John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised we got rid of Mangala not as bad as what we got at the moment but the descisions in the defensive positions from Pep this season has been questionable for me. Hart going for Bravo. The fullbacks the not having a settled 4 or 3 thats whats fucking us up this season. I just hope once Kompany is back Pep settles on his back 3 or back 4 and goes with them for the remainer of the season we might end up keeping more clean sheets.
I think at this stage we have to assume he's not coming back. Obviously it'll be a huge bonus if he does, but we need to build the team around the assumption that Kompany won't be available. Stones is a talented young player, but let's make no mistake, he was our third choice in the summer after Bonucci and Laporte. He was never intended to come in and turn our defence into a rock solid unit by himself. He's a kid who needs to be playing alongside a world class centre back to learn, but we only have one of those, and he's constantly injured. And they're not exactly easy to find. Tbh, I'm trying to think of a single one in the Premier League other than Kompany. Terry back in the day of course. Alderweireld, possibly?

Personally, I'd be all over Van Dijk, but given how much we've spent on CBs recently, I can see why they'd be reluctant to try and put it right by throwing yet more money at the problem, especially for someone who's not proven world class.

Anyone would struggle playing next to Kolarov, Otemendi etc.

I'd argue no defender in earth could look good/improve in this system with the personnel. No real cover from midfield, full backs that don't cover or run back and are generally, regularly, out of position. Two senior centre backs that create chaos and a goalkeeper that, for one reason or another, doesn't save anything. This isn't really an environment for playing young players, no matter how much they cost

Get the defence right and the forwards will look after themselves
At CB, Ota and Kola are better, that's the reality. If Stones is potential, we need to manage it better

overhyped english men like who ?. most english players get ripped to pieces by the media and fans. sterling, kane, barkley. stones have all been slaughtered by the press. would you rather he was called john stonio ? would he be good enough for you then ;)

No mate, I am just fed up of hearing all the media keep saying he's so good. The praise he gets is beyond that of the others you mentioned. He seems okay on the ball, and an average defender that's it. But I'll have to trust the ex-pros who rate him so highly and see if he comes good

Thought I'd wait to have a sleep before commenting. This guy is a joke and Alan shearer is correct. It's mistake after mistake after mistake.

And then we get on here don't worry he'll come good all part of the game. 22 years old and been around for what 100 premiership games and a £50 million player. He's a shambles and Everton have had our pants down once again

Just looks so ill-equipped to defend on the front foot, high up the pitch. Not strong enough, nowhere near aggressive enough. Far too often just drops off and allows strikers to turn and run at him. Throw in the various daft mistakes he's made, and it adds up to a pretty poor showing so far.
Still got plenty of hope that he'll come good, but it must happen soon. He's not a kid anymore, he's an experienced Premier League defender who needs to step up.

Thought I'd wait to have a sleep before commenting. This guy is a joke and Alan shearer is correct. It's mistake after mistake after mistake.

And then we get on here don't worry he'll come good all part of the game. 22 years old and been around for what 100 premiership games and a £50 million player. He's a shambles and Everton have had our pants down once again

To be fair,he is not alone in our current squad,I'm sick of reading he's young and will get better,aka-Sterling,this is the most upsetting thing,cost a fortune and not showing they worth a 1/3 of it,but who else takes the blame ? Coaches/manager,if you are so young and cannot learn from the so called best coach in the world,what chance have they got ?

Thing is though Stones and Sterling were doing very well before they came,hence the huge price tags we had to fork out,so why the sudden turn around in their play ? The curse of the City shirt or a coach who cannot help them,it's a disgrace,and as for the transfer fees paid,I agree entirely with you,pants down and arses well and truly smacked

To be fair,he is not alone in our current squad,I'm sick of reading he's young and will get better,aka-Sterling,this is the most upsetting thing,cost a fortune and not showing they worth a 1/3 of it,but who else takes the blame ? Coaches/manager,if you are so young and cannot learn from the so called best coach in the world,what chance have they got ?

Thing is though Stones and Sterling were doing very well before they came,hence the huge price tags we had to fork out,so why the sudden turn around in their play ? The curse of the City shirt or a coach who cannot help them,it's a disgrace,and as for the transfer fees paid,I agree entirely with you,pants down and arses well and truly smacked

We signed both when they were at a bit of a low point. Stones was struggling to hold down a place in the Everton side and Sterling was performing at a level nowhere near his 2013/14 peak. We paid £90m based on age, potential and some good performances 12 months before we bought them. My view is Sterling has something, he wont ever be a £44m player but I think we will get some sort of value out of him. Stones, I am not so sure, I just don't really see much other than a guy who is relatively comfortable on the ball for a centre back. I think the only possibility of him becoming top-class is if he has 3 other top-class defenders alongside him. At the moment we have added Stones (a poor defender) to a poor defence, a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.