RB area is weak.

Thank god for a bit of sanity

LB needs looking at more than RB

Thank god for a bit of sanity

LB needs looking at more than RB

I think we'll be OK with LB for a bit, Delph and Mendy are both a bit injury prone which is a worry but in terms of quality I reckon we're sorted. A natural backup wouldn't go amiss but that would mean cutting Delph which would be harsh IMO.

Totally agree. I could understand if we wanted to strengthen at LB but unless Danilo leaves then I fully expect our RB’s to remain the same.

Walker is a really good right back until it comes to the final third, where his lack of flair can reveal itself. There are very few fullbacks in the world I would swap him for though and Danilo showed, towards the end of the season, that he may well become a genuinely top class right back too. We are lucky to have them both.

If we want a good passer at right back how about de bruyne or even silva?.come on if all you needed was world class passing ability you would have midfielders playing there as they would be perfect for the inverted full back role.you have to be able to do so much more.high energy is required for example dani alves at barca or alaba at bayern.concentration levels needed are paramount.if you switch of in the prem you get destroyed so its a mixture of all three.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.