John Carew [Merged]

Re: John Carew

stavros said:
sorry iv obviosly missed something , but where does it say , or who says were being linked with carew?

Link is here

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5342466,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 66,00.html</a>

Good addition to the squad imo

his age is the only problem i have .prefer someone mid twenties ideally, mature with 5 or 6 years at the top ,gives time to groom an eventual replacement .we want a production line to really move up .carew would leave us in the same position next year looking to fill a crucial position wouldnt be a disaster but wouldnt be a solution for the future

nickson71 said:
mcs - I agree with what your saying in terms of building the squad and that Carew would be a useful signing

but the following quote jumped out at me

mcs said:
Currently, the equation is fairly simple. We can only compete on a financial level. If these big clubs make a similar offer to us, then for the large majority of players (>99% would be my guess), then there is only one place they will chose, and unfortunately it won't be City. The situation surrouding Robinho is hardly going to repeat itself in a way like it did to our advantage with any other players.

I was looking at this and the thing that struck me was there maybe more big name players availble than the big clubs can buy
when you think about it Valencia will sell as they need the money to pay loans ....... so if they sell Villa and Silva we may see them signing a couple of lower price replacement so in over simplified term we could be looking a 2 out 1 in so it's one extra big name player. If Kaka is sold for silly money they need to rebuild their aging team so they will spend the cash on players that are a level or two down from the big names. Any other big club that are feeling the credit crunch will be triming their squads but what will their owners do if all of a sudden a big money offer come through the fax machine for their star player.
I think we could be looking at some clubs selling big names and using some of the cash generated on other thing rather than big name replacements.

Madrid can't buy them all

It's not a bad shout at all and an interesting way to look at it. It could be that some superstars will end up at clubs we don't expect them to, because as you say in a tight market they are the clubs that have the money to spend- clubs of the like of a Bayern Munich, who you would expect would have plenty of cash to splash if Ribery were to leave which looks likely, or perhaps Lyon should they sell Benzema, and I'm sure there are other examples. If that were to be the case, we could end up with a decent chance, but again it comes back to the CL question. But, there could be a significant narrowing of the clubs where these players end up, and we certainly should have an advantage in terms of wages.

One way I could see it working against us looking at it that way will be if we are looking at young up and coming players (I.e. of the Aguero type). For while these clubs need to rebuild, they are still going to go after the very best young talent available. They will still try to target the best players they can, and it would make it tough to get those younger players. But perhaps it could be that we can price some of the bigger clubs out of the market. A really interesting way to look at it, and something that I certainly hadn't really considered.

nickson71 said:
mcs - I agree with what your saying in terms of building the squad and that Carew would be a useful signing

but the following quote jumped out at me

mcs said:
Currently, the equation is fairly simple. We can only compete on a financial level. If these big clubs make a similar offer to us, then for the large majority of players (>99% would be my guess), then there is only one place they will chose, and unfortunately it won't be City. The situation surrouding Robinho is hardly going to repeat itself in a way like it did to our advantage with any other players.

I was looking at this and the thing that struck me was there maybe more big name players availble than the big clubs can buy

when you think about it Valencia will sell as they need the money to pay loans ....... so if they sell Villa and Silva we may see them signing a couple of lower price replacement so in over simplified term we could be looking a 2 out 1 in so it's one extra big name player. If Kaka is sold for silly money they need to rebuild their aging team so they will spend the cash on players that are a level or two down from the big names. Any other big club that are feeling the credit crunch will be triming their squads but what will their owners do if all of a sudden a big money offer come through the fax machine for their star player.

I think we could be looking at some clubs selling big names and using some of the cash generated on other thing rather than big name replacements.

Madrid can't buy them all

Kaka
Ribery
Ibrahimovic
Aguero
Drogba
Tevez
Eto'o
Henry
Villa
Silva
Tranny
Mario Gomez
Adebayor
Dzeko
Van der Vaart
Robben
Benzema

list of decent midfielders and forwards who will prob be on the move (sure i will have missed a few....)

the BIG chumps leagues clubs definitely can't buy them all, we should be capable of picking up what we need from these.

As poor as Villa were when they came here this year, I thought he caused problems & asked questions of our centre halfs.

For £3m or so I think he'd be a usefull squad player for the coming year ( I guess he'd be back up & RSC if bought would be 1st choice) as I see Evans, Benji being sold on & maybe PC going out on loan.

I made a thread on here a few weeks ago about John Carew. I think he'd be an absolutely fantastic buy and I can't understand how people can think he wouldn't be good enough. I think maybe it's a phychological thing - just because he's not coming from one of the worlds top sides people think we should be aiming higher. Whether you want to believe it or not, Villa are a better side than us at the moment.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If we only sign one player in the summer i'd pick Carew every time - even infront of Tevez. He's exactly what the team needs. A big target man, but one that can play football as well. I remember Agbonlahor saying he was the best striker he'd ever played with (including international teammates), and he's idolised by the villa fans (e.g. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG5-CijHx9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG5-CijHx9Y</a> ).

wrongun73 said:
carew would score goals for us no doubt about it but why does hughes have this obsession with injury- plagued players FFS

Why do you believe the story is true?

We have now been linked with Drogba, RSC, Crouch, Forlan, Aquerro, Villa and now Carew.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we will be signing all of these, although anyone would improve on what we have at present. Until we here officially its paper talk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.