John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
then why did pep gaurdiola want him ? barca, city, chelsea were all heavily linked and definitly interested. if he showed nothing why where top clubs and managers after him.

I'm not sure Pep would have seen him live much, being busy with Bayern for the entirety of Stones Premier league career. I can only presume Pep went with the scouting reports, the same scout reports who recommended mangala. I also think Peps first choice was probably Laporte. And when that didn't happen they went to next on the scouted list, Stones. Txixi also has form for not being the best when buying Centre halfs, Chyrgynskiy, Henrique, Caceras, Milito and Edmilson all failing at Barca. Granted he bought Thuram (we,d all know he was good) and Pique (who'd been at Barca as a kid) aswell, but got most wrong.

As for why others were interested, I have no idea. Caught up in the media hype? I'd say Chelsea were desperate when they bid 40 mil the season before. He's showing the exact same form as he did for Everton for the previous two years. Surprised people expected different.

Anyone would struggle playing next to Kolarov, Otemendi etc.

I'd argue no defender in earth could look good/improve in this system with the personnel. No real cover from midfield, full backs that don't cover or run back and are generally, regularly, out of position. Two senior centre backs that create chaos and a goalkeeper that, for one reason or another, doesn't save anything. This isn't really an environment for playing young players, no matter how much they cost

Get the defence right and the forwards will look after themselves

Last 16 games.

10 with Stones playing the majority of the game 3 wins

6 without Stones playing the majority of the game 6 wins

We look better with otamendi and kolarov at centre half. Never thought I'd say that...... especially after blowing 50 mil on one in the summer. The goal keeping situation as you say is also a joke. Wasn't Harts biggest fan, but to replace him with Bravo is lunacy.

From what I can see Stones has no upper body strength to hold off the likes of Lukaku.

From what I can see Stones has no positional sense to ensure that he's in the right place at the right time.

From what I can see Stones has no great speed in his locker to recover when out of position.

From what I can see Stones has no better vision then the average central defender to deliver a through ball or create an attack (so why he bothers moving into midfield is beyond me).

From what I can see Stones has no better skill on the ball than the average central defender to ensure his first touch doesn't go astray or that his passes are accurate and well timed, i.e. not leading to opportunities for the opposition.

From what I can see Stones has no confidence or wealth of experience having been inconsistent for a long time now.

From what I saw before and since we should have walked away when Everton wanted silly money. Will we ever learn?

From what I can see Stones has no upper body strength to hold off the likes of Lukaku.

From what I can see Stones has no positional sense to ensure that he's in the right place at the right time.

From what I can see Stones has no great speed in his locker to recover when out of position.

From what I can see Stones has no better vision then the average central defender to deliver a through ball or create an attack (so why he bothers moving into midfield is beyond me).

From what I can see Stones has no better skill on the ball than the average central defender to ensure his first touch doesn't go astray or that his passes are accurate and well timed, i.e. not leading to opportunities for the opposition.

From what I can see Stones has no confidence or wealth of experience having been inconsistent for a long time now.

From what I saw before and since we should have walked away when Everton wanted silly money. Will we ever learn?
You could be right mate,I just wish at 21 he'd have had somebody to learn off during games but he's sat in the stands with bits falling off him every time he play's sadly.

Stones will come good. I think he was unlucky for the goals today. Was always going to be a hard game going back to Everton but it will make him stronger. Ottamendi my god we got sold a dud. I think he will be gone sooner rather than latter. Hopefully Kompany aint too far away from a return.

Stones will come good. I think he was unlucky for the goals today. Was always going to be a hard game going back to Everton but it will make him stronger. Ottamendi my god we got sold a dud. I think he will be gone sooner rather than latter. Hopefully Kompany aint too far away from a return.
It's not that I think Stones was especially bad today. I just think there is nothing there fundamentally to build on. At least with someone like Mangala he had strength.

I had high hopes for Otamendi but I agree with you - the sooner he's gone the better.

Other than Sagna we are in a dire state at the back.

I get it, the natural impulse to support Stones as the local lad and ignore his failings while point fingers all around but that is what is hurting the club long-term and Stones as well. Stones cannot handle the job was clear not only today, it was the same against Lester. Pep rested him for few games after that debacle and we went on a brief run. He came off as as sub against Burnley with few minutes to go and headed a clearance to feet of Burnley player on the box and we lucked out with the shot missing by inches. I would say a very expensive training exercise for CIty if they want to keep him in starting eleven in PL games so he learns the ropes.

I get it, the natural impulse to support Stones as the local lad and ignore his failings while point fingers all around but that is what is hurting the club long-term and Stones as well. Stones cannot handle the job was clear not only today, it was the same against Lester. Pep rested him for few games after that debacle and we went on a brief run. He came off as as sub against Burnley with few minutes to go and headed a clearance to feet of Burnley player on the box and we lucked out with the shot missing by inches. I would say a very expensive training exercise for CIty if they want to keep him in starting eleven in PL games so he learns the ropes.

i didn't know barnsley was in manchester.maybe you are right fans will back young english players though.

It's not that I think Stones was especially bad today. I just think there is nothing there fundamentally to build on. At least with someone like Mangala he had strength.

I had high hopes for Otamendi but I agree with you - the sooner he's gone the better.

Other than Sagna we are in a dire state at the back.

I was surprised we got rid of Mangala not as bad as what we got at the moment but the descisions in the defensive positions from Pep this season has been questionable for me. Hart going for Bravo. The fullbacks the not having a settled 4 or 3 thats whats fucking us up this season. I just hope once Kompany is back Pep settles on his back 3 or back 4 and goes with them for the remainer of the season we might end up keeping more clean sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.