John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Error strewn season. Yer watch the lad and wonder when the next bollock is gonna be dropped. Mind if it wasn't Stonesy dropping one, it could be any one of another eight or nine.

Yeah they were. Dreadful 2nd half showing. Spineless.

Just bumped into a mate whilst out for a walk.. Unfortunately he is an Everton fan so I took the flak. He was saying Stones was absolutely no different for them. Error after error. It's all very well saying he will come good but it's not like he hasn't played for a while now. He needs to cut these errors out and work on his positioning.

I always thought Stones had the potential to be a world class centre back, but he hasn't improved st all since coming here.

Needs to learn the basics of defending - and fast. It's great to be talented on the ball when the chance allows it and can be a real asset to a top team, by first thing is first, he's a defender. Win your headers, win your tackles, clear the ball when in danger.

Stones is still guilty of overplaying. I want him to be ambitious with his passing and show a great range of passing through the lines (he needs to study Alderweireld), not trying it twenty yards from our goal and costing us goals every few weeks.

If you take away his "ability on the ball" you're not left with much, certainly not a top defender. Will end up being another central defender given away for frig all in 2 years time.

If you take away his "ability on the ball" you're not left with much, certainly not a top defender. Will end up being another central defender given away for frig all in 2 years time.

He did well against Lukaku today, if he hadn't have made that mistake no one would be saying anything about his performance today.

Yeah they were. Dreadful 2nd half showing. Spineless.

Just bumped into a mate whilst out for a walk.. Unfortunately he is an Everton fan so I took the flak. He was saying Stones was absolutely no different for them. Error after error. It's all very well saying he will come good but it's not like he hasn't played for a while now. He needs to cut these errors out and work on his positioning.

My lad says exactly the same. He plays for us the way he played for Everton. He is comfortable on the ball where Joleoninho and The Mangler weren't and it is that which carries the day. I wonder what Dave Ewing, Dave Watson, Tommy Caton, Tommy Booth, Andy Morrison or Richard Dunne would say to questions about whether they could play it out from the back. The answer I would suspect would be along the lines of: No, boss, but that bastard of a centre forward ain't getting past me this afternoon!

And what would Corrigan or Trautmann say about playing it out from the back? Wonder how many first shots of the afternoon those two let in?

He did well against Lukaku today, if he hadn't have made that mistake no one would be saying anything about his performance today.

But that is the point. He makes just one mistake in a game where he performs admirably and we concede. We want players who might possibly make a mistake and not concede. It might just be one of those unfortunate seasons where every mistake leads to a goal. They're not shit all the time, and I bet a pound to a penny they don't make a similar mistake all week in training.

But that is the point. He makes just one mistake in a game where he performs admirably and we concede. We want players who might possibly make a mistake and not concede. It might just be one of those unfortunate seasons where every mistake leads to a goal. They're not shit all the time, and I bet a pound to a penny they don't make a similar mistake all week in training.

You could say that about any of one our defenders though. We've spent huge money on Otamendi, Stones and Mangala and together along with Kompany in the last 2 years have made cock ups after cock ups. We either are so unlucky or we are not using them correctly. I suspect the latter.

Look at some of the last few premier league title winning defenders - Robert Huth, Wes Morgan, Gary Cahill, Joleon Lescott. None of them are what you would call "sexy defenders" but they played to their strengths and defended. Otamendi, Stones and Mangala are better than the above based on their attributes but we are asking them to do things that midfielders should do and not defenders.

You could say that about any of one our defenders though. We've spent huge money on Otamendi, Stones and Mangala and together along with Kompany in the last 2 years have made cock ups after cock ups. We either are so unlucky or we are not using them correctly. I suspect the latter.

Look at some of the last few premier league title winning defenders - Robert Huth, Wes Morgan, Gary Cahill, Joleon Lescott. None of them are what you would call "sexy defenders" but they played to their strengths and defended. Otamendi, Stones and Mangala are better than the above based on their attributes but we are asking them to do things that midfielders should do and not defenders.

Absolutely. Let defenders defend. Doesn't matter how ugly it might look. The idea is to stop the ball goin' in the net. Does it pain our management that it looks ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.